Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Payment at Tesla superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my Model 3 only for a month.
Would like to know how we set up payments for using superchargers on motorway, as I'm planing a 680 miles round trip soon.
I have 1000 miles free supercharging activated, but hasn't charged my car anywhere other than at home.

I understand destination chargers at hotels are free for life, but it's wholly at the discretion of the landlord.

Has anyone used other charging networks like IONITY;CHARGEMASTER;SHELL etc for their Tesla?

Thanks in advance

When you set up your Tesla account, you would probably (certainly?) have given a payment method, e.g. debit card. If you use a Tesla supercharger then that card will automatically be debited once your free miles are used up. (I've only had my M3 a month so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

As to the other networks, if they have a type 2 socket then you're good to go. (Unless like my Tesla collection there was no type 2 cable in your car! Luckily I spotted that and one of the staff went and got me one.) Means of payment for other networks all tend to be different. I use Pod Point because at my Sainsbury (despite what it says on the charger) they are free for as long as you stay in the car park, which happens to be three free hours at mine.

In my borough (Lambeth) some of the lamp posts have ubitricity charging. Most of them have a QR code which you scan with their app once you've set up an account with them. If the lamp post doesn't have a QR code, then it's ubitricity's other mechanism which is that you've bought a smart cable from them.

But in my experience every network is different. You seem to just have to decide how many you need to subscribe to in whatever fashion, given your part of the country.

I bought a Source London card on the flex tariff when I didn’t have access to my home charger. It was quite expensive cf charging at home. I have done over 3k now and apart from a couple of days on Source London, charging has been at home, destination chargers at hotels, granny charging at friends and hotels and Superchargers. Bought a ‘charge map’ card for France but didn’t use it. Good luck and enjoy.

Just need to add a card to your online account. The super chargers are then just plug and play.

We have only done 600 miles to date and so far I have only charged at super chargers, Sainsbury’s and the office.

I think we have “paid” £20 to charge to date. Our discovery would have been £150 for the same number of miles.

I charge everywhere. My advice, download zap map and use that to plan a route. It will select some chargers for you, register for those in advance if you can.

Annoyingly each provider is different, be prepared to call them up if for some reason charging doesn’t start.

The alternatives to SuperCharging are getting quite good in the UK recently (ZapMap showed the number of chargers increased by 50% in 2019).

I've used:-

DC (50-350kW, cable provided/tethered just like superchargers) : Ionity, Chargemaster (Polar), Instavolt, Engenie

Apart from Ionity, they can all be used with a contactless credit/debit card or applepay. Ionity requires an app and account. Polar gives you cheaper p/kWh rates if you use their app, and even cheaper rates if you subscribe for £8/month - they also have the largest network in the UK.

AC (3-7 kW, use the blue/grey Type2 cable in your boot): PodPoint

Easy enough, and free - plug-in then confirm the charge on their app/website (otherwise the charge is stopped after 15 mins). I've used these in carparks - Tesco are fitting out their Extra stores with a few each (over 100 stores already done, >400 chargers), and my local council have them in their public car parks and also give free parking to people using them.

To find them, I use PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You and their app ‎PlugShare - orange pins are DC, green are AC

Watch out for idle fees.

If initially having to share a supercharger, be mindful of the duration of charge, as moment other car moves, your duration can suddenly stop. Worth keeping a couple % battery limit adjustment in hand if this happens, as it allows you to delay charge completion slightly and not have to rush too much to get back to car. However, car app does normally warn approx 10 mins before completion, so is normally enough to get back in time, but its not 100% reliable.

Thanks MorrisonHiker and NorfolkMustard.

Just checked my TESLA account and they have already saved my credit card which I'd used to pay the deposit.

Cheers....

How do we know a particular supercharger bills by kwh or per minute?
In car Nav tells you the price if you select the supercharger location