Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pay per use supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not yet an owner ... but I have put down a deposit on the M3.

Questions:
Are Tesla supercharging stations connectors unique to Tesla to the exclusion of all other EV's? I assume - yes

If not currently available ... is it likely that in time connector adaptors will be available to enable non-Tesla vehicle to utilize the supercharging stations? (steal electricity)

Does the supercharging station have the ability to electronically communicate with the vehicle, and make a determination that the vehicle is legitimate?

I am not yet an owner ... but I have put down a deposit on the M3.

Questions:
Are Tesla supercharging stations connectors unique to Tesla to the exclusion of all other EV's? I assume - yes

If not currently available ... is it likely that in time connector adaptors will be available to enable non-Tesla vehicle to utilize the supercharging stations? (steal electricity)

Does the supercharging station have the ability to electronically communicate with the vehicle, and make a determination that the vehicle is legitimate?

Yes to #1.

Cannot say for sure about #2. The problem with Supercharging is that the charge rate is so high. Right now I believe that there are no competitors out there whose BEVs can accept the SC rates.

Yes to #3. When you Supercharge, there is a slight delay while the charging station and the car do their voodoo. Early on with the Model S, 40 and some 60 battery cars did not have Supercharging enabled. So, those cars would not be able to Supercharge unless the owner of the 60 paid $2,000 to enable Supercharging. But that plan was abolished late in 2014, I believe.

Reactions: Stirfelt