Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Payment method: Plaid vs direct draft

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used the 'alternate' button through plaid (where I only put in routing, account, etc.) this week and it worked just fine.

That's not working for me me. When I click the exit button from the Plaid webpage it just kicks me back out to the Tesla app with the add payment or other options button. When I click the other options, it just pops up a dialog telling me I can wire the money or bring a cashiers check.

FYI, The last page of your Tesla MVPA (Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement), one of the documents you can review, has payment instructions. Including full details for Mailed Check and Wire Transfer options.

I didn't really want to use Plaid, but the decision was taken from me. My credit union DCU has just changed their website, and apparently that has also broken Plaid's link to DCU. (Clearly Plaid is not simply submitting a ACH withdrawal on Tesla's behalf.) I hadn't found this thread at the time, so I didn't search for any manual payment hacks.

They also broke the connection to Mint. I just quit DCU because of it and moved to a different credit union.

Even easier. Just search for a bank that doesn’t exist (i always search for zorro), then click "exit"when it says not found.

Then it will allow you to just enter routing number and account number to do the ach transfer.

Doesn't work for me:

i-3gFNMph[1].jpgi-rsgxDNQ[1].jpgi-XMGdRHH[1].jpgi-v6jrWgT[1].jpgi-4gL6FDH[1].jpg

Reactions: Kupe and tander
on my iphone SE 2020
Tesla App 4.6.1-891-3784ebe63
on March 20, 2022

1. Make Your Final Payment
2. Start
3. Add Payment Method
4. Add Bank Account
5. Tesla Plain Link uses Plaid to connect to your account
6. Get started
7. Select your bank
8. Search > typed "zorro"
9. You bank was not found. Please try another bank or exit to manually add your account.
A. pressed "Exit"
B. Plaid search screen closed, leaving original "Add Payment Method" background screen
C. About two seconds later; the following screen popped up unprompted by me

Bank-details.PNG

D. Add Manually
E. About 1 second later; the following screen popped up

manual-ACH.PNG

on my iphone SE 2020
Tesla App 4.6.1-891-3784ebe63
on March 20, 2022

2. Start
3. Add Payment Method
4. Add Bank Account
6. Get started
7. Select your bank
9. You bank was not found. Please try another bank or exit to manually add your account.
A. pressed "Exit"
B. Plaid search screen closed, leaving original "Add Payment Method" background screen
C. About two seconds later; the following screen popped up unprompted by me

Bank-details.PNG

D. Add Manually
E. About 1 second later; the following screen popped up

manual-ACH.PNG
In my case, that 2 second later step pops up:
770506-954f764ecbac37da295b308bfb2ddcce.jpg

I'll try it on an iphone and report back.

Sorry to hijack this a little bit: for those who paid by cashier’s check AND had a trade-in, do you just get the check in the amount minus what Tesla quoted for your trade-in? Would Tesla reduce the trade-in amount on the spot therefore Requiring more money from you?

Last edited:
Sorry to hijack this a little bit: for those who paid by cashier’s check AND had a trade-in, do you just get the check in the amount minus what Tesla quoted for your trade-in? Would Tesla reduce the trade-in amount on the spot therefore Requiring more money from you?
You should be able to get a final number from them before you go to delivery. I confirmed with the delivery person via text - however, I didn't have a trade-in.

These modified instructions of jwillis84's instructions worked for me as of 06/23/2022 to trigger the ACH popup:
2. Start
3. Add Payment Method
4. Add Bank Account
6. Get started
7. Select your bank
<divergence point from previous instructions: some banks are found now with that search>
9. Hit X at top right of screen to exit Plaid completely at this point in search window
A. Plaid search screen closed, leaving original "Add Payment Method" background screen
B. About two seconds later; "Add bank account manually" window pops up. Select add manually button.
C. Follow ACH wizard to complete adding entry via ACH and pay!

