Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Payment and Pickup question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did a search but couldn’t find a specific answer to my question. I’m picking up my car next week and the app wants me to “make my final payment to avoid delays” (I’m leasing) I thought I could just put the bank info in plaid now and press “Pay” when the time came at pickup when I’m satisfied with the car. When I entered all my bank info it seemed to try to process the payment instantly. I didn’t have enough money in that specific account at the time so it said insufficient funds and kicked me back to the start. My concern is that if I set it up that it automatically takes the payment without me having to press “pay”. I don’t want to lose any leverage at pick up. Does anyone have experience with this or any advice? Thanks in advance

Plaid is instant I think. I personally didnt do electronic payment for my teslas (either mine in 2018 or my wifes model Y we picked up in mid march of this year). I got a cashiers check for my down payment from my bank and brought that with me.

If you dont want to pay now (which is understandable), get a cashiers check and take it with you, and ignore "final payment to avoid delays" they are talking about.

FWIW, I paid with a bank check (from my credit union) which was the part of the car I am financing, and a cashiers check for my down payment. My cashiers check (down payment) was more than the amount of the bank check, or said another way, my down payment was larger than the amount I am financing.

I only mention that to show that the part of the car I paid with in personal funds was larger than the bank finance part.

Anyway, with the above, the total transaction time with tesla was about 20-25 minutes. If I had wanted to, I could have been in and out of there in like 12-15 minutes. Compared with a traditional dealer, there is no amount of "delays" that will come close to that process of negotiating the car, the finance room sweatbox where they try to convince you that you need a service plan on the brand new car you got, and window etching, and "That truecoat" (movie reference).

TL ; DR -- Just take a cashiers check for your down payment and ignore plaid.

I did a search but couldn’t find a specific answer to my question. I’m picking up my car next week and the app wants me to “make my final payment to avoid delays” (I’m leasing) I thought I could just put the bank info in plaid now and press “Pay” when the time came at pickup when I’m satisfied with the car. When I entered all my bank info it seemed to try to process the payment instantly. I didn’t have enough money in that specific account at the time so it said insufficient funds and kicked me back to the start. My concern is that if I set it up that it automatically takes the payment without me having to press “pay”. I don’t want to lose any leverage at pick up. Does anyone have experience with this or any advice? Thanks in advance
I picked my car up last Thursday and actually tried to do exactly what you did — it doesn‘t process. I waited until about 24 hrs before I was supposed to pick up. You’ll get an automated confirmation call. I was offered the ability to pick it up that day so it turned I paid via Plaid the day of pickup.

Just ask your SA. The app makes it seem you have to do it ASAP.

I picked my car up last Thursday and actually tried to do exactly what you did — it doesn‘t process. I waited until about 24 hrs before I was supposed to pick up. You’ll get an automated confirmation call. I was offered the ability to pick it up that day so it turned I paid via Plaid the day of pickup.

Just ask your SA. The app makes it seem you have to do it ASAP.
Thank you. I‘m planning on paying once I see the vehicle. Of course this was my SAs response to my question

“If you are planning to pay through the app and not with certified check, I would recommend doing it prior to when you arrive for delivery to avoid any possible delays.”

My hope is I can process it right there at pickup once I know there aren’t any major flaws

Reactions: PaulyB18
Thank you. I‘m planning on paying once I see the vehicle. Of course this was my SAs response to my question

“If you are planning to pay through the app and not with certified check, I would recommend doing it prior to when you arrive for delivery to avoid any possible delays.”

My hope is I can process it right there at pickup once I know there aren’t any major flaws

Sometimes electronic payments are not instant, even if you push the button to do it in the app. Thats why they are telling you to bring a certified check (cashiers check) for your funds. You may think the payment goes "right away" but it may not show up in teslas bank that way.

Just take a certified check to remove all doubt on that.

I probably wouldn’t do that. Based on my experience you pay first then see the vehicle. You don’t have to do the final acceptance until after you see the vehicle. It was literally the last step before I drove away. But if your plan is to wait as long as possible I’d just bring the cashier’s check.

Reactions: GolfProGiff
I probably wouldn’t do that. Based on my experience you pay first then see the vehicle. You don’t have to do the final acceptance until after you see the vehicle. It was literally the last step before I drove away. But if your plan is to wait as long as possible I’d just bring the cashier’s check.
That makes me feel better. Thank you. I’m assuming they don’t get to keep my money on the slight change I refuse the car

That makes me feel better. Thank you. I’m assuming they don’t get to keep my money on the slight change I refuse the car
My understanding is that they do a refund no matter what but if you do the ACH transfer it can take a few weeks. That’s why many prefer the cashier’s check.

The way the delivery day works is you get there and they verify any payments, you have to physically sign the MVPA and possibly something else you’ve esigned, I assume they’d deal with your trade — while all that was happening they put on my plate.

Then I went outside and walked around the car. I noticed an issue that they took care of — then after that was done I went to the car and they needed me to hit the final button to accept delivery. My whole process took less than 30 mins. Would’ve been 15 mins if there were no issues.

