Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passport 9500ci radar detector - GPS sensor question - windshield interference ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there are other threads on the Passport 9500i concealed radar detector / jammer... but I still haven't found an answer to a problem I'm having. I had this system installed in a new P85D and everything is great except the GPS antenna doesn't get signal properly. There must be metal within the windshield.

I've tried 2 places under the dashboard, including the mesh area and it has a lot of trouble acquiring a signal. On rare occasions, it acquires the signal and then holds it, but it's rare.

Has anyone tried other locations or have suggestions? Has anyone tried under the front nose cone with solid success?

thanks.

There is a metal film in the windshield which will interfere with various radio signals. Most importantly, it will interfere with Radar signals, so your radar detector will be much less sensitive. Most likely you will need to look at a permanently installed detector which has sensors mounted in the nosecone.

I am in a similar boat with my P85D, and I haven't yet decided what I will do, but I am thinking about a STI-R.

There is a metal film in the windshield which will interfere with various radio signals. Most importantly, it will interfere with Radar signals, so your radar detector will be much less sensitive. Most likely you will need to look at a permanently installed detector which has sensors mounted in the nosecone.

I am in a similar boat with my P85D, and I haven't yet decided what I will do, but I am thinking about a STI-R.

I think you misread my post. The 9500i is a concealed radar / laser jamming system. Everything is inside the front grill area... but i'm trying to find the best spot to put the GPS antenna.

thanks.

I have a STIR up to a few weeks ago the GPS was picking up signals with no issue it was mounted under the dash now it will not pick up the GPS.
I have the same issue with the GPS on the dash cam it will not pick up my speed or location.

I have a STIR up to a few weeks ago the GPS was picking up signals with no issue it was mounted under the dash now it will not pick up the GPS.
I have the same issue with the GPS on the dash cam it will not pick up my speed or location.

yeah. i think if there are strong and many satellites available, it will acquire them... and once it has them it can hold it pretty well. But the acquisition process is very difficult with the Tesla windshield so i'm going to move mine to the nose cone and see how that goes. Just a lot of work to snake a wire and remove the frunk lining, etc.

I don't get it, I can use the GPS in my phone just fine when in the car.

Your phone "GPS" uses other sources like cell tower triangulation and local wi-fi networks (i.e. Skyhook) to assist in geo-location when real GPS signals aren't available or weak. Also, your phone can likely receive GPS signals through the side windows and sunroof that dashcams and the 9500ci can't receive.

being one of those Unicorn Tesla Model X reservation holders,what is a consensus on the type of detectors specially laser and the regular radar detectors which work best. Most brands they are the best ever.

If one spends a buck and a quarter on that vehicle I'm looking at putting several added features on my X .

Any suggestion?

being one of those Unicorn Tesla Model X reservation holders,what is a consensus on the type of detectors specially laser and the regular radar detectors which work best. Most brands they are the best ever.

If one spends a buck and a quarter on that vehicle I'm looking at putting several added features on my X .

Any suggestion?

STiR with AntiLaser Priority Jammed

10% Savings on Select Radar Detectors Jammers - RadarBusters.com