For those who might be interested - I paid with a cashier’s check today. Tesla did call and asked me to send them a picture of the cashier’s check. I covered the account numbers up and they accepted it. I handed to the delivery staff to day when I picked up the car.

Reactions: Depwraith
These modified instructions of jwillis84's instructions worked for me as of 06/23/2022 to trigger the ACH popup:
2. Start
3. Add Payment Method
4. Add Bank Account
6. Get started
7. Select your bank
<divergence point from previous instructions: some banks are found now with that search>
9. Hit X at top right of screen to exit Plaid completely at this point in search window
A. Plaid search screen closed, leaving original "Add Payment Method" background screen
B. About two seconds later; "Add bank account manually" window pops up. Select add manually button.
C. Follow ACH wizard to complete adding entry via ACH and pay!

Followed these steps, didn't get the option in 9.B to add bank account manually. Instead I was told to pay with wire or cashier's check.

My options are only "Pay with other options" or "Search again"

Reactions: tander
I tried an iPad and still didn't have luck getting an ACH option with Plaid. I wasn't comfortable with their lack of privacy standards and elected to do a wire.

I was able to wire the money just a few minutes before pickup. It was a smooth process after one call to Tesla Support.

My S/A told me if I don't pay in advance, I can give them a cashier's check after examining the car.
That is what I plan to do. Why would someone give them the $$ before checking the car?
If it does not meet my standards, I will reject delivery and take the check back to the bank.
I was pushsed to pay in full before even inspecting the car. Once I insist to pay after the inspection, the guy told me I can't inspect the car for the interior since the door will be locked until I accept the delivery. BS. I don't take that and I replied that if I can't inspect the car inside out, I won't pay the balance. Not sure what they will say.

I never heard of Plaid before so I checked them out and found my bank Wells Fargo backs them as they use Plaid as a back end funds transfer service. So I used the service and the transaction seemed a bit slow but I was warned not to click on the send payment now button more than once or it might trigger a double transfer. Anyway, once complete in about 3 minutes, the Tesla page stated I had paid in full. However my bank didn't show the funds moved to Tesla until this morning about 24 hours later.

As for inspection- I can still do the inspection and document the needed service and set up an appointment for repair. Here they want you to take delivery and depending on the severity of work they will send a mobile service truck to your home and do the work there. If it requires a lift and garage then they make that decision after you accept ownership of the car. If you refuse the car then you may have to wait for your refund less the transport fee and other costs. Believing you can chisel the price down on a high demand product is not likely to happen by holding up payment. They will probably just put the car in inventory and it will be sold in an hour. If I didn't like doing business with Tesla, I would not be buying a Tesla much less two of them and I wouldn't have so much stock in the company either.

I understand not everyone's Tesla employees are like my experience so everyone needs to do what works best and by all means reference check Plaid with your bank. See what they say.
What are the accepted methods of payment?
Before driving off with your new Tesla, we require that the balance be paid in full, either personally or by way of guarantee from a financing institution.

Confirm your method of payment with your Tesla representative prior to Delivery Day. In some states, payment must be received before delivery and cannot be accepted at time of pick-up.

Final payment is accepted via:

• Electronic check (direct debit) in the Tesla app
  • Wire transfer
  • Certified check at time of pick-up, with your Reference Number (RN) and name in the memo line
Note: Only credit cards are accepted for the initial order fee.

Can final payment be made from more than one account?
Final payment can be made from only one account.

Where can I find more information about the tax incentives in my state?
Visit electric vehicle incentives to find state and local incentives you may be eligible for.

This is from Tesla's official website. It is clearly saying that customer only needs to provide the payment information before the delivery and then pay in full before driving off the car from the store. As for which state has this option, I can't find any related information. Anyone who can find it, please share it with me. Thanks.

They gave me the paperwork to sign while sitting inside my car when I picked mine up. Of course, that may have been Covid protocol at the time (March 2021) but many, many people have reported that they were allowed to inspect the car inside and out prior to finalizing payment.