Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Payment Method now on Tesla's My Tesla Page [Since Removed]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As long as they keep the payment friction away from the pedestal, it doesn't matter much in practice. All cars that pull into an SC will plug in, charge and leave. And perhaps leave faster if there are idle fees involved. Love that idea, since ICEing by our own remains the biggest network capacity risk today.

That said, the moment someone takes 15 minutes to try to add kW via the in-car browser and a credit card while at the pedestal with people waiting, only to find out the browser doesn't have that capability, and they have to instead call Ownership to sign up for the first time or to reload, well, it won't be pretty.

The poo-poo advocates who as yet don't own EVs will be surprised to see how costly saving that $2000 up front will get both over distance and locally in particular when things with which they have no experience become factors. Even at a relatively low rate of $0.20/kW.

Here's a simple example: At the moment, my car has consumed 37kW since SCing 60 miles away last night. But only 26kW @ 313Wh/mi is displayed "Since Last Charge" for 83.2 miles driven.

37 * $0.20 = $7.40 for 83 miles. My friend's generic Honda gets 30mpg average and gas is $2.45/gallon. Do the math.

Elon is of course correct, especially since gas won't be cheap forever. People *will* have the opportunity to save money, not to mention to reduce air pollution. But it won't be as much money as they think via poo-poo or even via the a la carte code leaked today. Unless you think the price per kW will be *cough* subsidized.

Besides being a great reason to pay up front or to just get a CPO S, the cost to the Model 3 owner who thinks they'll come out ahead by not paying up front is neither good nor bad - it's just the way it will be. Absent the clarity we've all grown accustomed to not getting, of course.

Example of clarity: No option whatsoever for lifetime included charging with the Model 3. Helps keep the Model S viable for longer, despite being twice the cost for 50% more range on a good day.

There are going to be some sweet CPO opportunities across the board when people's monthly payments approximate their gas/oil costs (yes, this applies only to higher-mileage drivers - of which there are many hereabouts). Despite the one-time versus poo-poo nonsense, the future remains bright.

As long as they don't clutter up the pedestals with poo-poo efforts. Should be an easy problem to solve with incentives and disincentives... See idle fees. Maybe.

What is an idle fee?

It's a fee based on the time you are in supercharger spot and not charging. In other words, once you're full-up, move out or face a fee, which will likely increase as the idle time increases.

Can we end the debate now that supercharger congestion is a concern for Tesla with the arrival of the Model 3? This tells us definitively that it most certainly is a concern.

What is an idle fee?
Who knows? Hopefully it's something like the parking fee we've discussed here-- a fee for staying parked at a supercharger for more than a specified time, for example more than 90 min. or 2 hours. In other words you can use it to charge as much as you need to, and have a grace period, but don't shop all day without coming back to move your car out of the supercharger stall and into a regular parking space. Or don't drop off your car, catch a ride home, and come back for it later in the day (as has been reported in California).

It's a fee based on the time you are in supercharger spot and not charging. In other words, once you're full-up, move out or face a fee, which will likely increase as the idle time increases.

Can we end the debate now that supercharger congestion is a concern for Tesla with the arrival of the Model 3? This tells us definitively that it most certainly is a concern.
So if you SC at the restaurant where Tesla is installing SC's.... you have to get up in the middle of the meal and move your car.....or you will be charged?

• Disagree
Reactions: smartypnz
As others have noted, this is correct.

But I don't think it's a problem. The scarce resource is not the electricity (which is a low-priced commodity), but rather access to the Supercharger. I think charging by connection time makes more sense anyway. This works for L2 and CHAdeMO EVSPs in every jurisdiction that I have heard of (though there are an awful lot of them, so there may be an issue somewhere).

This also fits better with Tesla's current model that you pay up front for Supercharger access, and the electricity is free - by charging you for time connected, you are paying for access rather than electricity. It is better at keeping people from charging from 90 to 100% when they don't need it.

Although reduced charging rates (from pairing, temperatures, starting SOC, battery size, local grid conditions, etc) do complicate it, so per kWh may be more reassuring to some customers even though what you really want to do is reduce the amount of time they are at the Supercharger. But the two are usually reasonably closely related.

I agree the issue is super charger access. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of Tesla implementing a system where the first 30 minutes (could be more or less depending on Tesla's own analytics of what the ideal super charger stay would be to allow people to reach the next super charger or destination charger and still maximize access at busy locations) would be free, and then a sizable per five or ten minute charge be assessed, preferably increasing with each five or ten minute increment. They'd have to take into account slowed super chargers due to occupancy and such, but that should be pretty simple given their complete access to supercharger and car stats.

