Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passenger vent not turning off when no passenger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all. Recently took delivery of my Model Y and I am learning a lot about it. I know that the front passenger vent is supposed to turn off when there is no passenger sitting in the seat but that does not seem to always happen. Sometimes I will look at the AC controls and see that the passenger side has stopped blowing but most of the time on my commute to work, I see that the passenger side vent is still open. Does any one know how this is supposed to work? Does it open both vents to bring the cabin to the desired temperature first and then turn off the unneeded vent? Please let me know.

What is the temperature like where you are? If the heat is on, it will blow out of the passenger vents regardless if someone is there or not. When it switches to AC, it should shut off if nobody is in the seat.
I will have to try that. I usually observe this in the mornings when the heat is usually on. I can try to lower the temperature in the cabin to see if that is the case.

What is the temperature like where you are? If the heat is on, it will blow out of the passenger vents regardless if someone is there or not. When it switches to AC, it should shut off if nobody is in the seat.
Good to know! I took my new MYP out today to visit the DMV for plates. I noticed both driver and passenger vents were on (Auto), but I had temp set at 68 and it was in the 30's outside.

yeah I think I confirmed it. As sideman7 said, when the heat is on, then it will blow on both passenger and driver side vents regardless of whether there is a passenger or not. It's also the case that usually when the heat is on, the foot vents are on as well since heat rises.

Any idea why only when it's heating that the passenger vents do not turn off?

Seems like a bug to me. I noticed the passenger air was on last night after my passenger left the car. I put the car in Park then Drive and it didn't fix it. The manual says "When Model Y detects that there are no passengers sitting in the passenger seat, the passenger vent and controls automatically turn off." This is why I call it a bug. No mention of heat vs cooling. It then says "Adjust the climate settings to enable passenger air flow.". What does this even mean? Adjust what settings? Is the mere fact that I might adjust the climate settings enough to turn on the passenger air? What if I want it off?

Having driven the car through two heating and cooling seasons, I'd say that I'm way more sensitive to cold drafts in the winter than warm spots when the AC is on. I'm pretty sure that in the past the passenger heat did turn off when the seat wasn't occupied, and I would have to select it on manually because it made me feel uncomfortable. Maybe Tesla realized it was not the right thing to do in that situation and now it stays on?