TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Pearl Harbor Day

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by AudubonB, Dec 7, 2015.

1. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Seventy-five years ago this morning, the nation's only (?) extant aircraft carrier, the USS Ranger (1931-1947), was steaming toward Virginia's Norfolk Naval Station to take on new crew, including a 23 year-old Lieutenant (jg) who had motored down from Connecticut with his father, and the two were enjoying their last morning together in the countryside out of town.

When the horrible news came across the car radio, he said "Dad! I've got to get to my ship now!"

And thus the Lieutenant...and eventually Captain...spent every single day of the War in action - in the South Atlantic, then off the African coast, then the South Pacific, on to Okinawa, to southern Japan and after the war's end to the Formosan coast.

Dad died seventy years to the day later, on Pearl Harbor Day, 2011. And through that long, long, long and hugely varied and productive life, nothing surpassed those four years as formative and terrible and unforgettable.

2. AudubonB

I owe a thank you to all the to-date 110 viewers who were kind enough to forebear from correcting my advanced mathematics. 2015 - 1941 is not 75 years...I think I'll blame it on all the focus I have for Tesla in 2016.

Yes, that's what I'll do.....:redface:

3. muleferg

muleferg Member

I would have been proud to serve under your Dad.

US Navy 1951-55 IMG_1334.JPG AM 316 Minesweeper

4. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Well done!

5. AudubonB

#5 AudubonB, Dec 9, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
    Crikeys. You came awfully close! He was the commanding officer (as either Commander or Lt. Commander) of the minesweeper USS Steady (AM-118, later MSF-118) at the end of the War. They cleared the mines off Formosa, and then steamed her all the way back to California (Dad hated the trans-Pac crossing in that little stinkpot tub more than any other part of his naval career).

But in your time - from '49 to '54, he served as the Naval Attache to NATO, based (lucky duck!) in London, Frankfurt and Paris.

As an aside, when I was a little squirt in the summer of 1967, was with Dad on a trip to San Diego. "Let's go visit the naval yard," he said, and when there, he was utterly surprised and elated to find the Steady. The irony, or at least closing of the circle, was that she had just been sold to and was heading back to Formosa, now, of course, Taiwan.

6. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

Thank you very much for sharing the stories. I had two great uncles that were on the USS Arizona and are now names on the memorial. I am happy to hear that it went much better for your father.