Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pathetic service in Plano Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla serviced my car to replace a recalled airbag. The tech broke my windshield in the process. It took 6 weeks to replace it. Later I had a 8mg chip (recalled item) replaced and I upgraded to the new infotainment system. Not only does it not work but now I don’t have FM radio and the streaming services won’t load. Tesla is going to come out and try to fix that. Lastly I had a rock chip in my windshield. I had it replaced but despite having an appointment set for 3 weeks Tesla didn’t have the part ready. It took 8 days to replace a windshield. I’m a first responder and I had to beg for a loaner vs the stupid Uber credits the give. For a car company that has the valuation greater then Ford they need to invest in their service department. One word PATHETIC!!!!

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Unfortunately Tesla Service is a known sore spot for many owners. I with there was an Electrified Garage/Gruber Motors/WK057/ or some other independent workshop that works on Teslas.

The only part that should not have surprised you is the loss of FM radio. The upgrade page is pretty clear there is another module needed to keep the radio features. I'm am somewhat surprised they let the car go without clearly testing the MCU2 upgrade though. I've had decent luck with them at Plano - had them do the MCU2 upgrade on my car and it at least worked when I got it back.

I agree with the hopes of an independent garage!! Someday!

I did know about the loss of FM w the upgrade. Lol my point is I don’t even have that to fall back onto. They took away FM and upgraded me to nothing that works.

I have an appointment (home visit) scheduled. Hopefully, that will do. It’s just frustrating to love this car, but in order to have something serviced you have to have several appointments.

I agree with the hopes of an independent garage!! Someday!

I did know about the loss of FM w the upgrade. Lol my point is I don’t even have that to fall back onto. They took away FM and upgraded me to nothing that works.

I have an appointment (home visit) scheduled. Hopefully, that will do. It’s just frustrating to love this car, but in order to have something serviced you have to have several appointments.

My guess is that some of the wire connectors going to the MCU aren't making proper connections. My brother had his eMMC replaced and noticed the GPS and radio functions weren't working on his drive home. It never got better so after a week he called up the Tesla SC that worked on the car. They seemed to know exactly what the likely problem was and lo and behold the connections at the back of the MCU weren't properly seated. I've had similar problems with my 2001 VW Golf TDI ECM where all the connector pins on the harness are rather finicky. On an ECM swap, I might lose connection with the throttle position sensor, RPM sender, etc. It takes a few tries to make sure all the wires are getting proper contact even though the wire harness clicks in.

My guess is that some of the wire connectors going to the MCU aren't making proper connections.
I would agree that a poorly seated connector is a likely cause for some of the issues that OP described.

The real issue however is the fact that the service center released the car after the upfit without sufficiently verifying that everything is functioning correctly. That's the real failure issue that needs to be addressed. I also agree that Tesla does not appear to have the necessary focus on consistent quality of customer service across all service center locations. That's where I understand the frustration that some owners express.

Reactions: maximizese
I would agree that a poorly seated connector is a likely cause for some of the issues that OP described.

The real issue however is the fact that the service center released the car after the upfit without sufficiently verifying that everything is functioning correctly. That's the real failure issue that needs to be addressed. I also agree that Tesla does not appear to have the necessary focus on consistent quality of customer service across all service center locations. That's where I understand the frustration that some owners express.
Thank you all for your suggestions and support. The last post is spot on. If I let a patient out the door without their joint replacement working properly there is a great chance that I will be held accountable, not only morally but possibly a legal reminder to do my job and check my work before I let someone go home.

Yes, I realize this is automotive repair and the consequences are totally different and with the stakes much lower it should be a no “brained” to at least double check and test your work.

Lastly, if you do have a problem with your work shouldn’t you want to fix it in an expeditious manner?!!

Thank you all for your suggestions and support. The last post is spot on. If I let a patient out the door without their joint replacement working properly there is a great chance that I will be held accountable, not only morally but possibly a legal reminder to do my job and check my work before I let someone go home.

Yes, I realize this is automotive repair and the consequences are totally different and with the stakes much lower it should be a no “brained” to at least double check and test your work.

Lastly, if you do have a problem with your work shouldn’t you want to fix it in an expeditious manner?!!
Lol I double checked that post, ….. “brainer”….

Here we go again!!!!! Tesla didn’t install my infotainment upgrade properly. I’m having to bring it in again! This is becoming a freaking joke! This makes the 3rd time I have to bring my car BACK in to have work done properly. Tesla now has a valuation of over a trillion dollars, but they have the service level of a Kia. Actually, Kia has a better service program! Tesla service sucks!

Here we go again!!!!! Tesla didn’t install my infotainment upgrade properly. I’m having to bring it in again! This is becoming a freaking joke! This makes the 3rd time I have to bring my car BACK in to have work done properly. Tesla now has a valuation of over a trillion dollars, but they have the service level of a Kia. Actually, Kia has a better service program! Tesla service sucks!
Out of curiosity, why did Tesla need to install an infotainment update? Aren't these delivered over-the-air, at home?

Maybe I got my car's work done right before the service went south.... Curious what issues you encountered as well. I have noticed the my MCU2 upgrade was done "correctly" in that it all works but the fit and finish of the interior trim pieces shows it wasn't exactly all put back together correctly. Not bad enough to make me want to send the car back - but it may bother me enough to learn how to take the dash apart and put it back together correctly.

And hey - I'm not defending this SC here. I'm part of a few local FB groups and the complaints are showing up there as well.

Out of curiosity, why did Tesla need to install an infotainment update? Aren't these delivered over-the-air, at home?
OP is likely referring to have the MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade installed. This is a hardware upgrade, including replacement of both the main screen as well as the instrument panel screen. It's kind of hard to delivery a hardware upgrade over-the-air.