Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pearl White Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all and Merry Christmas

Quick question and hopefully a little bit assistance from you all.

My white M3P has been in a few times now to get the paint issues sorted (shadows showing through the paint), been into body shop twice and came back with yet more paint defects but apparently now it’s done.

I noticed that the exterior of the car is now a totally different shade of white to the interior on the wheel arches at the rear (see attached photos). You can actually see the line where the exterior paint colour meets the interior colour.

Just got to ask if anyone else’s white M3 is like this? Are the guys at the service centre telling me the truth?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 21223F08-06F7-44AC-B021-ECF4B6C448E9.jpeg
    21223F08-06F7-44AC-B021-ECF4B6C448E9.jpeg
    122.3 KB · Views: 126
  • 7B872EDF-70CF-40A1-AC4D-C99AF62D38BA.jpeg
    7B872EDF-70CF-40A1-AC4D-C99AF62D38BA.jpeg
    197 KB · Views: 76
  • BCB288EE-93E1-458D-B093-D7DF20A4EBE3.jpeg
    BCB288EE-93E1-458D-B093-D7DF20A4EBE3.jpeg
    190.2 KB · Views: 90
Hi all and Merry Christmas

Quick question and hopefully a little bit assistance from you all.

My white M3P has been in a few times now to get the paint issues sorted (shadows showing through the paint), been into body shop twice and came back with yet more paint defects but apparently now it’s done.

I noticed that the exterior of the car is now a totally different shade of white to the interior on the wheel arches at the rear (see attached photos). You can actually see the line where the exterior paint colour meets the interior colour.

Just got to ask if anyone else’s white M3 is like this? Are the guys at the service centre telling me the truth?

Thanks.
I’ll go take pics of mine later. Got mine in September. Hasn’t been touched by a paint shop

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
My rear bumper sometimes looks a slightly different shade to the rest of the bodywork. Tesla told me it was normal, I checked with a paint shop and was told depending on the angle/type/hue/brightness of the light surfaces can look different, especially something like painted plastic compared to painted metal. Not sure how true that is, there was nothing it it for them to make something up, but maybe that has somethign to do with it? That said it doesn't look as bad as the pictures posted but maybe thats the photograph. I'm not overly happy about it, I don't seem to have ever had the problem before although I recall a neighbour moaning about his painted sills on his car some years ago which was probably the same thing.

Thanks all

Yeh I already know about the spoiler colour difference, it’s expected to change shade over time due to being plastic, something like that.

My issue is metal. When I open the rear passenger door, the difference is colour between the exterior paint and original interior paint is highly noticeable. They’re trying to tell me this is expected. I can’t see how it is.

UV light exposure does change paint colours. Whilst you say it’s been recently sprayed in a body shop, they will try to match the colour with the rest of the ‘now faded’ panels, not the original white. The door shuts don’t get UV exposure so will be closer to original colour. That plus angled surfaces look different.

Someone mentioned bumpers…..bumpers (and other plastic parts, eg wing mirror shells) are painted off line by the bumper manufacturer using a different paint type (often even a different paint brand) to the assembly plant. The bumpers get introduced for the first time to already painted body shells during the assembly process. Different paint types because the bumper is not capable of withstanding the ‘bake’ process that the body shell paint goes through to cure it. Bearing in mind the bumpers could even be painted in a different part of the world, some colour discrepancy is unavoidable. They have a tolerance on match.

My rear bumper sometimes looks a slightly different shade to the rest of the bodywork. Tesla told me it was normal, I checked with a paint shop and was told depending on the angle/type/hue/brightness of the light surfaces can look different, especially something like painted plastic compared to painted metal. Not sure how true that is, there was nothing it it for them to make something up, but maybe that has somethign to do with it? That said it doesn't look as bad as the pictures posted but maybe thats the photograph. I'm not overly happy about it, I don't seem to have ever had the problem before although I recall a neighbour moaning about his painted sills on his car some years ago which was probably the same thing.
The plastic bumpers are definitely a more ‘pearl’ white than the brighter white of the metal panels on my August built ‘21 MY.

D90C59D3-F453-4223-9B06-72FD3986EAAC.jpeg