TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Pearl White vs. White

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by ToddRLockwood, Jun 30, 2014.

1. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

This weekend I visited the Tesla store in Natick MA. While parked near their demo vehicles, which both happened to be white, the difference between my Pearl White Model S (in the foreground) and White was quite obvious. Given the limitations of jpeg images, the effect is a bit more subtle here, but you still may be able to notice that my pearl white car has a deeper, warmer tone. The difference is also quite apparent when you compare the large wall-mounted color samples in any Tesla store. I'm glad that I opted for this paint upgrade. It looks spectacular in direct sunlight.

PearlVSWhite.jpg

2. liuping

liuping Active Member

The pearl definitely has much more depth in person. Pictures just do not capture it, though your's is about the best I've seen showing the difference.

I highly recommend anyone trying to choose between them should see them in person, outside in good lighting. Tesla Service centers or Local Tesla Club Meetings are a great way to do that.

3. swegman

swegman Member

Color choice is personal preference. Personally, I prefer the brightness of the regular white.

4. liuping

liuping Active Member

I agree color choice is very personal. That's why I always recommend checking the color in person, in the real world. Not just on the wall in the Tesla Store and especially not just on the web page (it's way off).

5. caddieo

caddieo Member

#5 caddieo, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
    Agree that the choice is personal - and for me, I prefer the depth and glow of the pearl rather than the starkness of the white. Maybe this picture may help illustrate what I'm talking about.

Bulow 3.jpg

• Like x 1
  6. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Love the Pearl white. Probably my favorite color they offer currently.

7. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

+ 1

8. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

Awesome photo. You got the GLOW. Very Nice.

9. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Pearl white ... is full on classy!

10. gnychis

gnychis Member

it's all preference :) I prefer standard white vs. the pearl white.

11. DrDave

DrDave Member

And when it boils down to it, the pearl is the standard white with a layer of pearl (mica) coat over the top. Elegantly simple.

12. commasign

commasign Active Member

I have the solid white, but did full body OptiCoat + Xpel + OptiCoat which seems to give it a nice gloss and texture beyond just "white paint". No regrets not getting the Pearl White.

13. Mr X

Mr X Future Owner

Should have got the black roof, looks like your car is missing something.

14. hcrk

hcrk Member

Love the pictures - very much looking forward to my pearl white!

P85+ | Pearl White | Black Performance Leather | 21" Silver Turbines | Pano | Tech Pkg | Premium Lighting | Parking Sensors | Piano Black | Fog Lamps| Sub Zero | Alcantara Headliner & Upper DT | UHFS | Smart Air | Dual Chargers | Parcel Shelf | CF Spoiler | RB Calipers | Delivery - late July |

15. William13

William13 Member

I took the samples outside the store to see them in natural light.

16. commasign

commasign Active Member

Resurrecting an old thread. Rarely does one get to do a do-over on a $100k+ car. So I sold my 2013 P85 solid white and got a 2014 P85D pearl white. Love the pearl white and have no regrets for spending the extra $1500. From a distance, it looks the same, but up close, it's much nicer. Best analogy I can think of is that the solid white is Ikea-like bland. Very clean, but very boring. Pearl white looks like "premium". Hope that helps those on the fence!

• Helpful x 1
  17. drsaab

drsaab Member

#17 drsaab, Dec 19, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
    I got Pearl white too and looks great. Especially at sunset etc. The white has a huge advantage in that scratches/rock chips are easier to match in touch up paint. If you get PW then I would recommend Xpel. I found that out the hard way 2 weeks into ownership.

• Helpful x 1
  18. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Definitely pearl white if possible. Looks amazing. Especially with dark CF accents and grey wheels.

19. alohates1a

alohates1a Member

They both look stunning to me but +1 to personal preference as some will prefer the "depth", "glow", "class" of the solid white.

20. Han Chen

Han Chen Member

Do you find the Xpel dulls the depth of the world pearl white? I'm also concerned of the Xpel yellowing over time. I have a full Xpel wrap on the front of my old white Benz and it yellowed noticeably over the last 3-4 years. On our black Lexus, the front wrap is completely invisible. To be fair, I really don't take care of the Xpel. Just regular drive thru touchless car washes every once in a while.