Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Payson! Show Low! Globe! Kayenta! Chile! ( and Sierra Vista! Tubac! Why! )
I'd say:
Payson, Globe, Kayenta ( needed for Monument Valley / Arches NP as Moab Utah SC is a stretch),
Not on Tesla's Radar yet:
Next Tier
Tusayan (south rim GC), Jacob Lake (north Rim GC), Show Low
Next Tier +1
Then Why (Rocky Point trips)
Next Tier + 2
Lots of luck on Sierra Vista, Chinle and Tubac - 5 yrs out I'd venture a guess

Tusayan (south rim GC)

Last year, Thomas Edison National Historical Park got four level two charging stations allegedly "signaling the beginning of installations across the country". I wonder why this auspicious event didn't occur at our nation's largest National Park along with the renaming of it to Tesla Grand Canyon National Park. Maybe it's the NPS that's holding up the completion of Ft. Stockton's SC. The conspiracy continues.....

Last edited:
We need to get superchargers in Show Low and Springerville/Eagar so that the White Mountains will be accessible too.

The estimate of Supercharger installs has been vastly overstated by Tesla. There are sites in cities that were supposed to have them in 2017, pushed to 2018, which I doubt will not happen until 2019 or beyond. Model 3s and used S and X models are not getting free supercharging, and Tesla recently pushed the kW charge up to .24/kW here in CA. While all this new revenue is supposed to support the installation of new Superchargers, I don't see this happening. Very discouraging, especially when you see all the new M3s rolling off the assembly line. Charging your car to 80% in 30-40 minutes is great but not if you have to wait 30 minutes or more to get a stall. Despicable!

We need to get superchargers in Show Low and Springerville/Eagar so that the White Mountains will be accessible too.
As you probably already know, it is for S 85 and above but you have to drive to Show Low then jog up to Holbrook pretty much straight away and then back down.

I also utilize a RV retirement park by White Mountain Lake with 240 V 50 amp. Also Jim Click dealer in Show Low will let you use 240 V (owner from valley owns a Tesla) but have to pull into shop. I initially plugged in outside and ran extension to wheel balancing outlet but tripped the breaker a few times (car did not auto adjust) until I had asked them what breaker size was in the panel. If I remember right it was 20 amp so charging was set very low and slow. The outlet in their shop bay may be higher.

I heard rumor that a charge station is going to be installed at Maverick convenience store. By whom or what or when was not known. There is a B&B that charges $10 for charging (if not staying) up near the area too that is listed on Plugshare.

At least Payson has a permit and is on the FindUs SC Tesla map with a more specific timeline (Fall 2018) other than "coming soon". But Pecos and Ft. Stockton, Tx say summer of 2018, which is hard to believe at this point, so maybe the Fall 2018 is also meaningless.

Sure wish we had more insight as to the AZ priority list.

Last edited:
SSonnentag said:
We need to get superchargers in Show Low ... so that the White Mountains will be accessible too.

Payson will do it if you are coming from Phoenix. In fact, you don’t even need a supercharger in Payson now to make that trip. I have a five-year-old S 85 and have been driving from Cavecreek to Pinetop (190 miles) almost every weekend April-November for the past five years. I can’t go above 62 mph until the top of the rim, and from there on I can go 5-9 over the speed limit and I make it with about 20 miles left in the tank. Of course, coming back, I can go 5-9 over the entire way and arrive home with 70- 80 miles left.

So what will a supercharger in Payson do for me? I should be able to average 10 mph faster up to the rim, 120 miles, which would save me 20 minutes. But it would take me at least that long to top off at a supercharger, so I save nothing. We always stop for lunch, so I suppose that if I eat lunch while charging that would save some time. The problem is, in 18 years of driving up to Pinetop, we have never stopped in that shopping center for lunch as there is nothing there but crap. Being tied to a supercharger network always requires compromises.

I might add that driving at only 62 is very relaxing!

SSonnentag said:
We need to get superchargers in Show Low ... so that the White Mountains will be accessible too.

Payson will do it if you are coming from Phoenix. In fact, you don’t even need a supercharger in Payson now to make that trip. I have a five-year-old S 85 and have been driving from Cavecreek to Pinetop (190 miles) almost every weekend April-November for the past five years. I can’t go above 62 mph until the top of the rim, and from there on I can go 5-9 over the speed limit and I make it with about 20 miles left in the tank. Of course, coming back, I can go 5-9 over the entire way and arrive home with 70- 80 miles left.

So what will a supercharger in Payson do for me? I should be able to average 10 mph faster up to the rim, 120 miles, which would save me 20 minutes. But it would take me at least that long to top off at a supercharger, so I save nothing. We always stop for lunch, so I suppose that if I eat lunch while charging that would save some time. The problem is, in 18 years of driving up to Pinetop, we have never stopped in that shopping center for lunch as there is nothing there but crap. Being tied to a supercharger network always requires compromises.

I've done Payson in an S85D from Gilbert, but cold weather gives me range anxiety and I can't do much more than go there and get back.
Actually I go to Camp Tontozona Creek, which is about 17 miles east of Payson, so yes, Payson round trip is easy, but Payson and anywhere a bit further is touchy. I do bring my charging cable and my 240 adapter that lets me plug into the old fashion drying plugs.

After the spurt of new additions leading up to July 5th, there have only been 2 adds after that. Maybe they fired half of the SC team.
I'm still awaiting some major convenience store to announce the addition of SCs at all of their stores.

SSonnentag said:

Some of us don't have very easy places to charge once we get up there while others have a destination (home/cabin) to charge at. The friends place I go is not grid tied and I drag up 5 deep cycle and a couple solar panels to have some lights, dvd, etc. So as I mentioned earlier. I drive straight to Holbrook then back to White Mountain Lake in Show Low.