TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Past meets present: "Tom Swift and His Electric Runabout" (1910)

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by KarenRei, Jul 31, 2017.

1. KarenRei

KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/950/950-h/950-h.htm

I'll stop here ;)

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  2. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Member

(dating myself here...). I saved for, bought and read most of the TS books waaay back when I was in grade school. Never read this one until now. What a kick! Same with his “flying lab” (Boeing 747), earth tunnel machine and other modern marvels..... but first disclosed thru a “boy inventor” by Victor Appleton the author. Whoa!!!! Thanks for the memory jog.

• Like x 1
  3. KarenRei

KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei

#3 KarenRei, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    I really like all of the foresight, whether coincidental or not ;) Wind power with battery buffers; metal oxide electrode batteries with lithium in the electrolyte; fast charging / battery swapping; fast "racing" EVs with batteries under the floor, which go hundreds of miles on a charge; early adopters setting up improvised charging networks; etc :)

It's really a "the future that could have been" thing. Battery research really died out after gasoline won the race to become the main passenger vehicle propulsion system (in large part because of the starter motor - EVs remained popular with women longer because they were easier to start, cleaner, didn't buck, etc - unfortunately having the negative side effect that men didn't want to buy them.) And as for wind power they were experimenting with it up to the 1940s, when a huge commercial scale turbine was built in 1941 - but they failed to reinforce it properly because of wartime material shortages and it broke at a known weak point; nobody tried again for decades.

4. gregd

gregd Active Member

5. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

@KarenRei thanks for your post! What a wonderful story. I wonder if Elon is aware of it...

6. Off Shore

Off Shore Supporting Member

It wasn't just batteries that were missing during the ~hundred-year "detour" from electric into gasoline. We also had to wait for solid-state switching (i.e. transistors) to enable the use of batteries to power AC motors, greatly increasing efficiency, power control and allowing regeneration.

• Informative x 1