Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pearl White Multi-Coat Paint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SMAlset

Mar 4, 2017
SF Bay Area
Love my Pearl White Multi-Coat Model 3. Since not everyone has a nearby Store to visit and maybe not the opportunity to see this paint color in person otherwise, thought I’d try to show a close up of the paint. White is hard to photo but think the light is good in this shot. Definitely not a flat white, boring paint color. With pearl white being the current “no upcharge” color selection maybe this will help someone out deciding what paint color to order for their car.

26F7A3D5-79A8-4ABE-9135-3053FC20AA6C.jpeg

Lol looks like I have some bee poop to remove. Anyway this photo is with Xpel and ceramic pro on it and the iridescence still shines through nicely.

We chose Pearl White sight unseen just for temperature reasons here in hot Sacramento. I really wanted blue. But as shown welll above, it turns out to be gorgeous in bright light! The pearlescent sparkle is hard to describe.

As for the bumper color mismatch, they fixed that a long time ago, around VIN 20000, if I recall. Ours is 44xxx, and the bumpers match fine.

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
I’ve seen some Pearl white 3’s where the bumper color / finish doesn’t match the surrounding body. Is this a common issue because of different materials being used for the bumpers?

Pearl white on bumpers never looks right to me. The only color of any of the existing that fully matches from metal to plastic is the solid black (and of course, black has its own issues to deal with!).

While pearl white is the "free" color, currently, it's a PITA to match if you have a scrape on one panel. Expensive to fix, - almost always involves blending etc etc. Just bear in mind, because for some of you it's sort of a pay later or pay now scenario.

We chose Pearl White sight unseen just for temperature reasons here in hot Sacramento. I really wanted blue. But as shown welll above, it turns out to be gorgeous in bright light! The pearlescent sparkle is hard to describe.

As for the bumper color mismatch, they fixed that a long time ago, around VIN 20000, if I recall. Ours is 44xxx, and the bumpers match fine.
Exact same experience here. Hotter than hell, white is the most logical color. I had a hard time between red, white, and blue. Hopelessly patriotic? Ha.

My bumpers match perfectly to my eyes.

Op, great shot of the paint, I didn’t know what to expect when I bought the car, but really like the white paint.

Reactions: CharleyBC
All Tesla Model 3's have the same black/glass roof so does the body color really affect interior temperatures? Sure, the hood and trunk may be a source of some heat entering the cabin, but I thought the bulk of heat came from the car's roof.

Just wondering if anyone has any real world insight.

• Helpful
Reactions: TLLMRRJ and jebinc
Love my Pearl White Multicoat ... I would be curious what the underlying paint actually *is*... because it looks dang near identical in person to the "White Frost Tricoat" on our Buick Enclave, which was the same as the "White Diamond Tricoat" on my prior Cadillac.... (Same GM paint code.)

You can say we have a style. ;-)

IMG_2831.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
Love my Pearl White Multicoat ... I would be curious what the underlying paint actually *is*... because it looks dang near identical in person to the "White Frost Tricoat" on our Buick Enclave, which was the same as the "White Diamond Tricoat" on my prior Cadillac.... (Same GM paint code.)

You can say we have a style. ;-)

View attachment 438847

And "Crystal White Pearl" on a Subaru! ;)

All Tesla Model 3's have the same black/glass roof so does the body color really affect interior temperatures? Sure, the hood and trunk may be a source of some heat entering the cabin, but I thought the bulk of heat came from the car's roof.
Yeah, I think that's a very valid point. As I said above, we chose white for heat reasons. But as you said, the passenger compartment is more about glass than body color. Really only the doors directly apply.

We need a bunch of Tesla friends with different colors to all park simultaneously in the same lot on a hot day, free of any shadows. Turn off overheat protection, and sit back and watch. The app gives interior temp, so it's easy.

I’ve seen some Pearl white 3’s where the bumper color / finish doesn’t match the surrounding body. Is this a common issue because of different materials being used for the bumpers?
Yes. Pearl whites will not be 100% exact color match when applied to metal vs. plastic/urethane. Even with a high-quality paint job the color will still be slightly off.

• Informative
Reactions: UnicornDriver
My pearl white with 185K VIN has a slight mis-match between the front bumper cover and the body. I don't notice it unless looking for it. The rear bumper cover is a near perfect match.

What I do notice is how well the white hides dirt. It still looks clean to me, even when I know it's dirty and can turn my finger black by brushing it over the paint. It's also excellent at hiding scratches/swirls. I cannot see any even under a bright light. I still use microfiber, etc, but I don't have to be especially careful when hand washing like I would with a dark color.

I agree with the above comment that it will probably be more difficult to use touch up paint on the pearl. White is also less forgiving towards things like panel gaps, especially the hood line. I had to make a small adjustment to my hood latch so that gap was even.

Last edited:
Does PPF accentuate, minimize, or have no effect on the potential bumper to body paint color variation?

Great question, PPF is essentially a thick glossy urethane so it can add a visual depth to paint, it should not negate any pearl/flake in paint. If there is an existing bumper to body paint variation I would expect PPF to have no effect - if it is visually apparent now it likely will be post PPF as well. Does that help?