Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passing voice commands to the attached phone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2020
Arkansas
Is there a way to get voice commands to get passed directly to the attached phone? If I tap and release, or press and hold, it seems the car responds. It would be nice if tap and release when to the car's system and press and hold went to the phone, or some other such mechanism that would allow me to send voice commands directly to the phone without having to touch the phone.

What type of phone are you using? I have no problem triggering Siri by saying the “Hey Siri” phrase without touching the phone or the car.
I believe that's the phone listening for the command vs. having the car forward the voice command. Works okay when the phone is out in the open but less well if it's in a pocket or bag.

I've driven some cars where a long press on the voice command button would trigger Siri. Don't know of such an option in the Tesla, though.

Reactions: LoudMusic
I believe that's the phone listening for the command vs. having the car forward the voice command. Works okay when the phone is out in the open but less well if it's in a pocket or bag.

I've driven some cars where a long press on the voice command button would trigger Siri. Don't know of such an option in the Tesla, though.
Yep I have my phone on the charger so voice activation works and the command is routed through the car’s audio system.

I don’t know of any way to activate otherwise. Another reason for CarPlay support.

I think that adding a way to connect to the phone using the handsfree Bluetooth profile (thus activating the phone's smart assistant) should be trivial for Tesla. For example, with a long press of the voice command button or… with a "hey siri"/"ok google" voice command.

And now, something funny I have just found out: the voice command "hey siri" does exist! (but, oddly, "ok google" doesn't) The car reacts launching its Messages app (i.e.: the Phone app inside the Messages tab). Unfortunately, it does not actually connect to Siri. Bummer.