Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pearl White Multi Coat is new standard color!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1/2 of every car sold in China = some kind of white. Follow the money.
I’ve noticed white is very popular in Vancouver as well.
I paid extra for the pearl white after I heard blue was the most common in Calgary. I prefer a lighter shade of blue anyway.
I really like this blue:

DB2E23D4-4A4F-4FBD-BE26-554D00BA7D9C.jpeg

Last edited:
On my SR+ I can super-confidently say they are present and they work. I am pretty sure that is the case with all SR+ trims delivered up until very recently, I was just curious if this is just an adjustment due to the premium paint introduced as standard or is something that happened quietly in the background before that (which I highly doubt would've been done without an announcement). The software locked ones are on SR trims.
To be honest, I wish I had the option of the standard pearl white paint instead of fog lights when I bought the car, I like that colour. View attachment 430571

you guys were right, my bad!

I wonder if this ‘shift’ of which paint color is the ‘default/less cost’ is something to do with the paint booth setup at Fremont. I do remember that red paint Kent extra cleaning after a run in that color. Could they be trying to decrease paint color swaps by having one cheap color that rotates every few months?

I’ve noticed white is very popular in Vancouver as well.
I paid extra for the pearl white after I heard blue was the most common in Calgary. I prefer a lighter shade of blue anyway.
I really like this blue:

View attachment 430633

Hey I took that photo (silver 3 is mine) and put it on Plugshare. :D

The owner of the blue car posted on the Alberta Facebook group a while back. I had a quick chat with him. He has a wrapping business did the wrap himself; it will cost around 3-4 grands. All told I am very impressed with this colour and I may wrap mine in a few years.

Hey I took that photo (silver 3 is mine) and put it on Plugshare. :D

The owner of the blue car posted on the Alberta Facebook group a while back. I had a quick chat with him. He has a wrapping business did the wrap himself; it will cost around 3-4 grands. All told I am very impressed with this colour and I may wrap mine in a few years.
Cool. Do you know the name of his wrapping business?

You misread (and misrepresented) my post. I'm well aware of the early adopter thing. My words were it feels like 'a kick to the nuts', but at no point did I say I felt 'cheated'. It's more like saying, damn that sucks, but oh well that's how *sugar* goes.

I'm still confused how it makes financial sense for tesla to offer a Multi coat paint for free, but solid black at a premium. Multi coat white certainly costs more to produce. It just doesn't pass the smell test, but good for all those that now save 2600.

Let me re iterate, it's a great thing for those ordering now.

Also, let's be real, we are allowed to question the rationale about certain decisions and changes. I see it all too often on these forums that people take the 'how dare you complain' stance...from your comments I guess you also think someone who ordered ludicrous upgrade for 20k last week can't complain because it's now included for free? o_O

Like all things in life, things aren't black and white.

The leading theory and the one I personally think makes the most sense is that Tesla spends a lot more money on fixing paint defects on black cars prior/post delivery. White paint can hide these defects a lot more and the extra minimal amount it cost to use MCW in the paint booths is greatly offset by the reduction in paying bodyshops to fix issues later on.

The reason they didn't reintroduce a base white paint again is to minimize the amount of parts/skus that have to carry an extra paint variant.

Reactions: Muskol
They offer it for Multicoat Red though...

They do and should for MC White as well. I have ‘Tri-Coat White’ on our Escape (same process as MC White but a different shade). First touch up kit offered by Ford was 2 bottles, flat pearl white and clear coat. Now it’s just 1 bottle and a lot better match than the old 2 bottle (but still not a perfect match). Hopefully Tesla offers something similar.

They do and should for MC White as well. I have ‘Tri-Coat White’ on our Escape (same process as MC White but a different shade). First touch up kit offered by Ford was 2 bottles, flat pearl white and clear coat. Now it’s just 1 bottle and a lot better match than the old 2 bottle (but still not a perfect match). Hopefully Tesla offers something similar.

I reached out to support and got the following:

Thanks for contacting Tesla. The Paint Repair Kit in Pearl White (PPSW) is still in development and is a product we look forward to debuting. However, we do not have an ETA and cannot speculate on unreleased product.

