Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PCH Early return?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all - Anyone any experience with an early return of Tesla on a PCH? I'm due to take delivery of a new car (Defender 110) in April, 3 months before contract due to end. I don't want to pay for the remaining months (£700 a month!) and having ran an early return quote in the app, it's showing £0. Is that the cost IN ADDITION to the outstanding monthly cost, or the total charge?

ps. Anyone who's returned on PCP/PCH - How scrutinous are they on (a) damage and (2) modifications... eg. WIll I need to remove the matt panels from the interior, the auto-open struts from the frunk, the tinted rear window film, etc? Guessing they'll charge for kerb rash? Any idea how much?

I really others being able to return for £0; basically the car is worth more second hand than the PCH vendor expected, and they'll happily take it off your hands 3 months early and make a profit while the going is good...

Kerb rash is generally chargeable, but it's not generally excessive (Some have mentioned 50 quid a wheel or so, generally cheaper than fixing it yourself)

Will Tesla expect any “modifications” to the car to be reverted to original? For me, I need to consider reverting;

- changed lighting footwells & door pools
- red sticker on Tesla logo front & back
- spring-loaded struts on boot/frunk
- Matt plastic cover on piano surfaces interior
- privacy glass film on windows…?

Are you handing it back to a lease company? If so, they're more than likely going to expect the car handed back to them in the same condition as they handed it to you. They're not going to be interested in keeping any modifications you've made to the car and any excuse they can find to levy a charge against you, they will probably use. What you think are enhancements, someone else might hate so they will expect a bog standard car handed back. However, some companies may be more lenient than others. You're best off asking them for their stance regarding this.

Most lease companies follow BVRLA guidance when it comes to fair wear and tear and the BVRLA website outlines what is considered fair wear and tear (eg, size and number of scratches per panel, amount of acceptable kerbing etc..). If they've not already given you information regarding costs to repair any unacceptable damage then you should be able to ask for it fairly easily.

Let us know how much you can get away with!

Pretty sure it’s expected to be back to factory state when you give back.
That’s why I didn’t bother with tints etc.
The aero trims are in the garage ready for 2 years time.
The wood dash covers I got will come off easily, so that was £40 well spent to hide the wood.
Some stuff on your list, they might not spot.
How lucky do you feel?

That sounds about right. Between £50-£80 per wheel is probably the going rate depending on wheel size and location. If the lease company have to do it the!selves they'll be sure to inflate that price.
The other option is to leave it and hope they're not overly fussy and see if you get away with it. I'd say that's unlikely though!

Usually lease companies have a price list (or should at least). e.g. alphabet has one so you can decide beforehand. I found their prices reasonable so I was happy to wait to see if they'll demand something. Finally they were happy with the wheels so it costed nothing! (this was for an Audi A4 avant returned in Dec-22, before getting my Tesla).

by the way, I returned it 15 months early with no early payment charges. This is because they thought that they can sell much higher than what anticipated at the beginning of the lease period.

I wish that was the case with Zen Auto - no flexibility at all. Will have to pay back at least half of all remaining payments. They were not interested when I called them. Will end up going with another company new time. It’s a real shame as they are excellent for everything else.

I'm now being told that the tyres i've ordered (kumho ecsta ps91) are "not tesla approved". Looking at BlackCricle, only the PIlot 4S Acoustic (+£100 per tyre vs Kumho) are "T0" and "Tesla approved". The spec is otherwise the same (speed & seasonality rating etc). Will Tesla kick off about this when I return the vehicle?

I'm now being told that the tyres i've ordered (kumho ecsta ps91) are "not tesla approved". Looking at BlackCricle, only the PIlot 4S Acoustic (+£100 per tyre vs Kumho) are "T0" and "Tesla approved". The spec is otherwise the same (speed & seasonality rating etc). Will Tesla kick off about this when I return the vehicle?
Possibly. Any tyres that are replaced should be the same size, speed and load rating as originally fitted but you say those boxes are ticked. They may have an issue if the tyres aren't Tesla approved though.

If you fit new tyres that are later rejected by the leasing company it could end up costing you way more than you are looking to save. Best bet is to call the leasing company and speak to someone who can give you proper advice and information regarding acceptable return standards.

Here’s the email I sent…

I am due to have new tires fit to my Tesla M3 Performance this afternoon. They are Kumho 235/35 R20 Y92, meeting the speed (Y92) and seasonality (A-rated) requirements. They are not “T0” Tesla-approved tires.

I am writing to confirm this will be accepted at lease end – I appreciate your preference for T0 tires (Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S Acoustic) however I do not believe this is a requirement, but rather a guidance. I cannot see in the fair ware & tare listing on your website, nor in the referenced BVRLA Fair wear & tear guidance, any reference to requiring ‘manufacturer approved’ tires.

Please can you confirm by 1pm today that the above Kumho tires will be accepted without charge at lease termination. Alternatively, please share the T&C clause which shows the requirement for “T0” tires.

… and reply from Tesla Lease Return UK;

Good Morning,

Thank you for your below email regarding tyres for your Model 3.

We have investigated this case and can confirm that yes, the tyres you noted will be accepted.

Please note however that our recommended tyres are: Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S Acoustic.

Being fit as we speak.

A80AF8EB-25A1-4AED-ACAE-8C444BC711FC.png
For reference also;

586B4266-A44F-416D-9B97-BD43EE4B14BB.png

8815BEE4-C27E-4B4C-A45E-3D700E99EB78.png