Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PCS_a052 Error when trying to charge on 110V at home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

New owner here and was trying to charge my '23 M3 RWD on 110V for the first time today using a 25' extension cord (10/3 SJTW). The charge starts out great at 12/12 A, 118V, 1kW but then after about an hour, I get a PCS_a052 error. I tried the other plug on the same outlet but still get the error only this time after about 10-15min.

I'm planning to try and find another outlet on a different circuit (to try and rule out the outlet), try charging on a Level 2 public charger (to try and rule out the mobile connector), and then lastly try to charge on a SC to make sure it's not a car issue.

In the meantime, I was hoping anyone else who's had a similar problem might be able to chime in on what the problem and solution was for you in the end?

Thanks in advance all!

I'm not familiar with that warning but you're on the right track. You need to eliminate variables. You want to learn how to charge on all of the platforms anyway, and it will help you figure out what the issue is.
To recap, you haven't tried charging anywhere else at all since taking ownership of the car?
I've never used an extension cord, but my very amateur opinion is the car is sensing a weak point in the charging setup.

Upvote 0
I just did a quick search and found this. For future reference you'll want to describe what the car told you that went along with the error code. You have a voltage issue. I guarantee that you'll be able to supercharge or use a properly installed level 2 charger without a problem.

PCS_a052External charging equipment not providing powerCheck power source or try different equipment​

Charging cannot begin due to a condition that prevents your vehicle from charging with AC power. DC fast charging / Supercharging should still function as expected.
Your vehicle has requested AC power from the external charging equipment, but the onboard charger does not detect any supply voltage coming from the equipment.
This can sometimes be caused by a hardware issue specific to the external charging equipment, which prevents the charging equipment from switching power to the vehicle on or off when requested. It could also occur due to another condition affecting the external charging equipment, the power source it is connected to, or your vehicle itself.
As this alert is usually specific to external charging equipment and power sources, and it does not typically indicate an issue with your vehicle that can be resolved by scheduling service, it is recommended that you try charging with multiple, different types of charging equipment.
You can also try charging your vehicle using a Tesla Supercharger or Destination Charging location, all of which can be located through the map on your vehicle's touchscreen display. See Maps and Navigation for more details. Additional third-party charging stations may also be available in your area to help you to pinpoint the issue.
For more information on troubleshooting Mobile Connector or Wall Connector status lights, refer to the product's Owner's Manual at Charging & Adapter Product Guides. If using other external charging equipment, refer to the manufacturer's provided documentation for troubleshooting tips.

Upvote 0
I just did a quick search and found this. For future reference you'll want to describe what the car told you that went along with the error code. You have a voltage issue. I guarantee that you'll be able to supercharge or use a properly installed level 2 charger without a problem.

PCS_a052External charging equipment not providing powerCheck power source or try different equipment​

Charging cannot begin due to a condition that prevents your vehicle from charging with AC power. DC fast charging / Supercharging should still function as expected.
Your vehicle has requested AC power from the external charging equipment, but the onboard charger does not detect any supply voltage coming from the equipment.
This can sometimes be caused by a hardware issue specific to the external charging equipment, which prevents the charging equipment from switching power to the vehicle on or off when requested. It could also occur due to another condition affecting the external charging equipment, the power source it is connected to, or your vehicle itself.
As this alert is usually specific to external charging equipment and power sources, and it does not typically indicate an issue with your vehicle that can be resolved by scheduling service, it is recommended that you try charging with multiple, different types of charging equipment.
You can also try charging your vehicle using a Tesla Supercharger or Destination Charging location, all of which can be located through the map on your vehicle's touchscreen display. See Maps and Navigation for more details. Additional third-party charging stations may also be available in your area to help you to pinpoint the issue.
For more information on troubleshooting Mobile Connector or Wall Connector status lights, refer to the product's Owner's Manual at Charging & Adapter Product Guides. If using other external charging equipment, refer to the manufacturer's provided documentation for troubleshooting tips.
Yeah, sorry I should have clarified in my post that I did look it up in tesla's troubleshooting guide and used that start trying to narrow down between car vs mobile connector vs house outlet.

I did charge successfully on a L2 public charger last night so to your point I suspect that supercharging will be no issue as well.

I have not been able to find another easily accessible outlet yet so I'm going to have to see if one of my neighbors have one that I can plug into. The outlet at my house unfortuately is just too far to reach with just the mobile connector so I can't rule out the extension cord yet. For what it's worth, I did check the extension cord with a multimeter and it seems to be just fine. I checked the outlet with a receptacle tester and its showing as supposedly wired correctly.

Upvote 0
Are you able to try it without the extension cord? Or with a different outlet? It is amazing the number of 120v outlets that are not correctly wired or have poor connections.
Have not been able to try without an extension cord yet. My home outlet is too far unfortunately.

I'm going to try to put it through a window and see if I can reach an outlet inside to try to rule out the outdoor outlet. I did use a receptacle tester and it did show as being wired correctly.

Reactions: davewill
Upvote 0
Hi all,

New owner here and was trying to charge my '23 M3 RWD on 110V for the first time today using a 25' extension cord (10/3 SJTW). The charge starts out great at 12/12 A, 118V, 1kW but then after about an hour, I get a PCS_a052 error. I tried the other plug on the same outlet but still get the error only this time after about 10-15min.

I'm planning to try and find another outlet on a different circuit (to try and rule out the outlet), try charging on a Level 2 public charger (to try and rule out the mobile connector), and then lastly try to charge on a SC to make sure it's not a car issue.

In the meantime, I was hoping anyone else who's had a similar problem might be able to chime in on what the problem and solution was for you in the end?

Thanks in advance all!
What happens if you reduce the amperage to 11 or 10amps?

Upvote 0
You're wrangling with pretty much the worst-case charging solution for an EV that exists. 120v circuit with an extension cord.

120v can work, kinda sorta, but it pretty much requires an ideal setup.

In your case, you're going to have some voltage sag because of the extension cord (in actuality, voltage sag affects everyone, from the losses incurred by our inside-the-wall house wiring... but it's sufficiently minimal that most people don't notice it). And it's very likely that the outlet you're plugging into has other things on it. Do you know what else is on that circuit? And you might want to measure the actual voltages at the outlet and at the end of the extension cord.

It's also possible that the circuit you're trying to use has one or more loose connections. That could be inside the panel, at the breaker, at the outlet itself, or any of the intervening outlet locations (most residential electric circuits are daisy-chained).

The fact that you were able to charge for awhile before seeing the error code would suggest that you're right on the nubbin's edge.

Congrats on the new Model 3. No doubt you'll be fine once you get your electric situation sorted.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Are you able to try it without the extension cord? Or with a different outlet? It is amazing the number of 120v outlets that are not correctly wired or have poor connections.
There's one place I go on vacation that has a weak 120 outlet. It takes about 2 hours and then the circuit breaker pops. Other than that I've never had an issue charging anywhere else in my 3+ years of ownership.

Upvote 0
I'll just say it...I hope you don't intend on using that power source for this winter there in Boston...even if it was working perfectly. Charging will lose out to need to warm the battery.
It won't be my main source of charging. I'm charging 95% of time at my workplace and just really intending to have this as either topping off or as an emergency charging source to be able to get me to a faster charging location (ie, supercharger). I'll probably end up getting a proper EVSE installed but just trying to troubleshoot my current setup.

Upvote 0