If you have any immediate needs for paint repair for your Pearl White vehicle, please see the link below for Tesla recommended body shops that should be able to assist you.​

• Informative
Reactions: 03DSG and Tony_YYZ
Wow, hope its a mistake...I paid 2600 for pearl white last september, and kind of like that it isn't the most popular colour (though I still see a bunch of them). Having it 'free' now as well as thinking it being the most popular is a double kick to the nuts (along with all the other price reductions/inclusion of autopilot since last sept)....the joy of being an early adopter :confused:

From a non selfish side, it is a great colour. Realistically from a distance even standard white looks the same. Wonder how many people who rushed to order black would regret their purchase if they knew pearl white would have been 'free'....but I can't see how it makes sense for them to give a premium multi coat paint as standard. Their costs are higher for multi coat since its a more complicated paint. I'm still thinking its an error....
To whom it may concern at Tesla;

Your new Model 3 pricing structure but I thought I would start here. I purchased my Model 3 at the end of February 2019, reservation RN107729426. The purchase price for my 2019 Model 3 Standard Range Plus came to $43,000. The breakdown is as follows:

Model 3: $35,000

Standard Range Plus: $2,000

Black & White Interior: $1,000

Pearl White Paint: $2,000

Auto Pilot: $3,000

Total: $43,000

Now my understanding is that the price of the current Model 3 Standard Range Plus with the same color and options is $39,990. The current pricing indicates that the base price dropped around $1,000 and the Pearl White Paint is now included in the base price. What has basically happened is that you have devalued my Model by $3,010! You did this in the same model year as mine. How can you now include the $2,000 pearl white paint that I paid for only 5 months ago in the base price? Never have I heard before that the same model year vehicle will get this type of devalue, I spoke with the manager at a local Chevrolet dealership and they said that this is unheard of.

Again, you devalued my vehicle over $3,000 and more to the point, you did this in the same model year which does not differentiate my Model 3 that I paid $2,000 for the pearl white paint option to a Model 3 that is purchased today. If you were to have done this in the next model year this would be a moot point, because the added value with the extra cost on the pearl white paint would have stayed with the 2019 model year. Resale value would have accounted for a 2019 Model 3 has a $2,000 paint option on it.

I waited 2 years, yes 2 years for the model I wanted to become available. I’m not a rich man by any means and during that time I saved, and saved to be able to afford this car, the pearl white option car. The extra $2,000 for the paint was a stretch for me to make it happen but I was able to do it. The car has been in Tesla Service on 3 different occasions; paint scratches on delivery, a squeak in the front end and something with the electrical system. It has been by far the worst overall experience that I have ever had with a new car. Service had the car in total over a month and now with this $3,010 devaluation of it I can say with certainty that I would have never purchased this car and can say in my option that Tesla does not take care of it’s customers by pulling “stunts” like this with no regards to their customers that gave deposits, waited for 2 years and now are stuck with a car that lost $3,000 of its value. Really shame on Tesla.

My wife is on the Model Y reservation list but I can honestly say I think that money would be better spent on your competition that is coming in your rear view mirror. I think we will be asking for the deposit back.

There is so much you could have done to not have the Model 3 pearl white owners feel this way. You could offer up the $6,000 Full Self-Driving option for free just to tell us that you still valued our business, or at minimum offer it up for half price which would have brought the value of the car back to par. Instead, you did nothing.

In closing, my goal is to get some kind of response to know that I have been heard and to receive some kind of explanation that makes sense instead of sitting here wondering how in the world I could have fallen for a blatant bait and switch scam

I reached out to support and got the following:

Thanks for contacting Tesla. The Paint Repair Kit in Pearl White (PPSW) is still in development and is a product we look forward to debuting. However, we do not have an ETA and cannot speculate on unreleased product.

If you have any immediate needs for paint repair for your Pearl White vehicle, please see the link below for Tesla recommended body shops that should be able to assist you.​
Honestly, it is the worst paint I have ever seen in a modern car. The front of my car which only has 4k miles on it looks like it's 3 years old.