Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pathetic mileage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elevation change or head wind perhaps. If you enter the destination into the Tesla Navigation system you can display the estimated remaining battery charge when you reach the destination. While driving along the route you can view the actual and estimated consumption on the energy screen.

Normally on relatively flat terrain additional passengers and cargo won't make much difference. However if the route has you ascending a few thousand feet the additional load will show up in the Wh/mi.

Rain/heavy rain will have a significant impact on your Wh/mile.

Towing a trailer, carrying bicycles on a rack (on the tow hitch) or a cargo container would all impact your Wh/mile.

If none of these, then there is a chance one of the brake calipers is stuck causing the brake pad to rub against the brake rotor. The brake pad and rotor would become very hot (To test this carefully place your bare hand close to but not touching the brake components to feel for any excessive heat while avoiding potential burns to your hand.

Last edited:
You'll get used to it. Battery cars are not like gas cars. The faster you drive the more battery you use up. Anything over 65mph will eat up the battery quick. I have a weekend home 60 miles away. 90% of the drive the speed limit is 70mph. I drive 80mph. It eats up over 100 miles off the estimated battery. I've also done the drive slower around 70mph and it ate up considerably less estimated miles.

Again, you'll get used to it.

I have a brand new Y and first long drive my wattage is 500wh per mile which is pathetic. Any idea why? Avg speed was 70-75mph w 5 adults sitting.

Thanks.
P or LR? And how spirited are you being with the acceleration?

The display has graphs that show the consumption over different distances. If you did have a problem like the sticky caliper suggestion, I would expect the graph to be consistently elevated. If it's more about your lead foot or terrain, I think it would look more like a roller coaster.

In the P, having fun, I've averaging 310, and on a long road trip with a lot of aggressive passing, went to 350, I think. Though I've never had a full car of people.

Anything that affects aerodynamics will have a big impact. Are you carrying anything on the roof or have anything sticking out of the car? Windows open? Bikes in the back?

Another possiblity is that your tires are under inflated.

Yet another possibility is driving style. 75 is fast but not that fast. However, if you're repeatedly speeding up and down and using the regenerative brake, that will still lower your efficiency.

Reactions: GtiMart
Seems high. Here are my stats after a road trip from Richmond VA to Chicago. I drive my P like it should be driven on many occasions (ie, every drive). Was doing 75 pretty much the entire time.

PXL_20220605_132128999.jpg

Go 1000-2000 miles to let the tires break in before measuring consumption. Same goes when buying new tires. The first couple hundred miles are especially horrible. It'll get better, much better.