Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pearl White tow hook cover chip, what would you do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm going back and forth on this and not sure what to do. I have a chip on the tow hook cover. About the size of the head of a toothpick I guess. A new one from the Stealer is 62 dollars painted. A new one from ebay is about 35 dollars, supposedly OEM, but in the older style although checking the bumper it appears either style can work fine. Would you replace (I'm leaning towards the older style one as 20 plus dollars is 20 plus dollars, plus the dealer is painting these things anyway, so no guarantee it matches any better than another one. ) or just touchup the chip?

If touching up, any recommendations for something that is easy on pearl white? I feel like I'll just mess up the multiple coats paint and leaning more towards the dr colorchip if I did this route, I have a few other chips around the car, very minor, don't really need to touch them up, but the black showing through on the tow hook cover is ugly.

I wouldn't do anything if the chip is the size of a toothpick.
If you want to touch it up, I'd use the Tesla paint repair kit or buy directly from Dr. ColorChip who makes the kit for Tesla. The YouTube Channel "Dirty Tesla" touched up his car, using both kits, so you can see the procedure and how well it worked.
Probably the most cost-effective (and easiest) way to fix it is to use the Ebay replacement, so if I was going to do anything, I'd go that route.

If something this small is bothering you, you really should get your car (or at least the more vulnerable sections) PPFed asap.
Has PPF, I actually hate it, it looks terrible compared to the actual paint, but apparently, whoever PPFed the car, didn't PPF the towhook cover. Maybe it was replaced after, not sure, I got the car after 7 months.

Oh man. Yeah I've heard some recent bad stories about subpar ppf. If you decide on a new cover, maybe wrap it yourself. A section that small and basic shouldn't be too tough. I do understand that the pearl white paint is notoriously difficult to match though so be cautious

You can’t protect this paint without coating it and PPF.
Yes, I suppose maybe I should lean towards just touching it up I don't know, the PPF is horrible. For the cost (thankfully I didn't pay it) I debate on whether it would just be better to respray part of the car when it gets bad. It does save the bumper from getting chipped for sure, just looks bad doing it.

The OP sort of sounds like me (someone who would be bothered by seeing a paint chip the size of a toothpick head).
Not sure how much those Dr Colorchip kits cost, but that is probably the route I would try first, because I think there may be more of risk for seeing a slight color mismatch if you get a new pre-painted replacement cover.

Reactions: rpiotro
The OP sort of sounds like me (someone who would be bothered by seeing a paint chip the size of a toothpick head).
Not sure how much those Dr Colorchip kits cost, but that is probably the route I would try first, because I think there may be more of risk for seeing a slight color mismatch if you get a new pre-painted replacement cover.
It might be a bit bigger than that, Its down to the black and it sticks out, there are chips on other parts of the car that don't stick out like this.

Had a scratch in rear doorwell due to dragging something out and scratching the paint off.
Bought Rust-Oleum white gloss protective enamel. Sprayed in some tin foil and used a small paint brush to apply. Can’t tell it was done unless you look up very close, same with the touch up paint you want to buy.
For a scratch the size of a toothpick head, this works great and saves lots of money.