Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pearl White vs. White

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This weekend I visited the Tesla store in Natick MA. While parked near their demo vehicles, which both happened to be white, the difference between my Pearl White Model S (in the foreground) and White was quite obvious. Given the limitations of jpeg images, the effect is a bit more subtle here, but you still may be able to notice that my pearl white car has a deeper, warmer tone. The difference is also quite apparent when you compare the large wall-mounted color samples in any Tesla store. I'm glad that I opted for this paint upgrade. It looks spectacular in direct sunlight.

PearlVSWhite.jpg

This weekend I visited the Tesla store in Natick MA. While parked near their demo vehicles, which both happened to be white, the difference between my Pearl White Model S (in the foreground) and White was quite obvious. Given the limitations of jpeg images, the effect is a bit more subtle here, but you still may be able to notice that my pearl white car has a deeper, warmer tone. The difference is also quite apparent when you compare the large wall-mounted color samples in any Tesla store. I'm glad that I opted for this paint upgrade. It looks spectacular in direct sunlight.

The pearl definitely has much more depth in person. Pictures just do not capture it, though your's is about the best I've seen showing the difference.

I highly recommend anyone trying to choose between them should see them in person, outside in good lighting. Tesla Service centers or Local Tesla Club Meetings are a great way to do that.

Love the pictures - very much looking forward to my pearl white!

P85+ | Pearl White | Black Performance Leather | 21" Silver Turbines | Pano | Tech Pkg | Premium Lighting | Parking Sensors | Piano Black | Fog Lamps| Sub Zero | Alcantara Headliner & Upper DT | UHFS | Smart Air | Dual Chargers | Parcel Shelf | CF Spoiler | RB Calipers | Delivery - late July |

Resurrecting an old thread. Rarely does one get to do a do-over on a $100k+ car. So I sold my 2013 P85 solid white and got a 2014 P85D pearl white. Love the pearl white and have no regrets for spending the extra $1500. From a distance, it looks the same, but up close, it's much nicer. Best analogy I can think of is that the solid white is Ikea-like bland. Very clean, but very boring. Pearl white looks like "premium". Hope that helps those on the fence!

• Helpful
Reactions: SΞXY P100D
I got Pearl white too and looks great. Especially at sunset etc. The white has a huge advantage in that scratches/rock chips are easier to match in touch up paint. If you get PW then I would recommend Xpel. I found that out the hard way 2 weeks into ownership.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: SΞXY P100D
Do you find the Xpel dulls the depth of the world pearl white? I'm also concerned of the Xpel yellowing over time. I have a full Xpel wrap on the front of my old white Benz and it yellowed noticeably over the last 3-4 years. On our black Lexus, the front wrap is completely invisible. To be fair, I really don't take care of the Xpel. Just regular drive thru touchless car washes every once in a while.