Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passenger window goes right back up after opening door (Please help: Imminent road trip)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went out to my 3 today to replace the cabin filters. Opened the passenger door, window dropped down an inch as usual so it doesn't hit the trim. Fine. Moved the seat back. Then the passenger window spontaneously went all the way back up (so now if I close the door it would hit the trim). At the same time, the center screen changed to displaying the charging screen and was stuck on that. I lowered the passenger window using the control, then shut the door, unplugged the charger, got in the driver's seat and tested it again... Every time I open the passenger door, the window would go down an inch as it should, but then then a second later would go all the way back up. I thought perhaps this was related to the new close windows on walkaway feature, so I disabled that. After disabling that, the window worked correctly on door open (i.e., it stayed down an inch), but only one time. The next time I tried it, the window goes down an inch for a second, then goes right back up. I did a two-button reset. Same problem.

If anyone has any ideas, I would really appreciate help. Leaving for a road trip tomorrow morning, and can't get a service appointment today. Uggh.

If I can't reset this, is this something I should call roadside assistance for (even though I'm at my house).

Check the puddle light on the bottom of that door. If it gets disconnected, the window goes up. When I changed mine, I had some weird behavior similar to what you're describing and, strangely, I kept getting the "close center console gently" message along with the window going up and down. It turned out the puddle light I had installed had come loose and the connection wasn't good. I connected it firmly and haven't had the problem since. Until I figured that out, I was having to roll the windows all the way down before closing the door to avoid hitting the frame.

Check the puddle light on the bottom of that door. If it gets disconnected, the window goes up. When I changed mine, I had some weird behavior similar to what you're describing and, strangely, I kept getting the "close center console gently" message along with the window going up and down. It turned out the puddle light I had installed had come loose and the connection wasn't good. I connected it firmly and haven't had the problem since. Until I figured that out, I was having to roll the windows all the way down before closing the door to avoid hitting the frame.

That was it! One of the RPM Tesla puddle lights I installed like a year ago was out. Replaced it (I had an extra), and window works correctly again. You are a lifesaver. Really appreciate it.

That's why this forum is so great!

Last edited:

Not impacted by this, but help like this is exactly one of the reasons I still read this forum every day. Awesome work figuring out, and even better sharing it with someone who had an issue.

Bravo!

Reactions: Carolina Karl
That was it! One of the RPM Tesla puddle lights I installed like a year ago was out. Replaced it (I had an extra), and window works correctly again. You are a lifesaver. Really appreciate it.

Going to give this a try right now! Hopped into my car after work and nearly busted the window when i tried to close the door! Although, i havent ever upgraded or replaced my puddle light before, so if anything it may be a manufacturer defect for me.

Had the Model 3 in today for servicing the drivers door hinge for squeaking. They replaced the hinge/strap and as soon as I got home and opened the door, I noticed the window would only go all the way up and hit the trim.
I was afraid I’d break the window closing the door with window all the way up so started Googling the issue. After calibrating the window several times to no avail, rebooting the car also proved fruitless. When I pulled down the puddle light, low and behold, it was disconnected!
After partially removing the door panel, I finally was able to snag it and pull out a little slack so I could reconnect it and that was it!
I had made a Mobil call for next week before I tackled this being fearful I’d break the window, so I cancelled it thanks to you all!
Many thanks!
Geez!
You’d think they’d be more careful!