Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pay per use or FUSC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just bought a 2015 P85D at auction. I'm trying to figure out if I take it to a super charger and just plug it in and charge for free, it if I'll need a credit card on the account... Account has not yet been transferred.

I called Tesla Service and the tech didn't know how to tell looking at the account. The account says "pay per use" and that's all he could give me. He didn't see FUSC but I'm not confident he knew what he was looking for.

I might have to tow my car to the nearest super charger, hence why I'm trying to get an idea of what to expect since I can't even be present when it would be charged.

The car is actually stranded at my shippers warehouse. He picked it up with a low battery and now it's dangerously low. With the help of Tony T we got him a UMC to start charging the car, but he's having to use an extension cord and it's horrendously slow.

Clean title and car, seller was not Tesla (although it was another dealer, so I don't yet know the cars history). I'm just worried it will need a credit card on the account or that it might of had FUSC removed by Tesla...

First welcome to the Tesla family, second having just visited HI, i was happy to see as many Tesla's on the Islands. The answer to your question is plug it in and see what happens... simple i know but ... if the service center cant help you over the phone that will be the quickest way. 2015 "should" have free SC use but... there are reasons for that to not be true: salvage, sold via Tesla and they removed it at that time (what I can think of). If you find the car charging real slow try plugging into a 110 without an extension cord or get an high grade extension cord, that will made a difference.

Even if your car has pay-per-use Supercharging and no linked credit card, it will still Supercharge - it will just add a bill to the account associated with your VIN. This amount will be charged to a card when linked, or charged at the service centre next time you visit.

I believe you can rack up to a $100 bill before they cut you off.

Reactions: murse
Just to set expectations, charging from a 110v outlet will yield 3 miles of range per hour or in other words "horrendously slow". If you bought the car at a salvage auction, it is possible that Tesla may disable supercharging completely. The only way to know is to try it but be sure you have enough range to get home just in case you are unable to charge.

Haha, the vehicle is in Long Beach awaiting shipment to Oahu.

Good to know that super charging should work as long as there's not more than a $100 bill on the account. It also appears "pay per use" is not necessarily an indication it doesn't have FUSC.

The vehicles battery drained to 2 miles on shipping when it arrived at his warehouse. Terrible, I know. We have it on a 110v outlet with a random extension cord he had lying around. In about 15 hours of charging the car had only charged to about 9 miles.

I Amazon shipped him a 50ft 10/3 gauge extension. He needed the length because his warehouse greatly limits his outlet access. He'll have that on his door step this AM, hopefully we get 3 mi/hr... I can afford to charge this thing in his warehouse as long as he'll allow. If he can't make the time to keep charging it, that's when a supercharger comes into play.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep updating. He arrives at the warehouse in about 30 minutes, the car will have been charging now for about 36 hours. Once charged, it will be dropped off at Matson for shipping.

Would someone be able to drive the car? Did the car some with the standard tesla to j1772 converter? If it has a few miles (say 30+) then I would also look at PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You to find a public J1772 slow charger nearby. With such a charger you should be able to get to full within 12+ hours. So someone could drive to such a location and drop it there for 12+ hours. It would probably require the driver to download an app and register with the third party plug vendor (i.e ChargePoint or similar).

[EDIT]: You should, of course, first look for a nearby destination charger.

• Informative
Reactions: rwjr44