TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Pay with credit cards?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by ratsbew, Apr 15, 2018.

1. ratsbew

ratsbew Active Member

Is it possible to pay for my Model 3 by credit card in the store? I'd love to be able to get my 1.5% cash back on a $55,000 purchase ($825!).

• Funny x 1
  2. barjohn

barjohn Member

Many dealers won't let you charge more than $5K. They don't want to pay the credit card fees.

• Like x 1
  3. Marsnaut

Marsnaut Member

The initial reservation deposit ($1,000) and the payment at time of configuration ($2,500) can be paid by credit card. Everything else must be cashier's check/check/ACH, etc.

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 2
  4. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

Nope. There is a service that lets you pay things like this by credit card, but I cannot recall the name. The fees were high, so it wouldn’t be worth it for 1.5%.

Someone did say you can pay for EAP/FSD the day you pickup without getting the extra 1k charge.

• Like x 1
  5. ryanakata

ryanakata Member

Plastiq or Plastc or something. It's terrible .

6. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

Yup. That sounds familiar. Esp the terrible part :)

7. khamkhao

khamkhao New Member

Is that true about the EAP? I didn't configure mine with that option but now having second thoughts about it.

8. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

I read it here... so no telling of it is truthful. Or a global policy.

9. bennettbb

bennettbb Member

I posted about this before, but Business Insider actually profiled someone who used a Visa credit card to buy a Tesla using Plastiq.

He did something smarter than my wife and I did, using a Chase Ink Biz Preferred card which earns 3x points on plastiq. More than $5,000 in free airfare/hotels earned in one purchase

• Like x 1
  10. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

That article looks more like a paid advertisement than a profile. The profit above the straight points value is pretty speculative imho.

11. scrapps

scrapps Member

I explicitly asked my ISA about this at the time and she said I couldn’t do that.

12. Marsnaut

Marsnaut Member

I assume most people are trying to get credit card rewards but there is an interesting "arbitrage" opportunity.

If you have the Bank of America Premium Rewards card and are a Preferred Rewards Platinum Honors account, you can get 2.625% cashback. The Premium Rewards card does have a $99 annual fee and to be a Platinum Honors account, you need to have $100k in balances with them (either in brokerage through Merrill Edge or checking/savings).

The way it works out is that the card gives 1.5 points on "all other purchases" not defined in the categories, and as a Platinum Honors account you get a 75% rewards bonus. A point is redeemable for a penny and (1.5 * 1.75) equals 2.625 points per dollar spent.

https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-cards/point-rewards-credit-cards/: "Earn unlimited points - 2 points for every $1 spent on travel and dining purchases and 1.5 points per $1 on all other purchases"

https://www.bankofamerica.com/preferred-rewards/: "Credit Card 75% Rewards Bonus on eligible Bank of America credit cards"

I've never used Plastiq but it appears there is a 2.5% fee.

2.625% - 2.5% = .125% profit. $40,000 only returns $50 (assuming your credit card limit goes that high).

Edit: Full Disclosure is that I work at Bank of America but nothing related to consumer products. None of the links above provide me any monetary compensation.

• Informative x 1
  13. preilly44

preilly44 Member

The Alliant Credit Union Card gives you 3% cashback on all purchases for the first year and I think 2.5% after that.

14. AJMac

AJMac Member

Here is an example of how you can do it.

(if the forums let me post.) If not, google million miles secret tesla.

15. Bays

Bays Member

Sounds pretty phony.

"Note: While Plastiq purchases have earned 3X points in the past, there’s no guarantee this will happen in the future."

"With the 180,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards points I earned from the Tesla purchase, I think I’ll get at least $5,000 worth of travel."

Couple of big leaps there.

• Like x 1
  16. Need

Need Active Member

You forgot the 50,000 points sign up bonus if you spent $3000 in 90 days. So the return is really $550. I didn't pay for my MX with credit card, but I paid the $4800 4 years extended service agreement with the BoA Premium Reward. Just got my $626 statement credit making the 4 years extended service agreement $4174.

17. AJMac

AJMac Member

I agree. It’s a bit too risky for my blood… but I believe that the guy is being truthful in the post. But ymmv for sure.

18. kengchang

kengchang Active Member

You don't get 3% on that card anymore through Plastiq, 1% now.

19. bennettbb

bennettbb Member

I use my Chase Ink Biz Preffered card for about 30% of my plastiq payments and I'm still getting 3x. I checked recently because I'm looking to buy another Model 3 with my card, which is how I came across this article odly enough

20. kengchang

kengchang Active Member

Interesting, I was looking into that as well and saw someone mentioned it got shutted down already.