Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Payment method: Plaid vs direct draft

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is the hack which I did to bypass Plaid, I clicked Plaid and picked one bank from the list and entered dummy user name /password and let authentication fail for 4-5 times as expected, the app took few seconds and manual ACH option showed up, you can do a manual ACH and click submit and it worked for me.

• Informative
Reactions: 45thParallel
Here is the hack which I did to bypass Plaid, I clicked Plaid and picked one bank from the list and entered dummy user name /password and let authentication fail for 4-5 times as expected, the app took few seconds and manual ACH option showed up, you can do a manual ACH and click submit and it worked for me.
Even easier. Just search for a bank that doesn’t exist (i always search for zorro), then click "exit"when it says not found.

Then it will allow you to just enter routing number and account number to do the ach transfer.

Reactions: amsidory
This is not an option, because Tesla does not accept personal checks for a full payment. It only accepts certified checks (such as cashiers check) which is made out by the bank.
A certified check is not issued by the bank. It's a check prepared by the bank against your account and signed by you, but certified by the bank with the funds 'set aside' in your account for only that check and will be used to honor your check it when it's cashed. A cashier's check is issued by the bank using bank funds signed by the bank (the 'cashier'), which will be backed up by your funds set aside to be used to reimburse the bank when the check is cashed using bank funds.

I don't know if Tesla cares or even knows the difference, but when they say 'cashier's check' it has a specific meaning. Vendors tend to prefer cashier's checks because it's backed by the bank, and if there's any foolishness it'll be between the bank and you, not the vendor.

I tend to not be the 'suspicious' type, so I just paid a $30K down payment using Plaid; I just don't want any last minute 'gotcha's' at delivery.

Last edited:
Reactions: mswlogo
Great that you guys are able to manual ACH! That said, it is very easy for in Capital One to disconnect Plaid. Once I take delivery, I plan to removed Plaid's access to my single Checking account that I use just for writing manual checks or direct deductions such as Tesla or buying iSavings bonds etc.
Thats exactly what I did with my Wells account. I only provided Plaid access to a single account and after the account was debited, I deleted plaid access. I understand people’s discomfort using a third party app. If ACH would have been clearly identified as an option I would have paid that way.

Reactions: Wigan
Thats exactly what I did with my Wells account. I only provided Plaid access to a single account and after the account was debited, I deleted plaid access. I understand people’s discomfort using a third party app. If ACH would have been clearly identified as an option I would have paid that way.
That's exactly what I plan to do. How did you delete the access, from somewhere inside Wells Fargo?

That's exactly what I plan to do. How did you delete the access, from somewhere inside Wells Fargo?
Yes. You need to go into the website or mobile app and do a search for Control Center or Control Tower (don’t recall which it was). Inside there you will find third party access and that’s where plaid would be. There is a place to click on “delete access”.

Reactions: Wigan
Because I accepted Tesla's trade-in offer, I am to be paid back some $25K by Tesla. I was doing a search for how long does Tesla take to refund or write a check for overpayment or for trade in. I read some horror stories about the Plaid system and some YouTube videos as well. One is from CNBC. I don't think it is a scam, but more incompetence or poor IT systems. It could also have been prior to use of Plaid. But here it is:

Because I accepted Tesla's trade-in offer, I am to be paid back some $25K by Tesla. I was doing a search for how long does Tesla take to refund or write a check for overpayment or for trade in. I read some horror stories about the Plaid system and some YouTube videos as well. One is from CNBC. I don't think it is a scam, but more incompetence or poor IT systems. It could also have been prior to use of Plaid. But here it is:

Yes, there is a long thread here somewhere started by someone who was double-charged. Took a while to get it resolved, if I recall.

Plaid is a walking disaster. I would never give them or anyone else the login credentials for my bank. Never. As has been noted, they can grovel through all your banking history for every account connected to those login credentials. Even if they don't actually mess up and "misplace" a bunch of your money they have all your detailed financial information, which they could potentially sell to multiple third parties.

This dreamy "Oh, I'll just revoke access to Plaid when I'm done." doesn't fix anything. The only way to kick them out once they are in is to change your login credentials, and as has been noted, once you let them into your barn, it's too late to do anything useful. I also complained bitterly to my CU about their support for Plaid. If you feel similarly, I urge you to do the same. Seriously, how dare they suggest you put your financial privacy and security at risk by providing your login details to Plaid or to any other third party?

When we leased our car, we had to do a wire transfer to Tesla because our location did not accept checks of any kind. Not personal, not Cashier's check, nothing. It was either Plaid, or wire transfer, because Tesla was able to successfully hide the ability to provide them with ACH information. We even have a separate checking account we could have used for this purpose, but they deliberately hid that capability on their web page and the SA never mentioned it as a possibility.

Fortunately, at delivery the car was perfect.

Last edited:
Reactions: SucreTease
I paid using manual ACH today. It worked fine.
I was confused at first. It didn't seem like I had the option to do this, but after exiting the Plaid payment process I had the option to do it manually.
Fwiw I see why Tesla wants to make it convenient, but asking me to give a third party the ability to withdraw all funds from my bank account is pretty jarring.

Reactions: Dracaris
I read the whole thread, and I tried every tip listed to get to a place where I can enter a manual ACH...and none work for me. Plaid must be closing all the "loopholes".

Tesla's paperwork had said I could do ACH. I'm really, really annoyed that I can't. It's past time to get to the bank for a wire today, and my bank doesn't do certified checks. And Tesla insists they no longer take regular checks, even though they took them for my previous 6 Teslas.

This is not a good customer experience.

I read the whole thread, and I tried every tip listed to get to a place where I can enter a manual ACH...and none work for me. Plaid must be closing all the "loopholes".

Tesla's paperwork had said I could do ACH. I'm really, really annoyed that I can't. It's past time to get to the bank for a wire today, and my bank doesn't do certified checks. And Tesla insists they no longer take regular checks, even though they took them for my previous 6 Teslas.

This is not a good customer experience.
If you search for a bank that doesn’t exist, what happens? Does it say find a new bank? 🤣

Yup, I tried that twice, and that's basically what it does. Well, it says "search" for a different bank.

Even though the app and paperwork don't list it as an option, the random number that has been texting me since I placed the order (I assume there's Tesla employees on the other end!) says that a cashier's check will be fine.

Show up at delivery with a cashier's check from a major bank or credit union and Tesla will accept the check. Just verify that you have the final payment amount including any taxes and DMV license plate fees before obtaining the check.

FYI, The last page of your Tesla MVPA (Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement), one of the documents you can review, has payment instructions. Including full details for Mailed Check and Wire Transfer options.

I didn't really want to use Plaid, but the decision was taken from me. My credit union DCU has just changed their website, and apparently that has also broken Plaid's link to DCU. (Clearly Plaid is not simply submitting a ACH withdrawal on Tesla's behalf.) I hadn't found this thread at the time, so I didn't search for any manual payment hacks.

Since I am using Carrier Direct Delivery, where a 3rd party shipper picks up my car in New Jersey and delivers it to my home in New Hampshire, bringing a check "with me" on delivery day would not work.

Ultimately, I had DCU wire the funds to Tesla. It took DCU from around 8am when I submitted the wire using their website, to around 2pm when DCU called me to verify my wire request. I was surprised that the Tesla app showed a zero balance around 11pm eastern the same day.

Tomorrow is my scheduled Delivery Appointment, though that just means some trucker will pick it up on my behalf. I expect to wait 1 to 5 more days before the car arrives at my driveway and I can inspect it.