Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paying for your car........

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there,

New guy here... I have an appointment to pick up my car on Friday. I am putting a nice chunk down. In my account it wants me to link up to my bank to make the payment. For some reason it is having trouble linking up to the bank. Am I able to bring a cashiers check when I pick it up?

Thanks for your help

Stew

Hi there,

New guy here... I have an appointment to pick up my car on Friday. I am putting a nice chunk down. In my account it wants me to link up to my bank to make the payment. For some reason it is having trouble linking up to the bank. Am I able to bring a cashiers check when I pick it up?

Thanks for your help

Stew
Everything is center specific, but yes you can bring a check to complete final purchase payment..

I ignored the Tesla requests for payment before delivery and showed up with 2 cashiers checks, one for my down payment and one for the financing. I wanted to inspect the car before I gave them my money.

Nothing was said and delivery went smoothly.

I tried the Plaid thing, which gave me an error. Tried it twice actually. Of course, I get $.01 deposits the next day. Typical. Anyhow, I disliked the fact that I provided by user/pass to them, so I changed it. I'd MUCH prefer to just bring a personal check, but Tesla's site says :

Final payment is accepted via:
  • Electronic check (direct debit) in your Tesla Account
  • Wire transfer
  • Certified check at time of pick-up, with your Reservation Number (RN) and name in the memo line
Note: Credit Cards are only accepted for the initial order fee.

I don't really want to go to the bank for a certified check, so I'm waiting for actual contact from Tesla to see if I can just bring a personal check. The amount is significant (over $30K).

Reactions: OCJeff
Does Tesla use this 3rd party company (Plaid?) for the down payment only? What about the monthly payment (loan) going forward? I would hate to give out my user name and password to any 3rd party companies.
You'd set up an account with whoever is actually servicing your loan. So if you have a Chase loan and already have an account with them, it'll just show up under your login.

Has anyone tried paying with Bank of America online bill pay? Seems easier than having to line up a cashiers check and safer than handing over a personal check with accounting and routing numbers printed on it.
As long as the timing works out.
They can’t confirm immediate receipt of funds with online bill pay. Use their ACH system. It’s the same as online bill pay except it pulls the money from your bank account using their website so they receive immediate confirmation.

Plaid is safe. Their fintech allows them to share your information without seeing it.

I just paid for delivery but Tesla didn't use Plaid, asked for the typical account and routing numbers for ACH. *shrug*

I prefer Plaid, honestly, because I swear sometimes ACH doesn't work randomly.