Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PAST EVENT: Tesla Shootout at StreetCarDrags Palm Beach International Raceway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

fiksegts

Jan 6, 2013
Miami
If you want to race heads up with other High Performance and Exotic Street Cars, then mark your calendar for Sunday, January, 17, 2016, because StreetCarDrags is the event you need to attend. This event is held only once a year and racer spots sell out fast. The number of racers is limited so participants can have a full day racing, from 9 am to 5 pm. Also, this year they will have a “call out” board set up at the base of the drag tower so racers can challenge other racers to a friendly heads-up drag race.

Where:
Palm Beach International Raceway
17047 Bee Line Highway
Jupiter, FL 33478

NEW DATE &TIME:
Date: Sunday, January 31st, 2016
Time: 9:00am – 5:00pm

We currently have 5 Tesla's racing so far with two P90D Ludicrous cars. In addition to the Model Ss, we would like to get a Tesla Roadster to participate.
I will be there with my new Model S P90DL and possibly the Model X P90DL Founders, we had a bunch of Teslas out last year and hope for another great turn out.

For question email [email protected].

StreetCarDrags.com

It costs $75 to register to race. Requirements to race are:

• Long pants
  • Driver's License
  • Helmet

REGISTRATIONS & TICKETS

Spectators are of course welcome.

A parking area for Teslas will be available. You need to purchase VIP tickets to access that area. Early Bird VIP parking costs $20 and includes 1 adult admission. ($25 at the gate.)

CHARGING:
For racers 50 AMP RV Chargers with 14-50's are available all day.
The West Palm Beach Superchargers are about 17 miles away.

Following the event there will be a club dinner meet-up at
Rocco's Tacos and Tequila Bar at 5090 PGA Blvd, PGA Commons.

We look forward to seeing you at this exciting event.

Thanks!

Brooks

PS Non-club members are welcome to join us.

However, if you are not a member of the club, but you are a permanent, or part-time Florida resident and would like to join our state-wide Florida Tesla club, please click on this link to the Florida Tesla Enthusiasts sign-up page.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Brooks. Do you think the chargers will actually be working this year and accessible? Last year I think we only found one that was actually working and not hogged by an RV.
BTW - am getting a Founders P90DLX also. Not sure I'll have it in time...

Hey Brooks. Do you think the chargers will actually be working this year and accessible? Last year I think we only found one that was actually working and not hogged by an RV.
BTW - am getting a Founders P90DLX also. Not sure I'll have it in time...
The good news on charging this year is that we have the WPB Supercharger close enough for a top-off on Sunday morning.

I'm registered to be racing my P90DL. However, the big question is: Will P90DLs get the 10.9 second OTA update (or whatever Motor Trend was running) before race day?

I am wondering how many "15 second" runs we get because of F!$%#ed up launch control :) . I am "training" and quite often I do not get it right ! I might just race without it as I also do get tire slip on my tests.

Is there a breakfast place at the WBP SC we can meet ?

I am wondering how many "15 second" runs we get because of F!$%#ed up launch control :) . I am "training" and quite often I do not get it right ! I might just race without it as I also do get tire slip on my tests.

Is there a breakfast place at the WBP SC we can meet ?
I've tried Launch Mode numerous times since I got v7.1 a couple days ago and it seemed to work well each time. I didn't hear any tire squeal or see any tire marks. I even tried it today on a wet street and, to my surprise, it worked well. However, I did get the "Both pedals pressed" message instead of "Launch Mode Enabled" when the windshield wipers were running (which makes sense). After I turned off the wipers, it worked.

I've never been to the WPB SC, but I looked at it on Google Earth and it doesn't look like a breakfast-friendly location since it is at the Service Center. Tesla's website says 24/7 availability but it looks like it's inside a gated yard. I hope is will be open early Sunday morning.

Brooks,

When and how will ticket holders be notified if Sunday's StreetCarDrags are canceled?

Will the event be rescheduled to another date? If so, is there any idea what that date might be, since the forecasts aren't looking good?

2016-01-17 weather.jpg

Brooks,

When and how will ticket holders be notified if Sunday's StreetCarDrags are canceled?

Will the event be rescheduled to another date? If so, is there any idea what that date might be, since the forecasts aren't looking good?

View attachment 108053

Hi Bill,

Hopefully Brooks will chime in as well.

I'm not sure how the ticket holders get notified. I received the following response from an event organizer.

Any rain will cause a delay as we can't race if the track is wet. If it rains slightly in the am and PBIR can dry the track, we will be racing on Sunday.

If it becomes a deluge and the track can't be dried, then the event will be considered a rain-out and Feb 7th will be the rain-out date.

The Accuweather forecast has changed since last night and has the rain ending around 11 am. It was ending 12- 1 pm as of yesterday.

That said, I will watch the forecast and hopefully we will be racing Sunday.

If he notifies me I'll try to send out a mass mailing to our club members who RSVPed yes or maybe.

Larry

We just sent this email to the participants:

I hope everyone is enjoying the warm sunshine in South Florida with cloudless skies and no rain……Well, that’s the email we wanted to write; however, it appears that the weather may not be cooperating for our event on Sunday.

That said, we are closely monitoring the weather forecast as it is ever changing. According to the latest weather report we received, the chance of rain on Sunday drops dramatically after 10 am when a cold front moves in. As such, if the forecast stays the same, we may start the races a little later on Sunday and end a little later to avoid the rain and enjoy the cold front. If the rain drenches the track and we can’t race on Sunday, we have locked down a make-up date of Sunday, February 7, 2016. Everyone’s tickets will be good for the February 7[SUP]th[/SUP] date.

