Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passing Lane Mirror Signal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is the possibility that someone two lanes over will try to merge into the same space that you are trying to merge into, or into the space slightly behind but still overlapping (the usual "blind spot").
The car will beep at you if that happens.

This is under autopilot and I have had it checked on. It would be nice if this occurred when not on autopilot is what I'm suggesting since im not always on autopilot.
Again, this is false. The warning beep will definitely beep and warn you even if you're not actively using Autopilot. And I know this because it's happened twice, while NOT on AP. It is already working as you suggested.

Last edited:
Reactions: PianoAl and rpiotro
The car will beep at you if that happens.

Again, this is false. The warning beep will definitely beep and warn you even if you're not actively using Autopilot. And I know this because it's happened twice, while NOT on AP. It is already working as you suggested.
I don't think we are talking about the same thing. I don't want a warning if a collision is immanent. I want an audible warning if I put on a blinker to change lanes and there is a car in the blind spot. It does not work that way on my 2018 M3, I tested it extensively today.

That's fine if it works for you. But don't claim my statement is false when you aren't in the car testing it with me. Have a good day.

• Funny
Reactions: XPsionic
I don't think we are talking about the same thing. I don't want a warning if a collision is immanent. I want an audible warning if I put on a blinker to change lanes and there is a car in the blind spot. It does not work that way on my 2018 M3, I tested it extensively today.

That's fine if it works for you. But don't claim my statement is false when you aren't in the car testing it with me. Have a good day.
I agree with you, that'd be a good feature to have (although still much inferior to a light on the mirror like most other cars).

I'm sorry I couldn't understand you earlier. "It would be nice if this occurred when not on autopilot is what I'm suggesting since im not always on autopilot." doesn't sound the same as "I don't want a warning if a collision is immanent. I want an audible warning if I put on a blinker to change lanes and there is a car in the blind spot", I absolutely agree with your suggestion and hope that would be added at some point.

Reactions: Wnuk
This worked for me on all my other cars for the last 20 years except for the Model 3, there's just not enough adjustment on the driver's side for me to completely eliminate the blind spot in this car unfortunately.
Strange, because it DOES work for me, and I can get Model 3 side mirrors within 95% of ideal coverage.

YES! Every time this blindspot issue comes up, several posters respond with "learn how to adjust your mirrors to eliminate the blindspot."

Yep, because it works!

The problem is that is not possible with the Model 3. The mirrors do not have enough horizontal range of motion to move them out away from the car enough to eliminate the blindspot.

All these excuses, and blaming the equipment.
It's always someone else's fault.

Each time I get into a rental car, the mirrors are pointed towards the body of the car. For no reason.
I always can adjust them within 90% of perfect, and definitely in the perfectly safe zone of covering blind spots. Get into the next rental - same story.
What are the chances it's always equipment fault, and not the drivers?

1671157892058.png

First of all, I said it works for me in every other car other than my Model 3, same with @danarcha , so the tip itself is fine, we use it to great effect and obviously wish it works in our Model 3 as well.

Secondly, you need to consider that not everyone sits in the same position as you in a car, and maybe some combination of seat and mirror position excludes setting the mirror in a way that eliminates the blind spot? You think @danarcha and I wouldn't try to set the mirror correctly after years of making it work in other cars? I, like you, also set the mirrors to eliminate blind spot in all the cars I drive, and all of them except for the Model 3 gives me enough adjustment to do so. In fact I own 2 other cars right now where I can set the mirrors out to eliminate blind spots.

There's no need to resort to personal attacks.

Last edited:
Reactions: danarcha
Strange, because it DOES work for me, and I can get Model 3 side mirrors within 95% of ideal coverage.

I am truly happy and trilled with excitement that it works for you. But have you ever considered that not everyone's eyeballs are in the exact same position in three dimensional space inside the model 3. Some of us are taller, or shorter, or have longer or shorter torsos, and some of us prefer to sit closer or further away from the steering wheel. That is why the mirrors have to provide adjustments up and down, left and right. I have been driving cars for 36 years and I am telling you, the outside mirrors in the Tesla model 3 do not provide enough lateral range of motion FOR ME to adjust them to remove the blindspot FOR ME. The fact that the mirrors work for you is completely irrelevant to my situation.

1671159632976.png

Reactions: XPsionic
When I first got my car last year I had an incident while trying to get familiar with it. I started to move to the right into an exit ramp and another car came up behind me into my blind spot. My car sounded an alarm, flashed a red car on the screen and actually pulled me over to the left to avoid a collision. I was surprised but also impressed. I didn't know it could do that.

When I first got my car last year I had an incident while trying to get familiar with it. I started to move to the right into an exit ramp and another car came up behind me into my blind spot. My car sounded an alarm, flashed a red car on the screen and actually pulled me over to the left to avoid a collision. I was surprised but also impressed. I didn't know it could do that.
Isn't the "blind" spot on the left; not right? Look to your right and you'll see all you need. Some people only use the mirrors, and do not look.