Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paying Final Balance Early

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So far i’ve had 4 invoices but on the 4th one i’ve had a delivery text and email confirming an appointment time for the 11th November (Birmingham). So hoping this is the last one.

Just wondering if i’m ok to pay the final balance now? Would there be any benefit to paying now like getting an earlier delivery date?

So far i’ve had 4 invoices but on the 4th one i’ve had a delivery text and email confirming an appointment time for the 11th November (Birmingham). So hoping this is the last one.

Just wondering if i’m ok to pay the final balance now? Would there be any benefit to paying now like getting an earlier delivery date?
You need to do what you feel comfortable with. I paid my final invoice as soon as I had a collection date. In my case the collection date did come forward a few days, but that was probably nothing to do with the payment.

Reactions: pow216 and KennethS
I paid mine quickly as I was advised by Tesla that it would increase the possibility of my delivery date being moved from Oct to Sept. this did happen but might have happened regardless...I didn’t pay thought to the possibility of Tesla going bust...

We were collecting on the Saturday. The week before we toot the opportunity to send some test money (£1 and £2 from 2 different bank accounts) to our Tesla account. Initially we had no invoice so used the reservation code, but after getting a final invoice, we repeated using the invoice number - unless you have more than one purchase on same reservation, I don't think it makes any difference whether you use your reservation or invoice number.

We then looked in deposit paid field in source code to make sure test payments were received. Payments sent evening before seemed to show up around mid morning the following day.

Once happy, we then sent over the remainder over 3 days as we had time on our hands - I had a faster payment transaction limit on my account so kept things simple and worked within those limits.

Once correct amount had been received, we has an acknowledgement from Tesla. If you get a call where anyone mentions the outstanding amount, do double check that figure. We had triple checked the invoice amount (made slightly less obvious as it did not mention our trade in amount or the test payments) so had our own figure which did not tally by what Tesla rep told us. Our figure was right of course!

Does your bank impose any restriction on how much you can pay each day? I believe there have been a number of instances where a limit means that it actually takes several days to make the split-payments.

I'm no expert but I can share something I discovered this week. I had our Solar PV, Powerwall2 and Tesla Wall Charger installed this week and went to pay the invoice. Barclays online would only let me pay a new payee £5,000.00 max. So I did just that. Today I went to pay another £5K and as an experiment, I tried paying the remaining amount which was over 5K by a few grand and it allowed me.

If I had to summarise from that, new payees seem to have a limit but repeat payments don't. I'm thinking that if you paid your deposit through the same bank with the same account and payee, it will probs let you settle in full? That seems to be the pattern with Barclays anyway.

Hope that helps.

The "final invoice" said to pay 7 days before collection so I stuck to that.

I sent £1 and checked the web page source code periodically (search for "ExistingDeposit") until my deposit had increased by that £1. Then I checked my daily payment limit and sent a payment each day so that the invoice was fully paid off 7 days before delivery date.

Not expecting the collection date to be brought forward at all - if it does, that's a bonus :)

Payments seem to update the ExistingDeposit during typical office hours so if you send a payment during the weekend or during the evening it won't show up until a weekday morning.

Reactions: Adambirch