Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Payment b4 delivery in Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah you have to pay before delivery. Or they will push it back.

Sure. As long as your Account page gives you the option to pay, you can go ahead and do it and I wouldn't worry about the VIN because it can change too though not very often.

Pay before delivery makes sense, but should I only pay once the VIN and the MVPA appear in my account? Or will I not get those either until I pay?

...should I only pay once the VIN and the MVPA appear in my account?...

Yes.

...will I not get those either until I pay?

Yes, you will get those before you pay.

Before you pay, you'll get:

1) "Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement Vehicle Configuration"

With all the prices listed including the destination charges but without the rest of other fees, taxes, titling, and registration just yet.

When your car is ready for delivery, you'll get another one titled:

2) "Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement Final Price Sheet"

This one is almost exactly like the one above but now with all the rest of other fees, taxes, titling, and registration.

Notice that both above documents would have your VIN.

--------------------

I was answering for those who are anxious to pay, then look for the available option to input for payment on your Account page.

If it's there, you can go ahead and enter your bank route and account.

By that time, you should have the document #1 already so you would know the approximate amount excluding future calculated taxes and other fees.

-------------------

Texas does not allow Tesla to sell its cars instate but it does not forbid you to buy Tesla outside of Texas.

You can either physically drive out of Texas and make payment outside of Texas and drive your new car back to Texas or

You can also pay Tesla Head Quarter in California which is outside of Texas as well.

That's why you just can't bring a check to pay Tesla at a Texas locality on the delivery day.

The handing over of the money must be arranged outside of Texas in order to comply with Texas laws.

• Informative
Reactions: badiban and jboy210
Yes.

Yes, you will get those before you pay.

Before you pay, you'll get:

1) "Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement Vehicle Configuration"

With all the prices listed including the destination charges but without the rest of other fees, taxes, titling, and registration just yet.

When your car is ready for delivery, you'll get another one titled:

2) "Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement Final Price Sheet"

This one is almost exactly like the one above but now with all the rest of other fees, taxes, titling, and registration.

Notice that both above documents would have your VIN.

--------------------

I was answering for those who are anxious to pay, then look for the available option to input for payment on your Account page.

If it's there, you can go ahead and enter your bank route and account.

By that time, you should have the document #1 already so you would know the approximate amount excluding future calculated taxes and other fees.

-------------------

Texas does not allow Tesla to sell its cars instate but it does not forbid you to buy Tesla outside of Texas.

You can either physically drive out of Texas and make payment outside of Texas and drive your new car back to Texas or

You can also pay Tesla Head Quarter in California which is outside of Texas as well.

That's why you just can't bring a check to pay Tesla at a Texas locality on the delivery day.

The handing over of the money must be arranged outside of Texas in order to comply with Texas laws.

Thank you, this is super helpful. I have the option to pay and a link to the MVPA, but when I click on the MVPA I get an error that it failed to load the PDF. I’m going to wait until that’s fixed. Might have to call their support team. Thanks for your help and happy thanksgiving :)

Reactions: Tam
Ah...I think maybe you’ve had a few too many Mai Tai’s tonight. There’s nothing in the OP’s simple question that warranted any of this nonsensical response.

The simple answer is that in Texas payment is required in full prior to delivery since Tesla does not have a license to sell directly in that state. If they did I would give you the same advice I give everyone else buying a Tesla...bring a check with you to the delivery center, thoroughly inspect the vehicle, and then if all looks good hand them the check. But unfortunately you don’t have that option so you will have to pay prior to taking delivery of the car.

You will still want to inspect the car thoroughly once it arrives and notate any damage or other concerns. If the damage is significant you have the right to reject the car. Hopefully that won’t happen. Good luck with it.

Exactly right... I had to get my loan and everything pre-done and sent over to Tesla before they would begin the shipping process into Texas due to Texas laws and Tesla not selling in Texas directly.... I had no issues with it -- It was just some learning curves that took me a little bit to figure out. I could breeze through the process next time. The bigger "question" I had was around getting insurance for it. I had to upload my insurance card SHOWING the Tesla VIN and an active start date. I had tried to post date it since I had no idea when I would get the vehicle (I didn't want to pay for insurance without a car)... but couldn't really work around that part.

I ordered my SR+ M3 on 11/22. No delivery date, have a VIN in source code. Since I’m in Texas, you’re saying I have to pay for the car in full now? I can’t even access the MVPA yet...I get an error.
You will need to have it paid in full (via Cash or loan -- either way) BEFORE they will begin the delivery process of the vehicle. If you dont have your MVPA yet to give to the bank for the loan process (provided that's your path) -- get your SA to get it for you. I had to ask them for it as the website was giving me a 0 byte file for the document.

