Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pearl White Metallic Xpel Ultimate + Graphene Coat+ Xpel XR Plus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up my Pearl White Metallic Oct 2020 Model Y Performance from getting Xpel Ultimate PPF on full front plus four doors. The shop used raw rolls, hand trimmed and edges wrapped. The shop also did graphene coat on all painted surfaces.
0EB65B7C-216B-4464-80B2-5C2EE13DCC64.jpeg

0EB65B7C-216B-4464-80B2-5C2EE13DCC64.jpeg
B7F0FB68-9EA7-4876-B8FB-5732CD8682DD.jpeg

There are a couple small bubble in the PPF and a few edges that don’t appear well adhered. The shop recommended a QC follow in a couple weeks because the bubbles should go away and the wrinkles on the edges will tighten. I’m somewhat disappointed that one small chip on the hood was missed in paint correction. Also disappointed that the MY had so many chips at only 1500mi.

Currently in the process of getting Xpel Prime XR Plus 70 installed on the front windshield and two front windows. The PPF shop didn’t do tinting.

I also had Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4s installed (265/35 R21 + 275/35 R21) to replace the factory Pirelli P Zero 4 Elite.

Quesion: The PPF installed said that mechanical car washes can not be used for PPF, even the cloth variety, and will void the install warranty. Is this true?

Attachments

• 3BB1B5D0-DB58-448F-834D-4D0B70946A87.jpeg
    3BB1B5D0-DB58-448F-834D-4D0B70946A87.jpeg
    354.3 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Reactions: Kelr316
Update: The PPF bubbles have gone away. The few edges that aren’t clean will have to be cleaned up by the installer in a couple weeks. Fortunately, it’s related to trying to wrap over the edge or under trim, so I think they can trim it back finish with edge sealant.

The bad. The tint shop redid all their work on the Xpel Prime XR Plus. The waves went away on the windshield. Unfortunately, the windshield has larger trash trapped in the film, looks like an eyelash. The small debris on the driver side window is now in a different location.

How clean should tint be? What is acceptable? What is reasonable to ask to get redone?

FWIW, I’m going to Premier Mobile for tint on the other Model Y. From what I read here the quality workmanship is just worth it. I may just cut my loses and get this Model Y redone there. It’s a shame because the XR Plus seems like a solid film.

• Informative
Reactions: DennyL
Update: The PPF bubbles have gone away. The few edges that aren’t clean will have to be cleaned up by the installer in a couple weeks. Fortunately, it’s related to trying to wrap over the edge or under trim, so I think they can trim it back finish with edge sealant.

The bad. The tint shop redid all their work on the Xpel Prime XR Plus. The waves went away on the windshield. Unfortunately, the windshield has larger trash trapped in the film, looks like an eyelash. The small debris on the driver side window is now in a different location.

How clean should tint be? What is acceptable? What is reasonable to ask to get redone?

FWIW, I’m going to Premier Mobile for tint on the other Model Y. From what I read here the quality workmanship is just worth it. I may just cut my loses and get this Model Y redone there. It’s a shame because the XR Plus seems like a solid film.
Only you can determine what is acceptable. I would not accept any trash, debris or bubbles in my tint. It's not an unreasonable ask either. Tint properly installed should be free of foreign objects under the film. Same goes for paint protection film.

Quesion: The PPF installed said that mechanical car washes can not be used for PPF, even the cloth variety, and will void the install warranty. Is this true?

I had/have PPF on all five Teslas that I own and have run them through the car washes for years and they look as good as new when I sell them. Why would I pay so much for PPF to create more work for myself. NOT~

I have XPEL XR Plus as well. The rear had dirt I had them redo it. Reputable installers should not even hassle you at all if they did not do a perfect job if you want it redone.

Auto Armour - Album on Imgur