Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passenger temp display in v11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What causes the passenger temp to hide or show at the bottom of the screen in v11?

I’ll look down and notice it has appeared, or disappeared, mid-drive. I caught it once as it disappeared, but nothing was happening in the cabin that would seemingly trigger it.

My first thought was that turning on Split would cause it to appear, but that ain’t it. Regularly appears with Split off and no one in the passenger seat.

Ideas? Don’t recall any analog to this mystery in v10.

Reactions: JohnnyG and Boza
Do you have a 2021 that can turn off the passenger side separately from the driver's side? Maybe it disappears when that side is off?
EDIT: I realize you say it's intermittent... your seat sensor could be defective, or maybe sometimes you have some items on the seat...

It is not random, it's tied to whether or not air is coming out of the passenger vent.

If you have the vents synced, it will show both with the heat on (air automatically comes out of both sides), but turn off if it gets warm enough that the AC is on, and nobody is in the passenger seat (now air only comes out on the driver's side). I haven't had someone in the passenger seat with the AC on at this point w v11, so I don't know if it will come back on with someone sitting there (although I assume so, as well as if you manually turn the passenger vents on).

I am positive the right one disappears when they are synced and the AC kicks in, sending air only to the driver.

Reactions: GtiMart
Everyone is correct. It's completely random and somewhat related to the passenger vent, which is also random.

Also it's not a "passenger" temp control - it's intended to allow the passenger to control the *driver* temp.
Weird, I know. But now that everyone is working from home Tesla can't really keep up with their drug testing policies.

At least for the 3 I believe it depends on whether the car can turn off the passenger vents, which I believe is only a feature for heat pump cars.

Personally would like the ability to remove it, so we can have more favourites.
Passenger can always swipe up to access HVAC

It is not random, it's tied to whether or not air is coming out of the passenger vent.

If you have the vents synced, it will show both with the heat on (air automatically comes out of both sides), but turn off if it gets warm enough that the AC is on, and nobody is in the passenger seat (now air only comes out on the driver's side). I haven't had someone in the passenger seat with the AC on at this point w v11, so I don't know if it will come back on with someone sitting there (although I assume so, as well as if you manually turn the passenger vents on).

I am positive the right one disappears when they are synced and the AC kicks in, sending air only to the driver.
That could be correct. Kudos to you if you’ve figured out the exact circumstances that trigger the change. But, in any case, definitely not right.

IIUC, this model is:
* Sync is on AND mid level vents are open AND nobody is in the passenger seat AND cooling is on ==> air comes out only the driver's side AND only one temp control appears
* Else ==> air comes out both sides and both temp controls appear

Reactions: Sideman7
That could be correct. Kudos to you if you’ve figured out the exact circumstances that trigger the change. But, in any case, definitely not right.
About the only advantage to this I can come up with is that it provides a visual if those vents are on. I'm not sure anyone really needs or wants that though... I would take visual indictors for the seat heaters first for sure.

What type of car?

My wife’s Model 3 shows the pax side all the time.
Is your wife's car pre heat pump? I'm not sure if earlier cars turn the passenger side off when the seat is empty (?)

About the only advantage to this I can come up with is that it provides a visual if those vents are on. I'm not sure anyone really needs or wants that though... I would take visual indictors for the seat heaters first for sure.

Is your wife's car pre heat pump? I'm not sure if earlier cars turn the passenger side off when the seat is empty (?)
Correct on no heat pump. Wifes car is a Oct 2018 model 3.

I find it to be random... both when Split is on and off. Sometimes the passenger controls are there and sometimes not.

I originally thought that they were using the weight sensor on the passenger seat to determine if a passenger was sitting there, and only displaying it while a passenger was present. Pretty cool, I thought: dynamic Split control. It would make sense... the system would be most efficient when both are set to the same. There's no need for Split when there's no passenger.

However, I've noticed odd behavior with it. I had split turned on yesterday, and both temps were set the same, however the passenger side was blowing out cold air while the driver's side was blowing out hot air. We were parked in a parking garage, so no sun effect.

(USA LHD Late 2015 Model S P90DL w/ MCU2 Upgrade)