Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Payback California rebate before 30 months of ownership?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've owned my LR RWD model 3 for 18 months and I want to buy an LR AWD model 3. My friend has offered to buy my car, but now I'm afraid I'll have to pay back the $2,500 rebate back to the state because I have owned it less than the required 30 months. Does California pro rate you, or do they even check? Anybody have thoughts or experience on the matter?

I've owned my LR RWD model 3 for 18 months and I want to buy an LR AWD model 3. My friend has offered to buy my car, but now I'm afraid I'll have to pay back the $2,500 rebate back to the state because I have owned it less than the required 30 months. Does California pro rate you, or do they even check? Anybody have thoughts or experience on the matter?

I sold my Volt prior to the time limit and CA never clawed back the rebate. However, I think it is very YMMV. I sold my Volt to CarMax, so it may have ended up out of state for all I know and CA never caught the registration info had changed.

I believe it is prorated, but I would plan on paying it back just in case. CA can be very aggressive about getting their money.

My first volt was re-purchased by GM. When I got my replacement I reached out twice to get the rebate transferred to the new vehicle or figure out what I needed to do. I got no response. To be safe I did not apply for a rebate on the new vehicle in case the state ever decided to come after me for it.

This is according to CARB:

"Rebated vehicles must be registered in California and stay in the possession of the applicant for 30 consecutive months from the original purchase or lease date. Resale of a vehicle or return to a dealer is allowed within this 30 month period if necessitated by unforeseen or unavoidable circumstances. Military duty exemptions may be approved by CARB on a case-by-case basis. If you are no longer in possession of your rebated vehicle, please give us a call at 866-984-2532 to discuss your available options.

CARB verifies vehicle ownership through periodic checks of Vehicle Identification Numbers (VINs) in the California DMV database. If a vehicle purchaser or lessee sells or returns the rebated vehicle to the dealer and does not receive prior approval, CARB or its designee reserves the right to recoup CVRP funds from the original vehicle purchaser identified on the rebate form and may pursue other remedies available under the law for unauthorized early termination of vehicle ownership."

I spoke with CARB before turning in a Honda Fit EV before the lease fully matured and they told me any payback of the rebate is prorated.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
This is according to CARB:

I spoke with CARB before turning in a Honda Fit EV before the lease fully matured and they told me any payback of the rebate is prorated.

Thank you, that's very helpful to know. If i'm prorated, I'm OK with that. I'm not that far off.

Attachments

• upload_2019-10-9_8-7-41.png
    upload_2019-10-9_8-7-41.png
    70.3 KB · Views: 161
I sold my Volt in February 2020 and I notified them that I sold it, fully expecting that I would have to pay a prorated amount since the Volt was purchased new in July 2018. It was right when everyone was in a scramble to figure out their working situation at the start of the pandemic so no one ever got back to me after promising that they’d get back to me with the amount I’d have to pay. At this point I'm obviously happy I fell through the cracks but if they decide to dig it up I’ll pay it. Obviously if they want to try to hit me up for interest or penalties I will fight it as I have the receipts for phone calls and emails telling them I sold the car: the burden for delay is squarely on them.

Still nothing from them as of today but I also didn’t apply for a rebate for the replacement car (a Model 3) since I was already at the limit for rebates so that may have helped to keep flying under the radar.

I sold my Volt in February 2020 and I notified them that I sold it, fully expecting that I would have to pay a prorated amount since the Volt was purchased new in July 2018. It was right when everyone was in a scramble to figure out their working situation at the start of the pandemic so no one ever got back to me after promising that they’d get back to me with the amount I’d have to pay. At this point I'm obviously happy I fell through the cracks but if they decide to dig it up I’ll pay it. Obviously if they want to try to hit me up for interest or penalties I will fight it as I have the receipts for phone calls and emails telling them I sold the car: the burden for delay is squarely on them.

Still nothing from them as of today but I also didn’t apply for a rebate for the replacement car (a Model 3) since I was already at the limit for rebates so that may have helped to keep flying under the radar.

Thank you for that update!