Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passing fees to customers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After the fact, I noticed on the sales contract that in our state, Oregon, there is a vehicle privlege tax.
  • The vehicle privilege tax is a tax for the privilege of selling vehicles in Oregon.

• One would think that the dealer would pay this but it was added on to our contract and we paid it. After the fact ( and the bliss of a new car ) I realized Tesla passes along what they should be paying. Must be for the privilege of owning a Tesla..yeah..

After the fact, I noticed on the sales contract that in our state, Oregon, there is a vehicle privlege tax.
  • The vehicle privilege tax is a tax for the privilege of selling vehicles in Oregon.

• One would think that the dealer would pay this but it was added on to our contract and we paid it. After the fact ( and the bliss of a new car ) I realized Tesla passes along what they should be paying. Must be for the privilege of owning a Tesla..yeah..

It's a shitty practice but it's also common in many industries.

I’m sorry you got hit with a suprise fee, but you can't seriously expect that costs to a seller aren't going to be passed down to the consumer.

I just googled it, the top result was for a Ford dealership describing it. Clearly not a Tesla thing.

I see Oregon.gov describes it, as you say, as a tax for the privilege of selling. But given the name, and the fact that it's specifically for new(ish) cars, and the current left coast political climate I can't help but wonder if the intent is to punish you for being able to afford something more than a clunker. I suggest contacting your elected officials. Or contacting candidates running against them.

Last edited:
Reactions: gvme and JediJD
I’m sorry you got hit with a suprise fee, but you can't seriously expect that costs to a seller aren't going to be passed down to the consumer.

I just googled it, the top result was for a Ford dealership describing it. Clearly not a Tesla thing.

I see Oregon.gov describes it, as you say, as a tax for the privilege of selling. But given the name, and the fact that it's specifically for new(ish) cars, and the current left coast political climate I can't help but wonder if the intent is to punish you for being able to afford something more than a clunker. I suggest contacting your elected officials. Or contacting candidates running against them.
Nail on the head.

Reactions: TunaBug
Gandhiji's_Three_Monkeys.jpeg