Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Payment In Addition To Financing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm tentatively scheduled for a 10/31 delivery. My account page indicates, "Please pay off your remaining balance prior to delivery" with an estimated amount due. The amount due reflects the difference between the sale price of the vehicle and the loan amount ($50,000) plus the $3,500 down payment ($1,000 reservation and $2,500 order deposit). My question is do I need to pay this balance before my delivery date or can I pay this amount at the same time I go to pick up the vehicle and deliver the check from my CU for $50,000? I know that many suggest withholding the payment until after inspection, which I plan to do with the bank check. However, I didn't know if failing to make the other payment prior to delivery would potentially impact the delivery.

You will be able to pay a few days ahead by entering a bank routing number. You can also pay with a check day of. When looking at the numbers, make sure that the tax and title are added.

And while some folks may say don't pay in advance, there are many people happy with paying in advance and making the delivery process simple and quick.

Is this applicable to Texas since we don’t allow direct sales?
In Texas they won't ship the car until it is paid for. That what it was for my Model S and I assume it will be the same for my P3D-. I am just struggling now to see what I am paying and what the car being shipped is going to be as it is ready. I am getting "we'll get back to you and by the way, please give loan info.

Delivered today. Handed them the draft from my credit union and a personal check. I was surprised by the latter, I'd expected to have to do an ACH, which was fine. However, I was just as happy to not log onto my account while there. A check was easier. I signed the paperwork electronically prior to the visit, so everything was all ready to go. Some would rather not sign until there, in which case I'm sure there would be a few extra steps. Either way, it was all good.

Reactions: webdbbt
Delivered today. Handed them the draft from my credit union and a personal check. I was surprised by the latter, I'd expected to have to do an ACH, which was fine. However, I was just as happy to not log onto my account while there. A check was easier. I signed the paperwork electronically prior to the visit, so everything was all ready to go. Some would rather not sign until there, in which case I'm sure there would be a few extra steps. Either way, it was all good.

Congrats. I am picking my new model 3 up this Saturday.

Congrats. I am picking my new model 3 up this Saturday.

I’m picking up this Saturday too but I haven’t gotten my purchase agreement sign by Tesla yet. Who is suppose to sign it? My OA went a wall 3 days after placing my order. The DA in Vegas is currently helping me right now. He submitted a PO request but haven’t gotten back to me yet. Not sure how long does it take to get a single paper sign...

In my case I my payment consisted of 4 parts as follows:
- Reservation deposit (initial 1k plus 2.5k during configuration)
- Credit card payment for 5k (max they will allow)
- Personal check for down payment
- Scan that my credit union emailed to me showing copy of a check that they were mailing to Tesla that day

I was worried about them accepting scanned copy of a check from credit union that they have not yet received, but that was no problem.

I'm also confused with how Tesla handles third-party financing, since my credit union wired the financed portion this week, and now it shows a negative balance due at delivery, rather than the original positive small amount I was going to pay with a personal check. I live in Michigan and am taking delivery in Chicago-Westmont. I think the issue is that it's treating the wired financed portion as another deposit like my $2,500 order deposit, but it still also shows that I'm financing that same amount. I'm scheduled to take delivery in a week, and just trying to clear things up before then.

We were told we couldn't sign stuff in advance :(