Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pecking order for new Tesla's....Need clarification/advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently have a used Model S that I got about a year ago. My wife and I love the car! So much so that we decided to get her a Model Y. So about a month ago I ordered one. I used all her information when I ordered it (which is different than how my car is registered).

Then last week I came across a thread that talked about how Tesla fills orders. That thread claimed that Tesla gives preference to current Tesla owners. Is there any truth to that? Even for someone that purchased a used one from Tesla? If so, does it make sense for me to contact Tesla to make sure they understand my wife's order is from the same household?

The reason this is now important is that her van is starting to have some serious reliability issues. I fear we may not be able to make it through the year.

Btw, we ordered the AWD version. My understanding is the performance model will be created first since it is the most expensive.

Any insight/ideas/feedback appreciated!

Dave

Hi Dave, I don't know if Tesla is handling things differently for the Model Y, but for Model 3 there was some priority for previous owners. As 2nd owner of a Roadster, I was able to get my car a few months earlier than non-owners from same region ordering the first production config (i.e., LR RWD, black premium interior).

But if Model Y ramps more quickly than Model 3, or if you want a configuration that rolls out much later, then the time difference may not be large.

While I was waiting for Model 3, I could see the reservation in the my Tesla online account along with my Roadster. This helped confirm the linkage to prior owner status.

Basing this opinion solely on how they handled things with the 3, the give first priority to employees, then current owners, then non-owners. As others have observed, though, these three categories are then grouped by the priority of the model(s) being produced. As in, if they decide to produce the top of the line, AWD, performance model first and you've reserved a cheaper model, they'll fulfill orders for the high end model first. In such a case you'll see non-owners getting their high-end model before owners get their cheaper models.

There's no guarantee the the Y's rollout will be the same, though, so it's anybody's guess.

So do you think I should cancel the order and start over under my current account? The order is about a month old.
That's the way the computer knows.
Whether you should do it or not is up to you. It's how far back you would be in existing line vs how far up you may move.

And since Tesla really hasn't announced ANYTHING, everything is speculation.
AFAIK, the only "Tesla does it this way" is based on Model 3 introduction.

I currently have a used Model S that I got about a year ago. My wife and I love the car! So much so that we decided to get her a Model Y. So about a month ago I ordered one. I used all her information when I ordered it (which is different than how my car is registered).

Then last week I came across a thread that talked about how Tesla fills orders. That thread claimed that Tesla gives preference to current Tesla owners. Is there any truth to that? Even for someone that purchased a used one from Tesla? If so, does it make sense for me to contact Tesla to make sure they understand my wife's order is from the same household?

The reason this is now important is that her van is starting to have some serious reliability issues. I fear we may not be able to make it through the year.

Btw, we ordered the AWD version. My understanding is the performance model will be created first since it is the most expensive.

Any insight/ideas/feedback appreciated!

Dave
You can just ask them to merge your accounts and send the email from the one that has your current car .

Reactions: SoRandom
This is how to merge your accounts
F8325D7B-A6F9-4367-A8C0-1A9CCA268D8A.jpeg

Attachments

• 52926B2E-6A2E-4A3C-8330-2A329BE7A464.jpeg
    52926B2E-6A2E-4A3C-8330-2A329BE7A464.jpeg
    206.4 KB · Views: 51