Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passive entry without triggering Sentry recording?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

willow_hiller

Apr 3, 2019
Maryland
I've searched for an answer for this but couldn't find anything yet.

Is it possible to unlock your Model 3 via passive entry while Sentry Mode is enabled without triggering a recording? I figured it would be able to sense my phone's Bluetooth and disable sentry mode, but every time I haven't manually unlocked or manually disabled sentry mode, I end up with a saved clip of myself.

The iOS app Stats for Tesla offers a “Disable on Approach” feature.

Thanks for a possible solution! Android phones only, unfortunately. Plus I'm very wary about giving any API access to a third party. Even if they've got good security, it's tantamount to making copies of your car key and handing them out.

Is there really no native way to use Sentry Mode and passive entry together without ending up triggering recordings?

usually I've got the app open to set the interior temp on my way to the car anyway, so just turn off sentry at the same time, before I'm "in range" for it be triggered.

That's what I've been doing as well for the moment. That, or unlocking it (since I figure sentry won't be active after the unlock). But the number of times I've needed to say to my wife "Wait honey, don't open the door yet I haven't turned off sentry mode." is growing now that we've got the always-on option in 2019.16.2

I guess it depends on how you approach the vehicle and how quick you are. Usually it does not trigger for me when I enter the vehicle unless I linger a bit right next to the car for some reason. It never triggers if I approach from the back and load something in the trunk before entering the car.

I guess it depends on how you approach the vehicle and how quick you are. Usually it does not trigger for me when I enter the vehicle unless I linger a bit right next to the car for some reason. It never triggers if I approach from the back and load something in the trunk before entering the car.

Yeah if you are not in view of the 3 cameras for more one second... before you could pull the door handle, it won't trigger. It is really difficult LOL. It disabled it on my MX every time with the keyfob, but not with the M3 on phone as key. I think it is because Sentry Mode recording is disabled when the car is unlocked, and with the MX, the keyfob unlocks the car when I was still about 6 feet way.

• Informative
Reactions: AustinM3LR