Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pedestrian detection - emergency stop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving in Islington this afternoon. I was going slowly (10mph) on a standard road as there was traffic. A pedestrian stepped off the pavement as I was almost halfway past him, his intention being to let me go past and then cross the road behind me. Perfectly normal and common pedestrian behaviour.

My Tesla saw him, did the crashy beepy thing, and made an emergency stop right next to him. The pedestrian looked at me, shook his head in disbelief, and walked off.

I didn’t feel like winding down my window and blaming the car! I sheepishly drove off.

Same thing happened to me a while ago, driving down my street someone crossed the road to a parked car about 4-5 cars lengths in front of me, they waited for me to go past before getting in to their car, as soon as I drew level with them the car performed an emergency stop, I was only going about 10mph also.

Reactions: AnthonyLR
What Irks me a little about this is that you can turn it off but it turns back on at the start of the next journey, can't I have it sticky?

Safety first! (And a rear ender probably)

I've had cars like that before you can turn certain features off but it's a per drive basis.

I've not had this happen but have with a bike, that I wasn't even close too.

BEEP BEEP BEEP. Full brakes

Safety first! (And a rear ender probably)

I've had cars like that before you can turn certain features off but it's a per drive basis.

I've not had this happen but have with a bike, that I wasn't even close too.

BEEP BEEP BEEP. Full brakes

Yeah, it's when I get brakes locking up because someone steps around another pedestrian using the road. It isn't city friendly in its current config

Reactions: AnthonyLR
I suffered unexpected emergency braking recently. I was braking firmly, but certainly not hard, on the approach to a roundabout after the van in front of me stopped unexpectedly. I guess I had slowed to about 15-20mph when I experienced full on emergency braking with ABS hammering away. The car stopped at least 10-15 feet before the van which I’m confident I wouldn’t have hit if my normal braking had continued. I glanced in the mirror after I had stopped. The lady in the car behind, who thankfully had not rear ended me, did not appear impressed! Clearly the car could not know that the road had recently been resurfaced with a new anti-skid surface - but perhaps it could have eased the braking to use the available space?

Reactions: ringi and AnthonyLR
In normal times we visit our Daughter in America for several long trips per year & regularly take the Granddaughter out in her pushchair.

On literally every occasion where there's the slightest hint we might step off the sidewalk, cars come to a halt and wait for us to move, It's actually quite comical & we had one standoff that lasted about 30 seconds. The fear of litigation is so severe that I've assumed it's the reason why Teslas are so cautious with pedestrians.

Since the first time my Model 3 screeched, bleeped and braked hard I now turn Autopilot off if I see anyone ahead on my side of the road.

Auto pilot on city streets with pedestrians will need some more time to stabilize as human behavior does not always follow a set rule every time, therefore it is often difficult to model, needs lot of data to model the behavior of human more predictably. Till then we will all have to be cautious and be prepared for those hard stares from folks...

Many of these replies seem to imply that unexpected emergency braking is only occurring when the car is in autopilot mode. Mine certainly wasn’t, and re-reading the OP I don’t infer that was either. We know AP is ‘beta’ and unexpected things may happen, but is it OK for the car to brake suddenly for a shopping bag, or indeed a pedestrian walking in the gutter, when being driven in manual mode?