TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

"Passive" Thermal Management

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ljeffers, Dec 16, 2010.

1. ljeffers

ljeffers New Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm a grad student interning at a small start-up called AllCell Tecnologies. AllCell has patented a technology that "passively" cools batteries. Instead of having to use either an air or liquid coolant for thermal management, the "PCM" or phase change material they developed plays the role.

It's a really cool product and has some great benefits over the coolants used today such as better safety, lower costs and better temperature management.

AllCell has developed several prototypes for some EV and LEV companies, but they're still trying to get to market. First, has anyone heard of a similar type of product (I haven't found anything that compares in all my research) and second, would anyone know any contacts or companies that would be interested in learning more about this? If you want to check out the website, it's www.allcelltech.com.

Thanks,
    Lindsay

2. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Sounds 'nifty'!

What happens to your material if there were a thermal runaway event with one of the cells? Does the wax melt around it and prevent propagation to neighbors?

3. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Given the chance, paraffin burns.

4. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Found this now:
    http://www.allcelltech.com/technology/advantage/thermalrunaway
    http://www.allcelltech.com/technology/advantage/howitworks

So does the graphite matrix raise the burning temp too?

5. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

Heh, poor guy has no idea what he just stepped into with all the EEs on the forums here. I'm sure they are all breaking out the fine-toothed comb.

6. 100thMonkey

100thMonkey Member

my two thoughts:
    preventing thermal run away is not the same as protecting battery life. In the Leaf we can see that passive cooling works to prevent disastrous fires from occurring but in places like Phoenix AZ, where one can literally bake cookies in their car on a hot sunny day, the summer heat is proving to have disastrous effects on range. Secondly, passive management would do little to preserve range in cold.

I have to say, from what I've seen in the winter with the Leaf and from things I'm reading about the effects on extreme heat, I'm a fan of active management until someone really proves that they have a passive management approach that is up to the task in extreme heat and cold.