Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Payload, Towing Capacity, and Hitch Weight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anybody know the Payload, Towing Capacity, and Hitch Weight for MX 75D, 90D, and 100D?
Assuming that numbers would be different for each model.

Thinking more battery equals lower numbers. Of course, more battery equals more range (especially if towing). Need real numbers to determine which travel trailer will work best for us.

Does anybody know the Payload, Towing Capacity, and Hitch Weight for MX 75D, 90D, and 100D?
Assuming that numbers would be different for each model.

Thinking more battery equals lower numbers. Of course, more battery equals more range (especially if towing). Need real numbers to determine which travel trailer will work best for us.
The battery size does not change the towing capability of the vehicle. See page 102 of the Model X manual at https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_x_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

D280829A-0562-4703-8315-D6AC1E389BE5.png

The battery size does not change the towing capability of the vehicle. See page 102 of the Model X manual at Model X Owner's Manual | Tesla
Reviewing the Tesla X manual in May 2023 suggests the following limitation for the factory installed hitch:

Screen Shot 2023-05-28 at 3.36.20 PM.png

...and...

Screen Shot 2023-05-28 at 3.37.24 PM.png

As I am currently looking for a cargo hitch carrier (considering the StowAway2) I'm trying to understand the max weight the hitch can support and think (?) the manual is either providing conflicting information or I'm just ignorant in my understanding.

The first pic notes a weight limit of 120lbs but a little further down the manual appears to conflict with its earlier limitation by suggesting a weight limit of 500lbs or 350lbs for 20" and 22" respectively.

My guess is the vertical weight limit of all accessories attached to the hitch cannot exceed 500lbs - as I have the 20" wheels - but figured it would be prudent to double check here and make sure I'm not missing something.

Archived link to source from Tesla X Manual, May 2023

Reviewing the Tesla X manual in May 2023 suggests the following limitation for the factory installed hitch:
...and...
As I am currently looking for a cargo hitch carrier (considering the StowAway2) I'm trying to understand the max weight the hitch can support and think (?) the manual is either providing conflicting information or I'm just ignorant in my understanding.

The first pic notes a weight limit of 120lbs but a little further down the manual appears to conflict with its earlier limitation by suggesting a weight limit of 500lbs or 350lbs for 20" and 22" respectively.

My guess is the vertical weight limit of all accessories attached to the hitch cannot exceed 500lbs - as I have the 20" wheels - but figured it would be prudent to double check here and make sure I'm not missing something.

Archived link to source from Tesla X Manual, May 2023
See this post: StowAway Max rear luggage carrier - my experience

Reactions: houstonian

Max tongue weight (this is of the trailer) is 500#. If using accessories like a cargo deck/box or bike rack it’s limited to 120#.
@EbS-P has nailed it; the vertical force imposed by an accessory rack (bikes, cargo carrier) is rated differently compared to the force imposed on the hitch by a trailer tongue. It’s the difference between a load that is positioned to the rear of the hitch on a lever arm with the hitch ball as the fulcrum and a supported load (a trailer with wheels) where the tongue force is downwards onto the hitch ball.

So for your cargo carrier, the weight of the carrier (empty) plus the weight of whatever you load it up with should not exceed 120lbs.