Really about the only reason you should reject the car would be a massive paint issue but they’ve probably looked over the car a few times to make sure that didn’t happen. If you did reject the car that’d be the time you’d ask for your cashier’s check and probably loan check from your bank.

My understanding is that they do a refund no matter what but if you do the ACH transfer it can take a few weeks. That’s why many prefer the cashier’s check.

The way the delivery day works is you get there and they verify any payments, you have to physically sign the MVPA and possibly something else you’ve esigned, I assume they’d deal with your trade — while all that was happening they put on my plate.

Then I went outside and walked around the car. I noticed an issue that they took care of — then after that was done I went to the car and they needed me to hit the final button to accept delivery. My whole process took less than 30 mins. Would’ve been 15 mins if there were no issues.

Really about the only reason you should reject the car would be a massive paint issue but they’ve probably looked over the car a few times to make sure that didn’t happen. If you did reject the car that’d be the time you’d ask for your cashier’s check and probably loan check from your bank.
To make sure I understand correctly, you give them the checks first, then sign documents, then look at the car. Then if you reject the car, you ask for the checks back, and they are obligated to hand them back to you right there and then?

To make sure I understand correctly, you give them the checks first, then sign documents, then look at the car. Then if you reject the car, you ask for the checks back, and they are obligated to hand them back to you right there and then?
You give them the checks first or at least I did. It’s not like they immediately cash them or anything. The SA just has to verify the payment. Then they verify that you accepted everything in the app EXCEPT for the final one. Then I signed physical copies of 2 of the docs I’d already agreed to in the app.

After that we went out to inspect the car. Once you finish with that you do the final acceptance in the app. That last one is the one that you wouldn’t sign/agree to if you reject your car.

On delivery day just walk inside and tell them you’re there for your delivery. It’s all fairly easy. Just take a cashiers check for your portion if you‘re concerned.

You give them the checks first or at least I did. It’s not like they immediately cash them or anything. The SA just has to verify the payment. Then they verify that you accepted everything in the app EXCEPT for the final one. Then I signed physical copies of 2 of the docs I’d already agreed to in the app.

After that we went out to inspect the car. Once you finish with that you do the final acceptance in the app. That last one is the one that you wouldn’t sign/agree to if you reject your car.

On delivery day just walk inside and tell them you’re there for your delivery. It’s all fairly easy. Just take a cashiers check for your portion if you‘re concerned.
I like to inspect the car before (the interior too) signing to actually take delivery. I know some people have had that opportunity. I see that’s the finals stage on the app

I like to inspect the car before (the interior too) signing to actually take delivery. I know some people have had that opportunity. I see that’s the finals stage on the app
They absolutely let you do that. I’m just trying to let you know that you do have to give them payment and agree to the terms (not the final agreement) before you can usually inspect. Sometimes they will unlock the car when you get there before the paperwork but not always.

Thanks for starting this thread - I had very similar questions as you.
Plaid is instant I think. I personally didnt do electronic payment for my teslas (either mine in 2018 or my wifes model Y we picked up in mid march of this year). I got a cashiers check for my down payment from my bank and brought that with me.

If you dont want to pay now (which is understandable), get a cashiers check and take it with you, and ignore "final payment to avoid delays" they are talking about.

FWIW, I paid with a bank check (from my credit union) which was the part of the car I am financing, and a cashiers check for my down payment. My cashiers check (down payment) was more than the amount of the bank check, or said another way, my down payment was larger than the amount I am financing.

I only mention that to show that the part of the car I paid with in personal funds was larger than the bank finance part.

Anyway, with the above, the total transaction time with tesla was about 20-25 minutes. If I had wanted to, I could have been in and out of there in like 12-15 minutes. Compared with a traditional dealer, there is no amount of "delays" that will come close to that process of negotiating the car, the finance room sweatbox where they try to convince you that you need a service plan on the brand new car you got, and window etching, and "That truecoat" (movie reference).

TL ; DR -- Just take a cashiers check for your down payment and ignore plaid.
Thanks for the real world experience. Definitely doing the Credit union Check for the amount I want to finance. I was going to check w/ my Bank on wiring the money vs Cashier Check (or certified check).

Also, I have been reading to not necessarily go through Plaid as it gets access to a lot of your bank account. If you will “e-pay” an amount, it seems there are ways to force the app to do a manual setup where you can enter the routing number and account number for the transfer.

Reactions: GolfProGiff
They absolutely let you do that. I’m just trying to let you know that you do have to give them payment and agree to the terms (not the final agreement) before you can usually inspect. Sometimes they will unlock the car when you get there before the paperwork but not always.
Just a note on my delivery experience. They would not let me check the inside without accepting delivery on the app and getting in using my phone. So I really didn’t get to I go over the whole car. Nothing major wrong though so it was no big deal. I was expecting to go through my checklist before hitting the accept button but that’s not how it worked at my pickup

Reactions: julit0
Just a note on my delivery experience. They would not let me check the inside without accepting delivery on the app and getting in using my phone. So I really didn’t get to I go over the whole car. Nothing major wrong though so it was no big deal. I was expecting to go through my checklist before hitting the accept button but that’s not how it worked at my pickup
I would frankly say no. Don't let them force your hand.