Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pearl white and yellowish side skirts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed the other day when I washed my car that there was a lot of yellowish on the side skirts. Unfortunately I don’t have a picture now as it is heavily dirty again but I took one from earlier where this yellow tint is located. I’ll try to get some pictures in a while.

It looks really bad after washing as the yellow color stood out so much. Is it some additional protection they have put on and can I do anything about it?

Attachments

• AF71AAF4-4D36-43A0-90E8-6E9BEB539B89.jpeg
    AF71AAF4-4D36-43A0-90E8-6E9BEB539B89.jpeg
    218.9 KB · Views: 599
Hej!

Mud guards should prevent most of the dirt accumulation on the rockers and lower part of your doors. Mud guards addressed most of the dirt splatter problems for me. You’ll still get some splatter even with mud guards, but it won’t be nearly as bad. Also, I think you will need to be more diligent about cleaning these areas on a regular basis. You could also add some PPF in these areas. The PPF won’t prevent the dirt accumulation, but it will offer some protection from chips and scratches caused by the splatter... and will prevent the inevitable self-inflicted scratches that often happen when you try to wash/wipe/clean your vehicle.

Hej!

Mud guards should prevent most of the dirt accumulation on the rockers and lower part of your doors. Mud guards addressed most of the dirt splatter problems for me. You’ll still get some splatter even with mud guards, but it won’t be nearly as bad. Also, I think you will need to be more diligent about cleaning these areas on a regular basis. You could also add some PPF in these areas. The PPF won’t prevent the dirt accumulation, but it will offer some protection from chips and scratches caused by the splatter... and will prevent the inevitable self-inflicted scratches that often happen when you try to wash/wipe/clean your vehicle.
Thanks for the reply. Mud gards were applied on the front when I got the car and I have some added PPF at the rear of the sides (not shown in this picture).

Apologise for the dirty car but as you can see there is another layer of protection on the lower part of the sides and this additional protection is discoloured. Looks really bad tbh..
IMG_2761.jpeg

I think part of the problem is your current mud guards are a little too small to be effective. So, I think going with a slightly larger mud guard will make a significant difference for you. Below is a photo I found on Amazon, showing someone with slightly larger mud guards. This is the same one that I have on my vehicle. I think these fit and look great on a Model 3.

As for cleaning your existing vehicle, after you wash it to remove most of the dirt, you will probably need to use a clay bar to remove the remaining contaminants that are more embedded into the surface of your paint or PPF. If you still see some type of yellowish color after this, then a stronger chemical cleaner (that is safe to use on automotive paint) and/or a polishing compound may be needed. Good luck!

61QFhC5VJML.jpg

Washed the car today. Take a look and see the different color on the sides. I think it’s some adhesive that turned yellow as I can’t get it off while washing.

Attachments

• 257E9C45-EECD-4506-9E76-BB3CEAD109F9.jpeg
    257E9C45-EECD-4506-9E76-BB3CEAD109F9.jpeg
    424.1 KB · Views: 272
  • DE94C1B1-3117-4217-843D-96254CFF018E.jpeg
    DE94C1B1-3117-4217-843D-96254CFF018E.jpeg
    386.2 KB · Views: 270
  • EABF5E8F-7705-40ED-A057-46FAC1B444F1.jpeg
    EABF5E8F-7705-40ED-A057-46FAC1B444F1.jpeg
    290.4 KB · Views: 259
  • BC3EA4E9-12C7-4FB3-918D-CDBDCB968680.jpeg
    BC3EA4E9-12C7-4FB3-918D-CDBDCB968680.jpeg
    409.6 KB · Views: 247
  • B07C9F35-0E70-47CD-AD9D-1BF0B4B0895D.jpeg
    B07C9F35-0E70-47CD-AD9D-1BF0B4B0895D.jpeg
    232.5 KB · Views: 231
  • 9644F062-088A-4FF4-A398-FE218F2FFC9C.jpeg
    9644F062-088A-4FF4-A398-FE218F2FFC9C.jpeg
    367.5 KB · Views: 254
What kind of soap are you using to wash your car? The issue could be that you are using a soap that is not strong enough to clean dirt and traffic film. Look up the pH level of your car wash soap. Many car soaps are pH neutral, since pH neutral soaps won't effect car waxes and sealants. But they also do not clean as effectively.