• Informative
Reactions: badiban
New question. If my account shows this, should I just go ahead and pay? I don't want to lose my opportunity to get the car. VIN in source code but not in Account page. No contact from a sales advisor. Advice appreciated.

GNERQgz.png
Yes. My understanding is they will not put it on the truck to make it's way to Texas unless it's paid on their end...

• Informative
Yes. My understanding is they will not put it on the truck to make it's way to Texas unless it's paid on their end...
You will need to have it paid in full (via Cash or loan -- either way) BEFORE they will begin the delivery process of the vehicle. If you dont have your MVPA yet to give to the bank for the loan process (provided that's your path) -- get your SA to get it for you. I had to ask them for it as the website was giving me a 0 byte file for the document.

Yup, that's what I figured. I assume I have to wait until tomorrow to contact them. I haven't even been contacted by a Sales Advisor yet. I've just been using their general phone support.

Thank you, this is super helpful. I have the option to pay and a link to the MVPA, but when I click on the MVPA I get an error that it failed to load the PDF. I’m going to wait until that’s fixed. Might have to call their support team. Thanks for your help and happy thanksgiving :)
Yup, that's what I figured. I assume I have to wait until tomorrow to contact them. I haven't even been contacted by a Sales Advisor yet. I've just been using their general phone support.
interesting. I did the first half of my process through the chat session on their website. Then through email. The person I worked with through chat and email initially was absolutely fantastic.

Hey guys!

VIN just showed up in source code and vin finder. However, hasn't showed up officially on the website. I know that payment is due before delivery but I was wondering if the payment button would show up the same time the official VIN shows up? Also, got it on tesla fianance lease not sure if that helps.

Although I just scheduled my delivery appointment for Dec 11th. My SA said that in Texas I need to make full payment before delivery so they can do the registration.

Anyone have experience with this?

How did y’all make your payment and when?

I’m in the Austin area. Ordered Pearl LRAWD AP 18in on 11/1. My VIN showed up in the source code on 11/29. I got the below text from Tesla on 12/1. Scheduled my delivery via the link provided for 12/15 and submitted my payment by selecting the electronic check option thru my account home page on 12/1 and Tesla received payment on 12/2.

All in all very smooth and so far easy process. Just 11 more days of waiting, so in the home stretch now and super excited.

As far as Tesla being able to sell directly in Texas, the Texas Dealership Association had an all out hissy fit when Tesla tried to set up shop and direct sell and lobbied the legislature to shut it down. And you can bet your boots TDA won’t be budging anytime soon, if ever.

Text from Tesla:
Your Model 3 delivery is ready to be scheduled! Select an available delivery appointment time now at tesla.com/schedule/RN1xxxxxxxxx. If you have not selected an appointment by tomorrow we will assign and notify you of your delivery appointment. Please note that in Texas we must have full payment before delivery or movement of your car. Delays in funding can lead to delayed delivery. A Tesla representative will reach out to confirm your appointment before your delivery day.

I’m in the Austin area. Ordered Pearl LRAWD AP 18in on 11/1. My VIN showed up in the source code on 11/29. I got the below text from Tesla on 12/1. Scheduled my delivery via the link provided for 12/15 and submitted my payment by selecting the electronic check option thru my account home page on 12/1 and Tesla received payment on 12/2.

All in all very smooth and so far easy process. Just 11 more days of waiting, so in the home stretch now and super excited.

As far as Tesla being able to sell directly in Texas, the Texas Dealership Association had an all out hissy fit when Tesla tried to set up shop and direct sell and lobbied the legislature to shut it down. And you can bet your boots TDA won’t be budging anytime soon, if ever.

Text from Tesla:
Your Model 3 delivery is ready to be scheduled! Select an available delivery appointment time now at tesla.com/schedule/RN1xxxxxxxxx. If you have not selected an appointment by tomorrow we will assign and notify you of your delivery appointment. Please note that in Texas we must have full payment before delivery or movement of your car. Delays in funding can lead to delayed delivery. A Tesla representative will reach out to confirm your appointment before your delivery day.

Congrats! Out of curiosity, have you purchased insurance yet? My understanding is that the insurance portion of your profile needs to be completed before delivery because Tesla will be doing the registration. I'm just worried they'll change my delivery appointment and I'll be paying insurance for a car I don't have yet.

