Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pearl white paint failure?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2021 MY is exhibiting wholesale paint failure on the bottom half of the car, all the way around. It looks as if it has a bad case of orange measles. Anybody else experiencing a similar problem? I first noticed it last spring when it was less than a year old. As it was only a few spots, I thought maybe I had driven over some fresh road striping. This year it is apparent that something else is happening.

The car is garaged, washed regularly, and spends most of its winters in Florida, so it isn't northern Ohio winter roads. Less than 11,000miles.
PXL_20230208_190323729.jpg

Looks like spots my white car had..... iron remover/clay bar didn't do anything.

Looks like spots my white car had..... iron remover/clay bar didn't do anything.

That thread was an interesting read, especially what you went through. I suggest the OP give it a read too, since it looks like the same type spots. TL ; DR, you were able to deal with this by a several step detail process. I would have paid someone ( a good detailer) to do it for me, since I dont have that much patience, but thats where the OP should start vs trying to get Tesla to cover repainting or something.

Reactions: fiehlsport
Our Hyundai has these, though I haven't tried iron remover. They seem to be on the surface.

This area of your car is blasted by road debris, it looks like you don't have front mud guards installed. I don't know how deep the blasting is, but it doesn't look like you're getting down to bare metal, which would cause actual rusting.

Try an iron remover spray (detailing section at an auto parts store) and go from there. If it goes away, it's not a paint failure.

Aluminum skin on doors, cannot rust.

I agree, it could be imbedded iron particles, maybe from the original transit to the point of sale.

Have you ever had the car detailed? Used a clay bar? Hopefully this will eliminate your problem.

Reactions: enemji
I would get a good detail. If that corrects the problem, I would get mud flaps and PPF. I did a full frontal PPF and they also did the bottoms of the doors. That area gets peppered with road debris which will eventually cause damage to the paint.

Reactions: Pianewman