We hope the weather continues to change for the positive and we have nothing but sunshine on Sunday; however, we have a back-up plan in case we get rained out.

We’ll keep you posted.

Any update?
Event UPDATE !!

It looks like the weather may cooperate tomorrow, just not in the morning.

According to the latest weather forecast, it appears that it will rain in the early morning hours tomorrow, and clear up around 11AM when a cold front is supposed to move in with cooler, drier air.

That said, we are moving our start time from 9 AM to 12 noon tomorrow to give PBIR staff ample time to dry the track if it rains. Starting at noon should also give us the benefit of better air (lower DA) for racing. Due to the late start, we will keep the track open until at least 7 pm.

If anything else changes, we will let you know.

See you tomorrow.

Steve and Brooks

Sad to read about the cancellation. I had a car filled with my two sons and dad, and I didn't read the email until I was near the St. Lucie SC, so I turned around there.

But..... as I stopped in St Lucie to charge, saw 5 MS's (most I've ever seen at a SC) talked to some cool Tesla owners including one who just bought their 70 yesterday and was stopping just to talk about it. Then came home and read of an MX P90DL at the next event. Thank you God for turning what was a pretty down day......

see you all in two weeks......

Well, those traveling a distance were already enroute when the event coordinator sent out the email notification.
So here we were at the raceway ticket area even though the event was postponed due to weather.

Rained out at Palm Beach International Raceway.jpg

About 8 cars showed up despite the late cancellation.

Rained out at Palm Beach International Raceway b.jpg

Some of the folks that were at the Raceway.

Palm Beach Jan 17th Vic and Angelos.jpg

Palm Beach Jan 17th Vic and Angelos b.jpg

We re-grouped and drove to Vics & Angelos. A very nice Italian restaurant and ironically the weather was perfect for outdoor dining.

Palm Beach Jan 17th Palm Beach Sales and Service.jpg
Palm Beach Jan 17th Palm Beach Supercharger.jpg

This was my first visit to the West Palm Beach Sales & Service Center and Superchargers.

Larry

Last edited:
I can see the West Palm Beach Supercharger being very very busy on Sunday. Is there any way to distribute the number of cars there? I don't care if I leave the races for a hour or so and then come back but my route home will require 90% charge. There are no other SCs on my route home via SR70.

How about a cell phone distribution list of Teslas attending? Inquire via broadcast if any of us is there and how many stalls are available at the time? Everyone need not reply only anyone that happens to be at the SC. If no one replies then the assumption is that there are available stalls.

Those that have the range make a point of not using the West Palm SC? Everyone's inclination is to use the one closest even if they have plenty of range to hit Plantation or Port St. Lucie. Racers will almost certainly have to use West Palm.

Idk...I foresee a long line.

Last edited:
I can see the West Palm Beach Supercharger being very very busy on Sunday. Is there any way to distribute the number of cars there? I don't care if I leave the races for a hour or so and then come back but my route home will require 90% charge. There are no other SCs on my route home via SR70.

How about a cell phone distribution list of Teslas attending? Inquire via broadcast if any of us is there and how many stalls are available at the time? Everyone need not reply only anyone that happens to be at the SC. If no one replies then the assumption is that there are available stalls.

Those that have the range make a point of not using the West Palm SC? Everyone's inclination is to use the one closest even if they have plenty of range to hit Plantation or Port St. Lucie. Racers will almost certainly have to use West Palm.

Idk...I foresee a long line.

Hi Vince,

I have sent out a mass mailing to our members who have RSVPed "yes" and "maybe" requesting that members who are local and do not need a charge to return home retrain from charging at the West Palm Beach Superchargers.

Larry

Last edited:
Being there is not much to do at the West Palm Beach SC we should all be with our cars at the charger. Sure fellow owners will not over charge. Hope this doesn't turn into a Tejon Ranch with a 2 hour wait. They had to hand out numbers. We are coming from the west coast also but thought it best to have dinner and spend the night on the east coast and charge the next morning. Hope Roco's is still on the agenda.

Being there is not much to do at the West Palm Beach SC we should all be with our cars at the charger. Sure fellow owners will not over charge. Hope this doesn't turn into a Tejon Ranch with a 2 hour wait. They had to hand out numbers. We are coming from the west coast also but thought it best to have dinner and spend the night on the east coast and charge the next morning. Hope Roco's is still on the agenda.

Hi Bonnie,

I agree.

Its an all day event so hopefully charging can be spread out during the day. If you are staying overnight charging should be even less of an issue.

Regarding Rocco's Tacos, I consider this a "play it by ear" type meet-up because people will be outdoors for the entire day and it will be impossible to predict the attritution rate. I unfortunately can't make it to this second attempt, but towards the end of the event we will need someone to ask the "last men and women standing" if they still are interested in meeting for dinner at Rocco's.

Larry

Took this picture at the event yesterday. I don't know drag racing but one thing is for sure Model S was the only stock production car there yesterday so far as I could tell. So head to head they lost most of the races.

Also it seems that all of the P85/90DLs consistently ran the same quarter mile speeds and almost always had a good start minus those getting used to using Launch Mode.

Finally the MS cars and their owners were scattered all over the place so I didn't get the chance to meet but one or two people. Would be nice if we had a Tesla canopy to pull the cars and people together for these things.

0131161339a[1].jpg

Last edited: