TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Peak Demand for the X? My Firsthand Experience Suggests Otherwise

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Allante, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Allante

Allante Member

Yesterday, I reserved a 75D (6-seat, autopilot, red-on-ultra white, standard rims to be replaced by T-Sportline 20" turbines) at my local store in Bethesda, MD, a suburb of Washington, DC. Based on my observations of customer interactions in the store, conversations with the salespersons, and experience with gawkers during my test drive, consumer interest in the X is just beginning.

The Bethesda store received its first showroom X only 2-3 weeks ago. The store had 3 things on display: in the front was a S, in the middle was the S's chassis, and way in the back was a white X. Due to this distant placement, the X was not immediately noticeable to customers walking past the store. Notwithstanding being obscured, during my 45-minute presence in the store, I noticed that nearly ALL customers in the store were hovering around the X. I asked the salespersons why they didn't put the X in the front to juice interest further, and they responded that they already have more interest than they can handle, stating that the crowds resembled an Apple store over the July 4th weekend. When I asked about delivery times, they said that new reservations are scheduled for mid-October on the east coast. Assuming TSLA is producing 700 Xs per week, that suggests there are at least 8000 Xs awaiting production before mine.

As many of you have stated here, I was overwhelmed with gawkers during my test drive. I pulled into a parking lot at a small strip mall, and as soon as the falcon wings opened, an elderly lady in an adjacent car rolled down her window and remarked, "Wooooowwwww!" and was jaw dropped for a few seconds. Within 30 seconds, 6 people had swarmed the X like honeybees, asking what it was, how I liked it during the test drive. One even scheduled a test drive with the salesperson.

Based on these firsthand experiences yesterday in the small town of Bethesda, interest in the X is poised to skyrocket now that the car is finally available in stores. Although I strongly support Tesla's mission and Elon's vision, I am neither a TSLA bull nor a drinker of Kool Aid. I think the X has 2 major design flaws -- the non-folding middle seats and frumpy-looking exterior styling. But I found that the positive aspects of the X easily overwhelmed the negatives. Accordingly, I think production of 50K units in CY2017 is supportable by the intense level of interest that I have observed.

Just wanted to share my experience yesterday while test driving the X in a small town. Interested in hearing others' recent experiences over the past 2-3 weeks to determine whether mine was an anomoly.

• Like x 10
    • Informative x 3
    • Love x 1
  2. farzyness

farzyness Food lover. Entrepreneur. Did I say food lover?

Thank you very much!

Would be curious to hear if others that either own the car or have gone on test drives experience a similar level of interest.

3. KaiserSoze

KaiserSoze Member

I have experienced the same phenomenon.

However, I'm wary of concluding that this represents demand which will actually turn into car sales. Most people who gawk at the X can't afford the X. If you'd driven in an Model S, an Aston Martin or a Maserati, you might also get a high level of attention. The question is how many of those who can afford all four of these cars will choose the X.

• Like x 1
  4. farzyness

farzyness Food lover. Entrepreneur. Did I say food lover?

That's a great point - but I would make an argument that a % of the gawkers that aren't able to afford an X will be future Model 3, Y, or even more affordable models by Tesla. Model X serves as a great brand-builder.

5. madodel

madodel X at the end of a rainbow

Where I live there is only one other X, which I have never even seen but I have spoken with the owner when we both had reservations. After 5 months I still get comments from random people about my car and anytime I open the FW doors attracts a crowd. No one has so far come up to me and told me it was ugly though. ;-) I've had lots of people ask to take a photo. Just today I was walking to my car and a guy who was on his phone started yelling at me what a nice car it was and how nice that the door opened for me automatically. Mostly people have no idea what a Tesla is and ask me questions about it. Yes I doubt many of the people have the funds to buy an X, but many have said they know about and want a Model Ξ. I see lots of Lexus, BMW, MB, and Audis around here though and I think when the Ξ is out those brands may be in trouble.

• Like x 3
  6. cmc5dc

cmc5dc Member

I was at a train stop, at the corner of my eye I see a lady getting out of her passenger truck and proceeds to walk in front of her truck towards me. I didn't make eye contact until she was at my front passemger gestering to roll down my window. WTH.....rolled down my window and she asks how do you open the back passenger door, do you slide it? How do you open the doors? Needless to say, she was impressed. A few others have waved me down just to see the falcon wings operate.

• Like x 3
  7. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Member

I think there will be significant interest in the 60 kWh Model X. Many people at my work have seen my X, today one of my coworkers started asking me about it as he had heard there was the no 60 kWh that started at $74k. $100k+ was out of his price range, but we was definitely interested in maybe the base model + 6 seats and maybe 1 or 2 other features. I explained to him the differences, and that the 60 kWh will definitely be sufficient getting around town, and you *can* take road trips with it, but you will need to stop at Superchargers more often for longer times, and you'll be limited how far off the Supercharger path you can go.

• Like x 2
  8. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

I echo @madodel. I recently took a 2000 mile trip on my X and everywhere the X was treated like a celebrity. I also agree that most of the people who are taking pictures of the car may not be able to afford it but it does generate enough interest in Tesla especially for Model 3 and EVs in general.

• Like x 3
  9. ggnykk

ggnykk Active Member

Cool, you should also explain to your coworker that there are also many charger for destination charging, and his own home charging. The way you explained probably make him thinks that anything out of range from supercharger will be screwed.

10. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

Besides destination chargers there is a good network of DC chargers that use ChadeMo adapter. And though not fast or free like the superchargers they are an excellent option when you're between superchargers and need to charge up in a jiffy. PlugShare makes it easy to find them.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  11. Drivin

Drivin Member

How can that be true if they had 30000 preorders 10 months ago? Will all that lent up demand along with your expectation of increased demand be satisfied at that point?

12. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Member

In the southeast there aren't that many Chademo chargers in places that aren't already covered by Superchargers. Plus many of them around here are single charger installations and not super reliable. I would be fine using destination charging at my destination as intended, but I wouldn't want to charge L2 on the way somewhere as it would take way too long. Many people buying Model X have young kids and waiting around hours for a charge isn't the best. Also showing up to a single Chademo only to find it is in use or broken and your trip gets delayed several hours would be bad as well.

• Informative x 1
  13. electricity

electricity Member

I don't open the falcon wing doors much, but 2 out of 3 times I did that I had people get closer to ask about the car. Both thought it was the Model 3 , didn't know the X existed.. actually, I would venture to say about 95% of the world population have no idea of what Tesla is and are just starting to know about it.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  14. ggnykk

ggnykk Active Member

At least the people that approached you knew about Model 3 and Tesla.

95% of world population? I think it is worse than that. I bet 99.9% of world population has never heard of Tesla. And within those people, probably 90% of them have never heard of electric car. Most people in this world just live within their own little bubble.

• Like x 1
  15. RxShah

RxShah Member

I agree. My 2 week old MX makes me feel like a celebrity. It generates tremendous interest, and some amount will convert into MX sales, some into MS sales, and much into M3.

• Like x 1
  16. Crowded Mind

Crowded Mind Member

I hope people are explaining to the curious crowds that they should be reserving Model 3 now so as to not be waiting years longer for delivery :)

17. engle

engle Member

My latest eXcounter was early evening this past Friday. I was up on a step stool cleaning my windows when I noticed a young boy standing at the bottom of my driveway near the mailbox by himself staring at my X. I waved to him. Shortly thereafter, his Mom, grandparents, and a younger brother came into view. She told me he's seen several X's (we are Fremont, CA neighbors and there are at least 4 out of ~250 homes in our gated community) - but has never seen "the doors" open. I gave him my key fob and showed him how to use it. He had a magical look in his eyes as he watched the doors open and when he pushed the top of the fob to close everything.

My neighbor told me they already have a Model S, "and now we don't have to buy a minivan anymore". The TSLA investor in me was of course very happy to hear that. I told her they have X's in most of the Bay Area stores now, and suggested she bring her son there to play with them sometime.

Generally, I've noticed that the youngest generations (K-University) seem to have the highest Tesla brand awareness, partly based upon my X's participation in a Memorial Day parade. The X seems to get noticed more by men than women. I've also had several random people ask me: "is this that new Model 3?".

IMHO, the FWDs have definitely turned into the viral marketing phenomenon that TSLA intended them to be.

• Like x 3
  18. DFibRL8R

DFibRL8R Member

Good stuff. Early ownership of the Model S was similar, less of a rarity of course now but I still get questions and comments from folks who claim to have never seen an EV nor heard of Tesla etc and still turn some heads. Have to agree that the FWDs definately have more of a wow factor than the door handles on the S.

• Like x 2
  19. electricity

electricity Member

Knock on wood. I had no issues with my doors, auto presenting works like a charm and I still believe the FWD's is one of the X's biggest selling points. Elon understood the importantce of them, even if it took 2 more years and many issues more. They are WORTH IT. Trust me.

• Like x 1
  20. DougH

DougH Active Member

I dunno, I had a demo P90X yesterday for a few hours and the doors worked fine but it was kinda of annoying having to wait for them to open just to grab something out of the back seat.