Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pedal Location

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else noticed that the brake and accelerator pedal placement in the X makes it easily possible to hit both the brake and the accelerator pedal at the same time?

I admit I'm an unusual case (US size 16 shoes), but I've never had this problem before in other vehicles I've owned (BMWs, LEAF, Mustang, Camaro, Jeep), but it has happened to me 2 or 3 times since I started driving the X a few months ago (and really scared me the first time it happened, because I was doing a bit of a panic stop). By the way, I've had a Model S for about a month (while the X was being serviced) and didn't notice a problem with the pedal placement...it seems specific to the X (in my case, at least).

The good news is that the X is aware that I'm doing it and puts up a warning (something like "The brake and accelerator pedals are being used at the same time!"), but it doesn't do anything about it (it tries to accelerate and brake at the same time), which seems a bit dangerous. I've proposed to Tesla that they might want to modify the software to disable the accelerator pedal if the brake pedal is pressed, but haven't heard back from them (and I'm not sure if this will cause some other type of problem).

Anyway, I'm just curious if anyone else has had the problem.

Has anyone else noticed that the brake and accelerator pedal placement in the X makes it easily possible to hit both the brake and the accelerator pedal at the same time?

I admit I'm an unusual case (US size 16 shoes), but I've never had this problem before in other vehicles I've owned (BMWs, LEAF, Mustang, Camaro, Jeep), but it has happened to me 2 or 3 times since I started driving the X a few months ago (and really scared me the first time it happened, because I was doing a bit of a panic stop). By the way, I've had a Model S for about a month (while the X was being serviced) and didn't notice a problem with the pedal placement...it seems specific to the X (in my case, at least).

The good news is that the X is aware that I'm doing it and puts up a warning (something like "The brake and accelerator pedals are being used at the same time!"), but it doesn't do anything about it (it tries to accelerate and brake at the same time), which seems a bit dangerous. I've proposed to Tesla that they might want to modify the software to disable the accelerator pedal if the brake pedal is pressed, but haven't heard back from them (and I'm not sure if this will cause some other type of problem).

Anyway, I'm just curious if anyone else has had the problem.