Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passenger window rolls down and up slightly when drivers door is shut.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

1plavs

‘22 MYP, White/Black
Mar 29, 2021
MKE
Mobile service just told me it’s normal for the passenger side window to go down slightly and back up when the drivers side door closes. Because of the cold. It was an OTA.

I still find this weird.

It's normal for all windows to readjust a bit lower when the car wakes up and it's cold enough outside. This might only happen as you open a door / unlock the car etc... Not sure of the exact trigger, but it's done that for years. Instead of keeping the windows lower all the time, they are only lowered when it's under a certain temperature (somewhere not too high above freezing). The target temperature is the thing that has changed with a software update maybe last year. Before that it waited until freezing, and by then it was too late.

It's normal for all windows to readjust a bit lower when the car wakes up and it's cold enough outside. This might only happen as you open a door / unlock the car etc... Not sure of the exact trigger, but it's done that for years. Instead of keeping the windows lower all the time, they are only lowered when it's under a certain temperature (somewhere not too high above freezing). The target temperature is the thing that has changed with a software update maybe last year. Before that it waited until freezing, and by then it was too late.
I only see the passenger side window doing this, not the rear? I’ll have to double check.

I have to say I haven't checked what happens on my car. I expect the windows to move/adjust so I don't pay attention to it. Logically all 4 need the same adjustment but I do not know for sure what the car does. Maybe that's why there were a few people reporting shattered rear windows around here, if the back doesn't adjust... :)

All four windows do that to avoid window trim damage. Completely normal on frameless windows.
I’ll have to look because I don’t think all 4 do that by me. Plus my passenger side door tends to rattle when I close my drivers side door which is what made me discover this. I have owned a ‘21 MYLR and now with the ‘22 MYP I honestly never knew this. I’m usuall lay really good at analyzing all updates that come out as well.

See I am referring to something else. When I open my drivers side door that window slightly rolls down. At the same time when I sit inside and close the drivers side door the passenger window moves slightly down and up.
Oh I see. Yeah, now that you mention that. My Model Y does the same thing sometimes. I close the driver side door, and its window goes up (as it should). But then I can hear the window on the passenger side door go up as well, which does not seem normal. I do not think this happens every time.

At about 40F(my estimate), the windows will start to move down slightly to clear the trim in case they get frozen when the Teslas vehicle is unoccupied. They move about 5mm, less than they move when you open the car door. Mine started doing this recently in the NE, where temps have been rapidly cycling from the 60s down to the 30s.

When I park my car for the night, it may not be cold enough to activate the feature. All windows close completely. When I wake the asleep and now cold car up in the morning (because ambient fell below the trigger level), it will do this once the computer updates the outside temp.

If you don't get in the car, when you close the door the windows will go all the way up and close, then move down quickly. We got this update in the middle of winter last year, and I remember thinking my car was broken.

If you get in the car while this feature is active, the door you opened will lower to the normal opening distance, then all four windows should completely close. Pay attention to the passenger window when you first get in the car. I tested this by getting in and staring at the passenger window as I shut the driver’s door. The passenger window, down with the feature active, shouldn't have moved when you opened the driver door, but It should move back up slightly and make a small clunk to close with the other rear windows. Mine move probably less than a cm.

If you’re not paying attention, then the movement to fully closed when you first get in is barely noticeable. I was initially worried about it, but now see it as normal behavior and a warning sign that region will be limited. (Which was also "fixed" with a recent update)

This feature apparently saved me from window damage when my car was parked outside on a frosty morning. The car unlocked, and the window did not drop slightly when I pushed the door handle the way it usually does. I was still able to open the door without the window hitting the trim. My drivers window would not respond to pressing the window control button, even with the door open. It started working again after driving a few miles. Since that day I’ve learned that you can use a credit card or Tesla key card to free up a frozen window by inserting the card between the glass and the lower window trim.

Reactions: GtiMart
When I park my car for the night, it may not be cold enough to activate the feature. All windows close completely. When I wake the asleep and now cold car up in the morning (because ambient fell below the trigger level), it will do this once the computer updates the outside temp.
Has anyone noticed whether just opening the Tesla app on your phone (and waiting for it to wake up and update the interior and exterior temperatures) will trigger the windows moving down? So for example, if it's 50F when I park, then later the temperature drops to 35F, and I open the app at that point, will the windows drop to the "freezing" position?