Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PAST EVENT: Tesla Meet-up for Dinner at Sonny's BBQ & Drag Racing at Homestead Miami Speedway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Larry Chanin

President, Florida Tesla Enthusiasts
Aug 22, 2011
Sarasota, Florida
Homestead Miami Speedway.png

Join Florida Tesla Enthusiasts and Let's go drag racing!!!!

December 6th Friday night racing at Homestead Miami Speedway!
At One Ralph Sanchez Speedway Blvd Homestead, FL 33035.

Plan to meet up for a fun social and early dinner at Sonny’s B-B-Q at 4:00 pm. It's a Supercharger location so it's programmed into your navigation system!

The track opens at 6:00 pm, racing starts at 7:00 pm and the track closes at 11:00 pm.

The cost for drag racing is $20 if you register online and $25 at the gate.

Register online for the track here.

If you have questions contact Denise at [email protected], Tel: 954-540-1159

Open to the public

This club event is open to the public, but we request that in addition to registering at the track, that you also register on the Florida Tesla Enthusiast (FTE) website to permit us to get a headcount of participants. Responding to a Facebook invitation is not sufficient.

For non-members of FTE, we collect emails to notify registrants if things change. We never use this information for any other purpose.

Larry

Just got word from the track for those who might have similar questions as I had...

1/8 mile side by side racing

Glass roof cars require driver to wear helmet.

Track is open to anyone with a car. This is not a Tesla only event. Still fun though! I guess this is a normal test and tune night that we'll be attending.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Larry Chanin
If the rules are similar to the Palm Beach track I would bring a helmet if you have one. Also, wear long pants and closed toe shoes.

For those who have never drag raced here are some tips.

If you have a performance model activate the easter egg ludicrous mode while Supercharging at Sonny's.

Use launch mode if you have it. If racing another car, engage launch mode as soon as both lights on both sides of the tree are lit up. If you really want to know what is going on watch the youtube vid below that explains the starting tree.

Do everything possible to arrive at track with the highest state of charge you can (assuming you want to get your best times).

Turn off creep.

Turn off AC before pulling into staging lanes (dripping water + drag racing = bad)

If you don't care about racing the car next to you and just want to get your best time... Take your time at the line, set launch mode (if you have it), and go when you're ready. Ignore the car next to you.

If you don't have launch mode, set the brake hold once both lights of tree are lit up on your side and when that last yellow light lights up just punch the accelerator and hold on. If you wait until you see green you waited too long (assuming you're trying to race the car next to you).

Remember to get your time slips. Not sure where they have them at this track.

I might get crap for this but I would caution racing against older cars (Fox body Mustangs, Camaros, muscle cars, etc...) or anyone doing big burnouts. Percentage wise, these are the people that usually crash. YMMV but this is my experience.

Have fun.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Informative
Reactions: Larry Chanin