Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pearl White Skull Cap Replacement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FC5B40C2-5BCF-4F68-9F3B-563E53E76BE9.jpeg
578E0535-0533-4341-88E4-65380D7C4F5D.jpeg
I clearly have no luck with cars. Pulled in to my apartment parking spot (I have a car port type spot, so there is two poles to my right) awkwardly and went to straighten out. Didn’t realize how close I was to the pole and bent my passenger side mirror backwards. The silver piece fell off, and I was able to pop it back on slightly. All of the mechanisms work fine, it’s just a cosmetic thing.

Wondering if anyone recently had the skull cap replaced and was painted? I’ve looked it up, and the forums posts on it are just outdated a bit. I assume things have changed since 2017/2018. I have the mobile service coming out this Saturday. I’ve seen posts about them not coming painted, but then have also seen posts saying they would paint it, just extra money. Thanks!!

WTF, it's a small piece of painted plastic. It just snaps off and snaps back on...

It's been the better part of 160 years since labor costs were 0 in the US, in case you missed that memo.

$300 is not just for the part, but labor cost for someone to come to 1Willie, and install the part, and then go to wherever he's going next. Also the people and system to organize and coordinate that work. Plus the overhead costs on top of that. Plus a profit margin, because Tesla isn't a charity.

• Funny
Reactions: Reborn
It's been the better part of 160 years since labor costs were 0 in the US, in case you missed that memo.

$300 is not just for the part, but labor cost for someone to come to 1Willie, and install the part, and then go to wherever he's going next. Also the people and system to organize and coordinate that work. Plus the overhead costs on top of that. Plus a profit margin, because Tesla isn't a charity.

I need to get a job installing skull caps evidently.

I don't really care that people are willing to pay 300 bucks to snap a couple dollar piece of plastic off and on their car. I care more that they don't sell you the part so you can do it yourself? Or will they do that now?

I need to get a job installing skull caps evidently.

Check the local synagogue for job openings? ;)

joking aside though, most of that goes to the business. The tech probably makes 25-30 per hour at best.

I don't really care that people are willing to pay 300 bucks to snap a couple dollar piece of plastic off and on their car. I care more that they don't sell you the part so you can do it yourself? Or will they do that now?

The electronic parts catalog will tell you the answer to that I believe.

• Funny
Reactions: super20g
I have same exact damage. What did you end up doing?

Just got a quote from Tesla food $721 to replace.

Unfortunately, I just went with the entire replacement by Tesla. My invoice was only around $515 though. Mobile came out and replaced it in not even ten minutes.

But also, I did not get the skull cap replaced. They come unpainted and would have been more money to paint too. The mobile guy glued it up for me so it wasn’t as visible, and I got carbon fiber skull caps that went over them anyway! So that might be why my invoice was less than yours.