Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pearl White Multi-Coat Paint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to revive this one - I'm usually loyal to gray, and love Midnight Silver, which is what my Model 3 is coated with, but Pearl White has really started to grow on me in several areas - really liking the light green/purple/pink pearl that comes through with the sun. Attached a picture of the mirror cap of the Model S loaner I recently had in the afternoon (golden hour) sun.

@Jefsla - not sure if you've lowered yet, you'll be fine though. I lowered in Eibach Pro-Kit (1.2" on all corners) and have no daily driving issues.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200321-084114.png
    Screenshot_20200321-084114.png
    2 MB · Views: 336
Reactions: CharleyBC
I’ve seen some Pearl white 3’s where the bumper color / finish doesn’t match the surrounding body. Is this a common issue because of different materials being used for the bumpers?

Common - with all makes - but not universal. Mine match well. I owned and managed a Body Shop for awhile. Actually, we had an easier time of matching the rest of the body than the OEM's. Especially if adjacent panels were also being refinished. But then, we had the advantage of painting from the same batch, and blending. If we had to paint a fascia off the car it was more challenging. The bigger problem with after market painting of fascias was the problem of cracking on a later impact. I always cautioned customers not to break the factory finish on a flexible panel if they could avoid it. Better a little color flop than paint peeling from a parking lot ding. Flex agents, and paint technology in general, improved a lot during my time - and certainly since then, but I am still leery of breaking the OEM finish if you don't have to.

It seems there is a problem with the pearl white paint either becoming discolored or the paint being a different shade between the bumper and the metal areas.
Is this common in Tesla vehicles?
Is this common in other luxury vehicles?
Does Tesla fix this soft of problem if it happens before the warranty runs out?

I went with white on the MSLR coming this fall. We live in FL so hot sun is an issue but both of our MYP are blue. Paint chips have white underneath so they really show up. Hoping the white might be a bit more durable with chips blending in. Don’t really care, just want my model s to show up.

Paint chips have white underneath so they really show up. Hoping the white might be a bit more durable with chips blending in.
Interesting. We have a 4-year-old Model 3 pearl white. We've picked up quite a few paint chips, mainly on the front bumper, from trucks tossing gravel at us. And under the paint is black plastic, so the chips really show up against the white. I've often wished we'd gotten blue or midnight silver so the chips would have lower contrast.

But the big blunt front end of this car accumulates bug splats like no other car I've owned, and the bug splats sort of provide camouflage for the paint chips. :)