They could even apply the policy to current S and X owners, and certainly for future owners. It would honor the free long distance charging thing mentioned, and I'd think most would understand. For future 3 owners like myself, maybe they could implement a package subscription as well where we'd purchase a block of super charger credits that would be drained as we use them, even during the first thirty minute period. They could play around with it even more if they wanted, maybe giving S and X owners a certain number of super charger credits a month they'd have available with the purchase of the car and any overage would be charged for if they absolutely needed to.

I agree the issue is super charger access. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of Tesla implementing a system where the first 30 minutes (could be more or less depending on Tesla's own analytics of what the ideal super charger stay would be to allow people to reach the next super charger or destination charger and still maximize access at busy locations) would be free, and then a sizable per five or ten minute charge be assessed, preferably increasing with each five or ten minute increment. They'd have to take into account slowed super chargers due to occupancy and such, but that should be pretty simple given their complete access to supercharger and car stats.

They could even apply the policy to current S and X owners, and certainly for future owners. It would honor the free long distance charging thing mentioned, and I'd think most would understand. For future 3 owners like myself, maybe they could implement a package subscription as well where we'd purchase a block of super charger credits that would be drained as we use them, even during the first thirty minute period. They could play around with it even more if they wanted, maybe giving S and X owners a certain number of super charger credits a month they'd have available with the purchase of the car and any overage would be charged for if they absolutely needed to.
No need to be that strict. Tesla doesn't know where I'm going next or what my plans are for the rest of the day. Even charging a fee after 90 min or two hours would help prevent the problem of the all day shoppers or drop offs, and would give plenty of grace period so as not to alienate legitimate users.

So if you SC at the restaurant where Tesla is installing SC's.... you have to get up in the middle of the meal and move your car.....or you will be charged?
Remember this is all hypothetical-- but yes, if your meal lasts more than 90 min. or two hours or whatever the cutoff is, you should move your car. Don't you do this already if your car is finished charging long before you're finished what you're doing?

This Credit system can also be used for rewards clubs.

I'm think of the HyVee grocery stores in Midwest that currently offer gas discounts for purchases and are installing SC's. Instead on 5 cent off a gallon of gas you get 5kWh. Same goes for Ruby Tuesday's, earn 10kWh with the purchase of a meal. Builds loyalty and gets people in the store.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
If the idle limit post charge complete is not strict, people will continue to take advantage.

Geofence the busiest 5% of the network. Nag after 5 minutes is already in place. Make it cost money after 10 minutes after charge complete and people will leave in 9 minutes. After 5 minted and people will leave in 4 minutes.

I have no problem with 5 minutes at all SCs in LA County, the OC, and San Diego County. Toss in the Bay Area for good measure, add the DC and Tri-State areas and you've got 80% of the problem children covered.

One of the flaws in this approach regarding ICEing by our own involves technology or more accurately the lack thereof (can't get nagged if you don't have a smartphone). Another recognizes that there are already a whole bunch of grandfathered inconsiderate owners out there.

That said, gotta start somewhere, and that somewhere appears to be with the Model 3 owners for better or worse.

Ironically, the much-ballyhooed Model 3 impact is simply overblown in the short term. Even at full ramp (500K cars/year), half will go overseas, many won't use SCs to begin with, and the rest, absent California and NYC/NJ/CT, will amount to maybe 1,000 cars per state per year of impact.

Exiting the stall when the charge is complete isn't just proper etiquette, respect for a scarce resource, and best practice. It's already the law in at least one state. Imagine the day when people will respect green striping as much as they do blue and red curb/space striping today. And btw, it's not out of the goodness of their hearts - the fines are steep.

And so should it be for EV charging spaces.

Reactions: Az_Rael
Remember this is all hypothetical-- but yes, if your meal lasts more than 90 min. or two hours or whatever the cutoff is, you should move your car. Don't you do this already if your car is finished charging long before you're finished what you're doing?
In this era of smart-phones I can easily imagine Tesla sending a message to an owner saying the charge is completed and to please move the vehicle.

Reactions: Model 3

If all other SC's are in use, then yes, I'm guessing you will be charged to idle. I don't need an idle fee to get me off my butt during dinner while travelling if a fellow Tesla owner is travelling too and waiting for a charge. It's unfortunate that others do. You're charging first, eating is secondary. You need to keep an eye on your car while charging if its during a time of peak use. Most times it likely won't be an issue, well, until the Model 3 arrives and is out in the wild in great numbers.

Amazing,,,, A single website change and speculation goes amuck.

Not amazing to me. That's what we do on this forum. My comments above are pure speculation. But I bet I won't be far off.