I suggest you buy a stronger product with a higher pH, such as Opitmum Power Clean:

You dilute Opitmum Power Clean at a ratio of 3:1 with water. Spray this solution on your lower panels, let it dwell for 3-4 minutes, then wash with a higher pH Soap such as Griots Garage Foaming Surface Prep:

Keep in mind that both Optimum Power Clean and Griots Garage Foaming Surface Prep, given their higher pH levels, will clean a lot more effectively (and hopefully remove the yellow film in your pics). But they will also strip any waxes or sealants. So after washing with these products, you will have to reapply waxes or sealants.

What kind of soap are you using to wash your car? The issue could be that you are using a soap that is not strong enough to clean dirt and traffic film. Look up the pH level of your car wash soap. Many car soaps are pH neutral, since pH neutral soaps won't effect car waxes and sealants. But they also do not clean as effectively.

I suggest you buy a stronger product with a higher pH, such as Opitmum Power Clean:

You dilute Opitmum Power Clean at a ratio of 3:1 with water. Spray this solution on your lower panels, let it dwell for 3-4 minutes, then wash with a higher pH Soap such as Griots Garage Foaming Surface Prep:

Keep in mind that both Optimum Power Clean and Griots Garage Foaming Surface Prep, given their higher pH levels, will clean a lot more effectively (and hopefully remove the yellow film in your pics). But they will also strip any waxes or sealants. So after washing with these products, you will have to reapply waxes or sealants.
I am using a cold degreasing agent together with alkaline degreaser, letting it sit for a few minutes and then on with the pressure washer. And onto the soap and ending with another rinse. I see that it takes really good on the other areas except for that lower part.

When I bought the car I got a preservation paint sealant on it that would help clean the car and according to the guys there this yellow tint is from an adhesive. It's usually not showing up so quickly but after a few years.

Here is a reddit thread with another guy where it looks almost the same when dirty:

Strange. It almost appears as though your side skirt has some type of cheap PPF film that was previously applied and has turned a yellow color. I’ve seen this type of yellowing on older, cheap PPFs.

I’m not saying that is what you have… just that the yellowing shown in your photos looks like what can happen to some types of PPF as it ages.

Last edited:
Strange. It almost appears as though your side skirt has some type of cheap PPF film that was previously applied and has turned a yellow color. I’ve seen this type of yellowing on older, cheap PPFs.

I’m not saying that is what you have… just that the yellowing shown in your photos looks like what can happen to some types of PPF as it ages.
Yeah feels horrible. I have created a service appointment so I’m going there in a few weeks to show it.

I think others have described the same thing in this thread:

It's clearly not PPF, but appears to be some sort of plastic covering.

• Informative
Reactions: byteme
I think others have described the same thing in this thread:

It's clearly not PPF, but appears to be some sort of plastic covering.
Interesting. If true, some type of coating that is applied to certain body panels prior to application of the factory paint. I didn’t think any modern day car manufacturer uses this somewhat antiquated process/technique any longer!!

Update: Just had a Tesla tech here and he said that this will be hard to get through. He took some more pictures and he is gonna escalate it but he thinks it will just get shut down. I also sent an update to my sales contact about this.

Bump. Still no reply from Tesla. I saw that I found one photo from when I picked up the car and you could see the difference. I have no clue on how to go forward with this..

I’ve seen multiple white model 3s and none of them have the same issue as I have with the discolouration..

Any suggestions or am I just overthinking this?

Attachments

• AFB8364A-1979-4FF7-B116-1C05F0B2CE7A.jpeg
    AFB8364A-1979-4FF7-B116-1C05F0B2CE7A.jpeg
    490.5 KB · Views: 247
Bump. Still no reply from Tesla. I saw that I found one photo from when I picked up the car and you could see the difference. I have no clue on how to go forward with this..

I’ve seen multiple white model 3s and none of them have the same issue as I have with the discolouration..

Any suggestions or am I just overthinking this?
Maybe this is a silly question, but can you peel off that layer of material? Looks like PPF, but it could also be a protective plastic that was supposed to be removed before delivery. I am leaning toward saying it must be protective plastic because even cheap PPF probably wouldn’t yellow so fast. There is clearly a line where the material starts.

Maybe this is a silly question, but can you peel off that layer of material? Looks like PPF, but it could also be a protective plastic that was supposed to be removed before delivery. I am leaning toward saying it must be protective plastic because even cheap PPF probably wouldn’t yellow so fast. There is clearly a line where the material starts.
I think they started doing this to protect the paint down there.

I am not touching that material, see this post: . 😱