Interestingly, I did not receive a text to confirm a delivery appointment, it just appeared in my Tesla account.

Congrats! Out of curiosity, have you purchased insurance yet? My understanding is that the insurance portion of your profile needs to be completed before delivery because Tesla will be doing the registration. I'm just worried they'll change my delivery appointment and I'll be paying insurance for a car I don't have yet.

Interestingly, I did not receive a text to confirm a delivery appointment, it just appeared in my Tesla account.
So my VIN hasn't showed up on my manage screen only on the source code. I called my delivery advisor and asked for a VIN as I saw one on the source code and they provided it to me.

He also mentioned to me that now that I have a VIN I can get insurance, so I am currently doing so now.

• Informative

No I haven’t purchased my insurance yet. I did upload my current Farmers insurance card to the Tesla website but I won’t be going with my Farmers policy as they are insanely expensive when it comes to covering Teslas. They want $1000 every 6 months for the Model 3 and for a Model S they want $3000 every 6 months :O. Only reason they could give me was they don’t have enough statical repair data on the vehicles yet.

I did an online quote with Progressive and they came in just under $500 every 6 months. The gentleman installing my 14-50 outlet said he had the same issue and went with Progressive and they’ve been great so far.

I sent an email to my SA today to see if he can confirm my VIN (since it isn’t showing up on my Tesla account page yet) but haven’t heard back from him. Once he confirms I’ll finalize my online quote with Progressive.

Congrats to you as well. So friggin excited, we’re so close now! Can hardly wait to be behind the wheel on the daily!

• Love
No I haven’t purchased my insurance yet. I did upload my current Farmers insurance card to the Tesla website but I won’t be going with my Farmers policy as they are insanely expensive when it comes to covering Teslas. They want $1000 every 6 months for the Model 3 and for a Model S they want $3000 every 6 months :O. Only reason they could give me was they don’t have enough statical repair data on the vehicles yet.

I did an online quote with Progressive and they came in just under $500 every 6 months. The gentleman installing my 14-50 outlet said he had the same issue and went with Progressive and they’ve been great so far.

I sent an email to my SA today to see if he can confirm my VIN (since it isn’t showing up on my Tesla account page yet) but haven’t heard back from him. Once he confirms I’ll finalize my online quote with Progressive.

Congrats to you as well. So friggin excited, we’re so close now! Can hardly wait to be behind the wheel on the daily!

I can confirm a less expensive and positive claim experience with Progressive. They directed me immediately to Tesla authorized Autocraft Bodywerks in Austin and approved every additional repair beyond their adjuster's estimate on my MS, which ended up doubling the cost in the end. I can also tell you I got the same story from Farmers so I dropped them.

Reactions: Bblsttx
I did the same, just uploaded my current insurance (with no Tesla on it) and a few days before delivery, my DA asked for the policy with the Tesla on it. I just went with State Farm as it was the easiest option but I will be shopping around soon. They're making me pay around $980 / 6 months with some discounts for a Model S. I'm hoping to find a better option.

Also, I've been told the same about the payment. in my case (buying a used S), they couldn't even ship the car (wasn't allowed to cross state lines) until the payment was done.

• Informative
Reactions: Bblsttx
Just a quick update, my MVPA showed up late last night. Previously I was just receiving an error message (including earlier in the evening) when trying to access the agreement (and yes I’m insanely obsessed and check these forums and my account page numerous time a day LOL). The VIN that was in my source code is the same one listed on the MVPA.

9 days and counting till pick up. Feel like a little kid waiting to see what Santa brings Christmas morning.

Reactions: byeLT4
Just a quick update, my MVPA showed up late last night. Previously I was just receiving an error message (including earlier in the evening) when trying to access the agreement (and yes I’m insanely obsessed and check these forums and my account page numerous time a day LOL). The VIN that was in my source code is the same one listed on the MVPA.

9 days and counting till pick up. Feel like a little kid waiting to see what Santa brings Christmas morning.

My VIN showed up in my actual account page yesterday, and the MVPA link is now finally working in my account as well. 6 days until pickup. I am so excited, I'm not sure how I've managed to sleep lol

• Love
Reactions: jayk82 and Bblsttx

It's worse than that. It's not just where you make payment - the car you buy must physically be outside of Texas when you make payment.

That means cars made in Texas must be shipped out of state before they are eligible to be sold to you in Texas (if it's a Tesla).

Way to be business friendly and eliminate governmental red tape Texas! Government in Texas is a national disgrace (along with a few other backwards states). How did the government in Texas get in power? Texans elected them! :rolleyes: