Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pearl White Standard Paint?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my car a little over 2 weeks ago, I paid $62,400
(before delivery and doc fee) and my same spec car is now $54,990...

So I woke up this morning with $6,410 more depreciation than I had when I went to sleep.
It sucks, it is over 10% less than I paid for my brand new car with less than 500 miles on it. FML
All they are doing is training people to wait for the next price drop.
Model Y pricing should be interesting over first couple years.
Based on these drops I overpaid for my dual motor LR by about $7,500.
I have a 4WD LR White 19" EAP-FSD and after 9 months for the same config the price change is -$3,385

Here is the purchase price comparison between last October
when there was still the $7,500 Federal tax credit, and today $1,875 Federal tax credit.

I had to pay $2,000 for the Pearl White Multi-Coat.
I payed $5,000 for Autopilot and later paid $2,000 for FSD, so a total of $7,000 compared to $6,000 today.

2018/10/19 2019/07/15

$54,000 ....... $47,990 ....... Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive - Premium Interior - Long Range
$ 2,000 ........ Included ....... Pearl White Multi-Coat
Included ....... Included ...... All Black Premium Interior
$ 1,500 ......... $ 1,500 ....... 19’’ Sport Wheels
$ 5,000 ......... Included ...... Autopilot
$ 2,000 ......... $ 6,000 ....... Full Self-Driving Capability (Special Incentive price)

$64,500 ........ $55,490 ....... Purchase Price - Excluding taxes and fees

- $ 7,500 ... - $ 1,875 ....... Federal tax credit
- $ 2,500 ... - $ 2,500 ....... California EV rebate
[ 10,000] .... [ 4,375]

$54,500 ....... $51,115
...................... - $ 3,385 Final Price Change Same Config between July 2019 and October 2018

• Informative
Reactions: reheat
I have a 4WD LR White 19" EAP-FSD and after 9 months for the same config the price change is -$3,385

Here is the purchase price comparison between last October
when there was still the $7,500 Federal tax credit, and today $1,875 Federal tax credit.

I had to pay $2,000 for the Pearl White Multi-Coat.
I payed $5,000 for Autopilot and later paid $2,000 for FSD, so a total of $7,000 compared to $6,000 today.

2018/10/19 2019/07/15

$54,000 ....... $47,990 ....... Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive - Premium Interior - Long Range
$ 2,000 ........ Included ....... Pearl White Multi-Coat
Included ....... Included ...... All Black Premium Interior
$ 1,500 ......... $ 1,500 ....... 19’’ Sport Wheels
$ 5,000 ......... Included ...... Autopilot
$ 2,000 ......... $ 6,000 ....... Full Self-Driving Capability (Special Incentive price)

[ 10,000] .... [ 4,375]

$54,500 ....... $51,115
...................... - $ 3,385 Final Price Change Same Config between July 2019 and October 2018

I paid $61,000 for a blue paint dual motor, white interior, EAP Model 3 in September 2018.

$61,000
-$5,000 Colorado tax credit.
-7,500 Federal tax credit.
== $48,500.

Today, white interior, white exterior paint (would get that if it was no charge option) and included autopilot (I would not spring for FSD) is $48,000.

$48,000
==$43,000.

So yeah I was off a little bit, I overpaid by $5500.

If you wait, things will get cheaper.
If you wait, things will improve as they are cost reduced.

If prices go up, pat Yourself On The Back for being So smart.
If prices go down, curse the day Elon was born.

First adopters always get the shaft because Better is just around the corner.

I got the best deal I could on the day I bought it.
I was Happy with it on delivery.
New drivers getting the car of their dreams isn’t going to change that for me.

While people wait for some future fire sale I’ve taken many road trips that I wouldn’t trade for the world.

$54,500 ..... $51,115
................. - $ 3,385 Final Price Change Same Config between July 2019 and October 2018
I don't know if you still qualify as lower-income applicant for the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project (CVRP)
If not, you would only get the $1,875 Federal tax credit
- $ 7,500 ..... - $ 1,875 ....... Federal tax credit
- $ 2,500 ................. ....... California EV rebate
$54,500 ..... $53,615
................... - $ 885 Final Price Change Same Config between July 2019 and October 2018

People are upset about this. I say welcome to the club. I've gotten hit on 3 price drops on the Performance Model and also one price drop with FSD. Tesla has basically harvested my tax credits and treated it as their own. I am down around 4-6K compared to a similar car I can buy new today even after including all the tax incentives.

You learn not to get too upset after it happens the second time. But I will be very very careful on my next Tesla purchase. I will make sure to lease, not buy outright.That way, any extra depreciation from large price moves is on Tesla.

Actually right now, the P3D White/White with basic Autopilot is a steal if you're leasing.

$3500 down
$612/month
30K miles over 3 years.

People are upset about this. I say welcome to the club. I've gotten hit on 3 price drops on the Performance Model and also one price drop with FSD. Tesla has basically harvested my tax credits and treated it as their own. I am down around 4-6K compared to a similar car I can buy new today even after including all the tax incentives.

You learn not to get too upset after it happens the second time. But I will be very very careful on my next Tesla purchase. I will make sure to lease, not buy outright.That way, any extra depreciation from large price moves is on Tesla.

Actually right now, the P3D White/White with basic Autopilot is a steal if you're leasing.

$3500 down
$612/month
30K miles over 3 years.

Lease still doesn't seem like a good option since you can't buy it at the end. I agree that if you could buy it at the end of the lease then it would be a GREAT method to insulate yourself from the first few years worth of price drops. Either Tesla cuts you a deal at lease return because the value has been cut by them, or you hand the car in. However, right now you're spending $19,300 for a SR+ with no options added. You're paying 48% of the car in 3 years with absolutely zero chance of owning it...

I paid $61,000 for a blue paint dual motor, white interior, EAP Model 3 in September 2018.

$61,000
-7,500 Federal tax credit.
== $48,500.

Today, white interior, white exterior paint (would get that if it was no charge option) and included autopilot (I would not spring for FSD) is $48,000.

$48,000
==$43,000.

So yeah I was off a little bit, I overpaid by $5500.
10 months ago! Get over it.

FWIW my exact config is $8000 less today than when I bought Q3/18. Of course I got a $5625 larger tax credit than a buyer today will, and I've saved roughly $2000 in gas over the time I've had it...and I don't have to pay another $300 to add homelink after the fact... and I got the $14 phone cables and the $35 14-50 adapter all of which I use daily....so net cost for getting to drive an excellent car for about 10 months compared to "waiting" for it be cheaper turns out to be... $26.

Oh, wait, I also paid $200 less destination charge.... so I suppose I'm actually $174 ahead versus having waited...

Oh, wait, again.... I also got lifetime free premium connectivity- which means if they ever actually get around to charging new buyers for that I come out even further ahead...

Just some perspective before the flood of "early model 3 buyers got screwed" posts that usually follow these price cuts.

(for some more perspective on that talk to a P100D(L) buyer who paid 132k earlier this year and you can now get the upgraded motor and suspension version of the same car under 100k)

What happens to those of us who didn’t get almost any of that? Also, if you bought Q3 2018 I don’t think you got lifetime connectivity?

If you wait, things will get cheaper.
If you wait, things will improve as they are cost reduced.

If prices go up, pat Yourself On The Back for being So smart.
If prices go down, curse the day Elon was born.

First adopters always get the shaft because Better is just around the corner.

I got the best deal I could on the day I bought it.
I was Happy with it on delivery.
New drivers getting the car of their dreams isn’t going to change that for me.

While people wait for some future fire sale I’ve taken many road trips that I wouldn’t trade for the world.
Standing ovation

Lease still doesn't seem like a good option since you can't buy it at the end. I agree that if you could buy it at the end of the lease then it would be a GREAT method to insulate yourself from the first few years worth of price drops. Either Tesla cuts you a deal at lease return because the value has been cut by them, or you hand the car in. However, right now you're spending $19,300 for a SR+ with no options added. You're paying 48% of the car in 3 years with absolutely zero chance of owning it...

For SR+, you have a point. However, for more expensive cars, you pretty much expect them to depreciate 50% in the first 3 years. Right now, you're paying $25,550 for P3D White/White with basic autopilot. That's just about right for the depreciation curve.

Reactions: Watts_Up
California EV Rebate is available for lower income individuals. Tesla should take that rebate off for now.

BTW, there is another rebate for LA Riverside Counties that can give you up to 9k depending on what you get. I think for Tesla its $2500-3500

Reactions: Watts_Up
$3500 down
$612/month
30K miles over 3 years.

Lease still doesn't seem like a good option since you can't buy it at the end.
I agree that if you could buy it at the end of the lease then it would be a GREAT method to insulate yourself
from the first few years worth of price drops.
Either Tesla cuts you a deal at lease return because the value has been cut by them, or you hand the car in.
However, right now you're spending $19,300 for a SR+ with no options added.
You're paying 48% of the car in 3 years with absolutely zero chance of owning it...
I would recommend buying or getting a loan instead of leasing, so you can own and keep as long as you would like,
however leasing seems popular for some situations, such as:
- You might be able to deduct the lease from your taxes.
- Shorter commitment duration and lesser monthly cost compare to a loan, since you paid only for the depreciation.
- Reduce obsolescence risk, especially if some new technologies are emerging, such as solid state batteries.
- Mostly, a good bridge until the Model Y becomes available, especially if you are waiting for a SR+ Model Y..

I paid 75k, and the same car now with upgraded brakes, wheels and shocks, is $62k. Or 57k for my config if purchased today if those added options are still valued at $5k. I win biggest loser! I win I tell you!

Then again I did get back 15k in incentives and refunds :p, but I guess tesla really got to profit on those right?

I have almost paid down the price difference in principal by now, but it's still depreciating (by price cuts alone) faster than I can pay it off. Not to mention actual depreciation, guess I'm kind of in the hole big time now.

Hey Elon, when is this going to become an appreciating asset? Yea right lmao.

Reactions: Leafdriver333
I paid 75k, and the same car now with upgraded brakes, wheels and shocks, is $62k. Or 57k for my config if purchased today if those added options are still valued at $5k. I win biggest loser! I win I tell you!

Then again I did get back 15k in incentives and refunds :p, but I guess tesla really got to profit on those right?

I have almost paid down the price difference in principal by now, but it's still depreciating (by price cuts alone) faster than I can pay it off. Not to mention actual depreciation, guess I'm kind of in the hole big time now.

You aren't factoring in the free autopilot they give everyone. I did the math and to sum it up, if you normalize the autopilot cost and take into account tax credit/refund/rebate differences (current owner gets 1850 while you got 15K), you would have paid 4K more for your car and that's still not factoring in the brakes, wheels, tires, spoiler. Now if you value the + upgrades at 5K, then you would have paid 9K more for your car vs someone who is buying today.

But hey, as elon said, if you are against change, you will be left behind! Don't mind that Tesla basically harvested all your tax credits and rebates and also lowered your resale value by 20K. Think of if as your car appreciating by -20k! It's for the cause/mission! :D

Reactions: Glamisduner

Appreciating asset? Maybe the Tesla stocks if you bought in at approx $175, not sure about tesla car. On a side note, he declares that FSD will raise by $1000 next month. Anyone will buckle for that also?

What happens to those of us who didn’t get almost any of that?

As I said, someone who took delivery of a P in the first week of July has a pretty genuine gripe (though at least 1 guy mentioned when he complained to tesla he was told they would address it, dunno if they really will) ... and certainly a P100D/L owner who bought then has a super genuine gripe.

Just saying in most cases though the price cuts were pretty in line with the tax credit changes, and between that and older purchases getting more things that are now optional/not offered, the majority of 3 owners haven't taken the bath on price cuts the minority who genuinely have experienced once you run the #s.

Also, if you bought Q3 2018 I don’t think you got lifetime connectivity?

Apologies for my poor word choice- I took delivery Q3/18, but placed the order near end of Q2, so I did get lifetime premium connectivity as that was based on order date, not delivery date.