Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Past meets present: "Tom Swift and His Electric Runabout" (1910)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

KarenRei

ᴉǝɹuǝɹɐʞ
Jul 18, 2017
Iceland
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/950/950-h/950-h.htm

"No, I haven't had a chance. In fact, when I invented the battery I had no idea of using it on a car I thought it might answer for commercial purposes, or for storing a current generated by windmills. But when I read that account in the papers of the Touring Club, offering a prize for the best electric car, it occurred to me that I might put my battery into an auto, and win."

"Hum," remarked Mr. Swift musingly. "I don't take much stock in electric autos, Tom. Gasolene seems to be the best, or perhaps steam, generated by gasolene. I'm afraid you'll be disappointed. All the electric runabouts I ever saw, while they were very nice cars, didn't seem able to go so very fast, or very far."

"That's true, but it's because they didn't have the right kind of a battery.

"What is it, Tom?" and his father peered about the shop.

"Why this motor has run an equivalent of two hundred miles on one charging of the battery! That's much better than I expected. I thought if I got a hundred out of it I'd be doing well. Dad, I believe, after I improve my battery a bit, that I'll have the very thing I want! I'll install a set of them in a car, and it will go like the wind.

"Well, Tom," remarked Mr. Sharp, after a pause following the lad's announcement. "I didn't know you had any ambitions in that line. Tell us more about the battery. What system do you use; lead plates and sulphuric acid?"

"Oh, that's out of date long ago," declared the lad.
"What solution do you use, Tom?" asked Mr. Swift. "I didn't get that far in questioning you before the crash came," he added.

"Well I have, in the experimental battery, a solution of potassium hydrate," replied the lad, "but I think I'm going to change it, and add some lithium hydrate to it. I think that will make it stronger."

But what about the motors and the battery?"

"They will be located under the middle of the car. There will be one set of batteries there, together with the motor, and another set of batteries will be placed under the removable seats in what I call the tonneau, though, of course, it isn't really that. A smaller set will also be placed forward, and there will be ample room for carrying tools and such things."

"About how far do you expect your car will go with one charging of the battery?"

"Well, if I can make it do three hundred miles I'll be satisfied, but I'm going to try for four hundred."

"What will you do when your battery runs out?"

"Recharge it."

"Suppose you're not near a charging station?"

"Well, Dad, of course those are some of the details I've got to work out. I'm planning a register gauge now, that will give warning about fifty miles before the battery is run down. That will leave me a margin to work on. And I'm going to have it fixed so I can take current from any trolley line, as well as from a regular charging station. My battery will be capable of being recharged very quickly, or, in case of need, I can take out the old cells and put in new ones.

I'll stop here ;)

(dating myself here...). I saved for, bought and read most of the TS books waaay back when I was in grade school. Never read this one until now. What a kick! Same with his “flying lab” (Boeing 747), earth tunnel machine and other modern marvels..... but first disclosed thru a “boy inventor” by Victor Appleton the author. Whoa!!!! Thanks for the memory jog.

Reactions: KarenRei
I really like all of the foresight, whether coincidental or not ;) Wind power with battery buffers; metal oxide electrode batteries with lithium in the electrolyte; fast charging / battery swapping; fast "racing" EVs with batteries under the floor, which go hundreds of miles on a charge; early adopters setting up improvised charging networks; etc :)

It's really a "the future that could have been" thing. Battery research really died out after gasoline won the race to become the main passenger vehicle propulsion system (in large part because of the starter motor - EVs remained popular with women longer because they were easier to start, cleaner, didn't buck, etc - unfortunately having the negative side effect that men didn't want to buy them.) And as for wind power they were experimenting with it up to the 1940s, when a huge commercial scale turbine was built in 1941 - but they failed to reinforce it properly because of wartime material shortages and it broke at a known weak point; nobody tried again for decades.

Last edited:
I really like all of the foresight, whether coincidental or not ;) Wind power with battery buffers; metal oxide electrode batteries with lithium in the electrolyte; fast charging / battery swapping; fast "racing" EVs with batteries under the floor, which go hundreds of miles on a charge; early adopters setting up improvised charging networks; etc :)

It's really a "the future that could have been" thing. Battery research really died out after gasoline won the race to become the main passenger vehicle propulsion system (in large part because of the starter motor - EVs remained popular with women longer because they were easier to start, cleaner, didn't buck, etc - unfortunately having the negative side effect that men didn't want to buy them.) And as for wind power they were experimenting with it up to the 1940s, when a huge commercial scale turbine was built in 1941 - but they failed to reinforce it properly because of wartime material shortages and it broke at a known weak point; nobody tried again for decades.

It wasn't just batteries that were missing during the ~hundred-year "detour" from electric into gasoline. We also had to wait for solid-state switching (i.e. transistors) to enable the use of batteries to power AC motors, greatly increasing efficiency, power control and allowing regeneration.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve