Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pay It Forward

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is at an incredibly important juncture in its development. They have designed, engineered and begun to deliver an almost universally praised, revolutionary, landmark vehicle-- the first no-compromise EV. They have overcome manufacturing, supplier, and quality ramp-up issues, and bravely faced up the the self-serving and anti-competitive NADA.

What is the biggest thing they need to be concerned about now? Cash. Cold, hard cash. Cash to buy parts, pay their heroically hard-working people, complete the Model X, and research and develop the Gen III. Cash to repay the DOE loan, EARLY, and silent the carping critics.

All of us in this community have a huge stake in this enterprise, not just because we want to own great cars, but because we want to move our world forward to sustainable personal transportation. We are pioneers, early adopters, even zealots. Many of us are also shareholders in TSLA. But what more could we do to dramatically enhance Tesla Motor's security and momentum?

We can pay it forward.

If ten thousand of us Model S and Model X reservation holders simply sent Tesla an average of $10,000 of our due balance on our cars NOW, we would improve Tesla's cash position by ONE HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS immediately!

I have $25,000 of our Model S due balance sitting in a bank account that I will send to Tesla without any pre-condition or quid pro quo, as soon as someone from Tesla contacts me to accept my offer and tells me how and where to send it.

I hasten to clarify that this is my own idea, not suggested, prompted, or encouraged by anyone else, especially not at Tesla. This is an attempt at grass-roots vote of confidence for a team of humans I believe are doing something critical for humanity.

Who is with me?

Vincent Argiro
Salt Spring Island, BC

From what I understand they're actually doing fine with their cash flow. They recently received a grant from the State of California for the X, and their last round of financing went well. I suppose they'd take your money, but I don't know how necessary it is.

Vger - interesting idea, but I would lean towards KBF's comments. The 3rd Q earnings call should happen in about a week, and the cash position of Tesla will certainly be addressed. If it becomes apparent in the next 2 months (the timeframe that I expect to take delivery and make full payment) that Tesla is in desperate need of cash, then I will join you and fork over a large chunk of the money due ahead of schedule. However, I will wait to see if there are any signs that point to danger (i.e., earnings call) first.

From what I understand they're actually doing fine with their cash flow. They recently received a grant from the State of California for the X, and their last round of financing went well. I suppose they'd take your money, but I don't know how necessary it is.
I expect taking the interest free loan may be a bit of trouble at this point; hafta track the person separately, etc.

I applaud your desire to pay it forward.
I would offer an alternative though. Buy $25,000 worth of TSLA stock.
A loan would show as a liability on the books, They would also need to track it separately. In addition you would not only be helping the company, you would be interesting in its future.

Another suggestion: place a $40k signature reservation on a Model X. Tesla will allow you to move $35k into your Model S purchase, downgrading the Model X signature reservation to a general production one, or even abandon the reservation all together.

WA residents are exempt because Tesla has to put reservation fees in an escrow account there.

I pay it forward by:
* Sending them copious amounts of feedback on the car
* Telling everyone I know about the car
* Giving rides
* Talking to strangers about the car
* Visiting the store every weekend for hours at a time, talking as an owner of the car to people in the stores
* Posting videos :smile:
* Driving the car in public places, making people wonder what it is
* Participating here
* etc ...

I think this is probably the best way to pay it forward. Although some of us can't visit the stores... :crying:

I pay it forward by:
* Sending them copious amounts of feedback on the car
* Telling everyone I know about the car
* Giving rides
* Talking to strangers about the car
* Visiting the store every weekend for hours at a time, talking as an owner of the car to people in the stores
* Posting videos :smile:
* Driving the car in public places, making people wonder what it is
* Participating here
* etc ...

- - - Updated - - -

Although most of these require us to have an S already!!

Buy $25,000 worth of TSLA stock.
... you would not only be helping the company, you would be interesting in its future.
For a mere $25k, I could be an interesting part of Tesla's future. Hm, tempting. I wonder if this means I could get a Founder's Model X.
While I resize you were joking, buying TSLA doesn't help Tesla's balance sheet, while the OP's idea would.
I'll have to size this one up a bit more to come up with a clever retort.

Tesla got $200 million in cushion money from the last public stock offering. If that doesn't get them there then something is seriously wrong and I wouldn't want them holding any more of my cash anyway.