Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paying for investigation into warranty issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

So I picked up my car about 6 weeks ago now and on the day of collection I booked a service appointment to have some paint issues rectified. A couple of weeks ago I text the service number and said there was also a rattle coming from the rear passenger side of the car and could they have a look into it whilst it's in, to which they said yes no problem.

A few days ago it finally went in and they asked me if I had anymore specific info about the rattle because if they couldn't find the issue/cause then they would be charging me for the time spent investigating - this is something I've never experienced before and I had a very rattle-y new Mercedes a few years ago which went in about 5 times to try and get sorted and never paid a penny. I haven't been driving too often and it seems to be fairly intermittent, as rattles often are and usually dependent on road surface, speed, temperature, etc. and with it being on the passenger side, I can't really figure out where it's coming from. The idea was since I was making a 100 mile round trip to and from the SC, they've probably seen/heard it before and have an idea on how to fix it. Anyway, I said to forget it - I know from experience that technicians can rarely hear rattles.

Is this normal for Tesla? I've had a number of new cars and never been charged for anything which comes under warranty, whether there was an issue or not. And I must admit, the whole attitude of the SC staff make me a bit worried about having any sort of issue in the future, especially when the paintwork issues came back exactly the same as before the car went in...

Hi guys,

So I picked up my car about 6 weeks ago now and on the day of collection I booked a service appointment to have some paint issues rectified. A couple of weeks ago I text the service number and said there was also a rattle coming from the rear passenger side of the car and could they have a look into it whilst it's in, to which they said yes no problem.

A few days ago it finally went in and they asked me if I had anymore specific info about the rattle because if they couldn't find the issue/cause then they would be charging me for the time spent investigating - this is something I've never experienced before and I had a very rattle-y new Mercedes a few years ago which went in about 5 times to try and get sorted and never paid a penny. I haven't been driving too often and it seems to be fairly intermittent, as rattles often are and usually dependent on road surface, speed, temperature, etc. and with it being on the passenger side, I can't really figure out where it's coming from. The idea was since I was making a 100 mile round trip to and from the SC, they've probably seen/heard it before and have an idea on how to fix it. Anyway, I said to forget it - I know from experience that technicians can rarely hear rattles.

Is this normal for Tesla? I've had a number of new cars and never been charged for anything which comes under warranty, whether there was an issue or not. And I must admit, the whole attitude of the SC staff make me a bit worried about having any sort of issue in the future, especially when the paintwork issues came back exactly the same as before the car went in...
It’s normal for Tesla today.

Years ago, before their service went to crap, they would have fixed it for free.

have you checked it’s not the passenger seatbelt against the side of the passenger seat? Nearly caught me out recently. Only happens if the seat is set in a position to cause it to knock against the plastic on the side.

I almost booked in a service for exactly this but figured it had to be something as the rattle was only there when the front seat was empty.

I had a "rattle" coming from passenger side when I first got the car - a bit of investigation discovered it was the seatbelt coming into contact with the seat side when the car was empty - happens occasionally when the clip of the seatbelt randomly ends up in a position where it comes into contact with the seat - solved by just moving the clip. It may or may not be the cause of your issue.

Hi guys,

Over the last few years I’ve been warned about a potential “diagnosis charge” if the work ends up outside the scope of warranty by many dealers. Makes include Skoda, Kia, Nissan and Hyundai. It seems to be common practice these days.

VW charge for diagnosis too. My experience they waived it when they found the fault. It’s not a concern with something you know they will find but it is a bit annoying for an intermittent fault. Thanks be to smart phones to record stuff.

My marbles went years ago and I can’t find the ashtray either.......
These days rather than a marble it's boiled sweets, skittles and loose change and rather than an ashtray it's the huge gaping vent holes under the seat. If anything goes into them you can't get it out without dropping the battery.... unless you have a very steep driveway and a long stick. I fitted vent covers to mine!

These days rather than a marble it's boiled sweets, skittles and loose change and rather than an ashtray it's the huge gaping vent holes under the seat. If anything goes into them you can't get it out without dropping the battery.... unless you have a very steep driveway and a long stick. I fitted vent covers to mine!
Same, but I cracked my sunvisor doing it so those vent covers ended up being pretty damn expensive for two bits of plastic.

For rattles it almost certainly the following:

1. Seatbelts (all of them)
2. Center console - fixed with felt stickers - but if you leave the lid open/up it will rattle.
3. Parcel shelf - technically inside the boot, the trim might be loose and you can stick it on better yourself
4. Badly locked seats if you put your seats down.
5. Cold weather and rubber seals - not a lot you can do about that apart from maybe lubrication. This usually ges away after driving for a bit. This is always a problem on any car with frameless doors.
6. Any plastic (water bottles etc.) in doors rubbing against the door trim
7. Glasses - cheap hinges that make them clatter against eachother.

• Informative
Reactions: Zigway
I have a rattle in the rear passenger door, and I can make it happen when stationery just by opening the door and moving it in and out quickly. I have read up about it and it seems there is an issue with the door lock mechanism which they will replace.

Try that and see if it's makes the noise.